Boston Cruise terminal question

hisfirstm8

We will be in Boston for the day on our New England cruise in September.  We are trying to decide on the best way to get from the cruise ship into the city.  Can my friends on Cruise Critic help me?  I didn't' know if it was walk able or if there was a shuttle.  Not ever being there before, I didn't know how far out of town the ship would dock.  We are not taking a tour but just want to spend the day on our own.  Any suggestions would be great!!!!!

Barbara

The MBTA has a line (Silver Line) that goes to near the cruise terminal.  It's about a 5-10 minute walk.  Silver Line takes you to the Red Line at South Station (free transfer) and from there you can get to most anywhere you want

A 30-40 minute walk from the cruise terminal will also get you to most downtown attractions.

If you want to get to any of the historic areas its really the easiest to take an Uber/Lyft from the port (they are readily available). While it's technically possible to walk from the pier to the financial distract it's a hoof. South Boston, the area you would walk through, used to be seedy only a few years ago, but now is a very nice residential area with many hotels/restaurants/bars. Worth a visit in its own right, but it isn't the historical core of the city. 

• Like 1

The Silver Line bus is a good starting point.  Depending on exactly where you dock, it should be no more than a 5 minute walk.  There are stops at each end of Black Falcon Ave.  However, it would be helpful if you could identify more exactly what you want to see in Boston - some places are easier to get to than others by public transit and some places really require a taxi or Uber.

13 hours ago, hisfirstm8 said:

We would like to see some of the more historic sights, but not ever visiting before, realize we can't see everything.  We will be in port from 8:00 - 7:00 pm.

Looks like you would be on Adventure on a Wed in Sep.  What we often recommend is to take a cab to the Constitution to see the museum and ship.  Museum opens at 9 and ship at 10.  Then take the MBTA water taxi to Long Wharf for a mini upper harbor cruise.  Walk along the waterfront Christopher Columbus Park into the North End to pick up the Freedom Trail to walk back to Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market.  Eat lunch in the North End or Faneuil Hall.  Walk the Freedom Trail backwards to Boston Common.  To get back to the ship from Park St Station take the MBTA Red Line Direction Braintree/Ashmont any train 2 stops to South Station for a free transfer to the Silver Line Bus SL2 to Dry Dock Ave to get back to Black Falcon Terminal.  

Feel free to post back with questions.

Edited by 138east
  • Like 2

On 7/16/2019 at 3:47 PM, hisfirstm8 said:

We would like to see some of the more historic sights, but not ever visiting before, realize we can't see everything. 

You can cover a lot more than you think you can-- Boston is one of the more compact and easily walkable of the major northeastern cities. It's not even close to as vast as New York-- the main historic areas are tiny in comparison. 

Having lived there for a couple years, I tended to walk most places as its easy, generally flat, and not great distances. I would Uber out of the port area to the Constitution as someone has mentioned and then take the water taxi back. Once there you can pick up the Freedom Trail and do some walking. If the Constitution isn't of interest, take an Uber to Boston Common and pick up the trail there. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

We took a shuttle bus from the cruise port into the city.  However, we walked back & found it quite lovely & do-able on a pretty day.  There is a harbor walk with nice views, safe & enjoyable.  It is a bit of a distance, but my 80 year old husband who walks slowly was able to do it without a problem.  He did require a couple beers when we got back, lol.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Crusin Karen said:

Also, is Quincy Market walkable from cruise terminal?  

Walkable in the physical sense but not really practical-- would take the best part of 45 minutes and with not much more than newish hotel and condos to look at along the way. 

There is both public transportation or its an 8 minute, $8 uber. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Crusin Karen said:

What about HOHO buses?  We will be on Sunrise.  We would want to get on the bus and stay for the whole route and just sightsee from the bus.  Also, is Quincy Market walkable from cruise terminal?  

The HOHO is a great option. We stayed on (great driver/guide) and no one wanted to hop off. However we did finally hop off at Quincy Market...had lunch walked around the area a bit and then took the HOHO back to the ship....this was a very easy way to spend the day.

• Like 1

Thanks to you both!  That's exactly what I was thinking: staying on the bus for the whole trip, then walking to Quincy Market, but guess I should break the day up by H'ingoff lol.   What makes me  nervous: we have done HOHO buses before and when we want to HOn there is never any room and we end up spending an hour waiting for a bus that has room for us.  Not fun! 

• Like 2

We were on the Carnival Sunrise last week and our last stop was Boston.  We took the Old Town Trolley Tour with Hop on Hop Off.  The tour lasted 90 minutes and took us around Boston.  After the tour, the bus stopped near Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market and we had the option of staying on the bus which would take us back to the ship (one couple did that) or, we could get off, explore on our own and then go back to that stop where a trolley would take us directly back to the ship.  This tour also offered the option of transferring to the Hop On/Hop Off tour.  We were talking to one couple who transferred to the Hop On/Hop Off Trolley and the man said it was kind of stressful.  The trolleys were often full and they would have to wait for another.  

After the 90 minute tour, we got off at Quincy Market, had lunch and walked around before we went back to that nearby stop where a Trolley took us directly back to the ship.  Boston is a very nice city and I would like to go back one day to spend more time there.  This was my first visit.  

Edited by antmaril
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/16/2019 at 9:20 AM, hisfirstm8 said:

We will be in Boston for the day on our New England cruise in September.  We are trying to decide on the best way to get from the cruise ship into the city.  Can my friends on Cruise Critic help me?  I didn't' know if it was walk able or if there was a shuttle.  Not ever being there before, I didn't know how far out of town the ship would dock.  We are not taking a tour but just want to spend the day on our own.  Any suggestions would be great!!!!!

Barbara

Cab ride to sea Aquarium and you can walk to the north End. Cash is king there. Galleria Umberto excellent food and modern pastry nearby on Hanover st. Original Regina pizza is excellent. No name Restaurant for great seafood chowder. J Hooks lobster rolls. Harpoon Brewery beer hall fun. Good walking shoes for the cobblestones. Paul Revere house and first church nearby. Boston Island harbor tours out to old civil war fort/prison. TripAdvisor yelp for specific information. Enjoy your day in Boston.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/17/2019 at 5:40 AM, 138east said:

Looks like you would be on Adventure on a Wed in Sep.  What we often recommend is to take a cab to the Constitution to see the museum and ship.  Museum opens at 9 and ship at 10.  Then take the MBTA water taxi to Long Wharf for a mini upper harbor cruise.  Walk along the waterfront Christopher Columbus Park into the North End to pick up the Freedom Trail to walk back to Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market.  Eat lunch in the North End or Faneuil Hall.  Walk the Freedom Trail backwards to Boston Common.  To get back to the ship from Park St Station take the MBTA Red Line Direction Braintree/Ashmont any train 2 stops to South Station for a free transfer to the Silver Line Bus SL2 to Dry Dock Ave to get back to Black Falcon Terminal.  

Feel free to post back with questions.

This is exactly what I was thinking.  Another option is to pick up the HOHO in Charlestown, which should get you to just about all of the sights.  When done, just take a taxi/Uber back to the ship from wherever.  This does require a little planning for how to spend your day, but you should have time to see a lot.

• 4 weeks later...

We have been to Boston on NE/Canada Sailings with Cunard's QM2 many time and enjoyed our visits to Boston.

We always sail in and dock at the Black Falcon Terminal where there is plenty of space for the QM2.

It is quite a thrill especially on the morning of the 4th of July during their Operation Sail on a beautiful day.

After clearance, we use the courtesy shuttle to Quincy Market where we like to do a walk thru the area since we have taken most of the tours offered to see Boston. We especially like walking to the Boston Commons and the Public Gardens beautiful at that time of year.

The last time we sailed we took the American President tour which was very interesting but very long day. The General tour of the City, Harvard Yard and Cambridge and Freedom Trail.

But most of all we like strolling thru the streets. Near Quincy Market there are street entertainers, a lot activity around the Market Area.

Only location we enjoy eating is Joe's American Bar & Grill on Newbury Street. Still trying to get to the Union Oyster Restaurant near Quincy.

Unfortunately due to the activities on board, we never got to remain in Boston at night to experience that time of day.

• Like 1

I agree with using the silver line public transit. You can obtain the schedule and all of the stops at the MBTA website.You can take the silver line from Black Falcon Pier to South station. The Rose FItzgerald Kennedy greenway is a public park that extends from South Station to the North end of Boston. I think the total distance is 1.5 miles, and it's a very nice park. 

All of the most of the historical sites that visitors like to see are walking distance from South station. Fanuiel Hall, Boston Common, Massachusetts state house, Boston Public Garden, Chinatown, North End )Boston's little Italy are nearby, as is the New England Aquarium. The Silver line has 2 runs that leave from South Station. One goes to Logan Airport and also to Black Falcon Pier, and the other does not go to the pier, so it would be wise to look at the schedule on line if you are going to use it so you can map out your route ahead of time. 

The Silver Line SL2 Bus goes to Black Falcon Terminal, but sometimes it terminates at Silver Line Way, so you want to check with the driver to be sure because you can’t transfer buses at the outdoor Silver Line bus stop.

The SL1 goes to the airport.  The MBTA website lists an SL3 that goes to Chelsea.  You don’t want these buses.  Other Silver Line buses run only on the street and don’t use the Silver Line part of South Station.

It’s a bit confusing, so if this is of interest, post back with questions.

We were on a Princess cruise in September. Couldn't book the shuttle ahead of the cruise but as soon as the ship left NYC They offered the shuttle bus to the "city center" for $15.95 pp. The drop off / pick up was near Quincy market on Old Atlantic ave, between Milk & Central. It worked out great, we walked around the North end, ate at the Green Dragon, & back to the cruise terminal easily on time.