Meeting people

lenquixote66

When you cruise do you like to keep to yourself or meet and spend time with people ?

In the past 8 years we have met and become good friends with people on every cruise we have been on.In most cases we have booked cruises with these people 

• Like 1

My (Spanish-blooded) wife will talk to anyone who'll listen!

She is gregarious.

Me? Not so much, but I'm certainly not afraid of strangers

like how I've read here, in some sections. Some folks....I dunno....

On a Southern Caribbean cruise, it can be handy at breakfast

to let our table mates know that we actually live on the next island coming up..

so please fire away with questions re. destination

and it's always a pleasure to help out with any worries and queries.

Mullins-28.jpg

• Like 2

I'm an extreme introvert, DH not so much.  I do find it easy, though, to strike up light conversations with people we see around the cruise ship.  I think that it has so much to do with the fact that when it's all over, we'll never see them again 🙂  I can't say that we've ever met anyone on a cruise that we developed a strong relationship with.  

28 minutes ago, Schoifmom said:

I'm an extreme introvert, DH not so much. 

I think that it has so much to do with the fact that when it's all over,

we'll never see them again 🙂 

I can't say that we've ever met anyone on a cruise

that we developed a strong relationship with. ===> You're certainly not alone in that!!

Meeting and talking is not always about making friends for the future.

Sometimes it does work out (rarely?)

but for a lot more of those meetings, you'll just meet and talk -

and each of you will learn a little something

- and yes indeed, you'll never ever see ea.other again, but that's OK!

you met and you interchanged ideas and experiences.

It is not time lost.

It is never time lost, even all those years you spent

with your dreadful First Spouse. Even during that verrry looong time lol

you learned many things along the way.

We enjoy meeting people but don't set out to make lifelong friends, although we've made a few--five total in six cruises.  

That said, there are times we'd rather be by ourselves for a meal or just some quiet time together watching to ocean.  We know and respect that others feel the same way, and give people their space.

• Like 1

Both! I make "cruise friends". Folks who are sitting next to me at the pool, a bar, or my dinner table. If I see them around later we say hi or smile.

If I'm not in the mood to be social I'll take food to my room, sit on my balcony or wear ear phones at the pool. However, there is only one person that I've ever exchanged contact information with while on a cruise.

• Like 1

We tend to be low key cruiser's and usually keep to ourselves...light conversation with fellow cruiser's is fine but we won't ever force the issue and don't want to know or hear about your entire life. 

We've been married 42 years and have a large family (adult children, their spouses and grandchildren) that we take with us once a year...our other cruises it's just the two of us and we enjoy the peace and quiet of just being together.

I don't cruise to meet or mingle.  I cruise to relax, refresh, rejuvenate myself.  I engage in mindless chit chat with people all day long in my job.  I want to just find a place to relax, put on my headphones, listen to some music and maybe read an ebook.  I'll let others socialize as they want.  

• Like 1

We mostly keep to ourselves and enjoy spending time with just the two of us.  However, we also enjoy meeting new people for casual conversations.  We never spend enough time talking to people for friendships to develop, but I wouldn't be against it.   I think it's great that people meet other people on cruises and like each other enough to plan future cruises together or just keep in touch.  Good for them!

4 hours ago, Aplmac said:

My (Spanish-blooded) wife will talk to anyone who'll listen!

She is gregarious.

Me? Not so much, but I'm certainly not afraid of strangers

like how I've read here, in some sections. Some folks....I dunno....

On a Southern Caribbean cruise, it can be handy at breakfast

to let our table mates know that we actually live on the next island coming up..

so please fire away with questions re. destination

and it's always a pleasure to help out with any worries and queries.

Mullins-28.jpg

Many years ago I worked with a woman who grew up in Barbados. She went back for nearly every summer vacation.I knew that one day I would have to go there and did so in 2011. We have been there about 10 times and look forward to being there again in a few months.

We once met a couple pre-cruise. We were on the same roll call as them. They lived on Long Island, one town away form my mother-in-law. When we visited her, we met the other couple.

We did not go to our port, Copenhagen, a day early (actually stayed afterwards).They did go and met others from our roll call. We found out they said how nice we were, and they told us onboard (we were right behind them at the muster drill), how nice the other people were.

We also saw them or at least called them a few more times when we were on Long Island.

7 hours ago, Aplmac said:

you learned many things along the way.

Which is one of my favorite things.  Learning new things.

And a very eloquent reply btw.  Thanks.

• Like 1

I love conversation . That is probably why I tend to post so much on here.

I have 3 tee shirts that I wear on cruises ,all will generate conversation.

On sea day number one I wear my Born In Brooklyn tee shirt.

On sea day number two I wear a tee shirt from the part of Brooklyn that I lived in 36 years.

On sea day number three I wear a tee shirt from the town I live in now.

No matter where the cruise starts from there always are people from these places.

On a NCL cruise in 2015 more than 100 people came over to talk to me.

In many cases it turned out that the people I met knew at least one person that I knew.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I love conversation . That is probably why I tend to post so much on here.

I have 3 tee shirts that I wear on cruises ,all will generate conversation.

On sea day number one I wear my Born In Brooklyn tee shirt.

On sea day number two I wear a tee shirt from the part of Brooklyn that I lived in 36 years.

On sea day number three I wear a tee shirt from the town I live in now.

No matter where the cruise starts from there always are people from these places.

On a NCL cruise in 2015 more than 100 people came over to talk to me.

In many cases it turned out that the people I met knew at least one person that I knew.

I sometimes wear Harley Davidson tee shirts. I met a lot of other HD riders on cruises that way. 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, davekathy said:

I sometimes wear Harley Davidson tee shirts. I met a lot of other HD riders on cruises that way. 

I am sure that you meet a lot of HD riders anywhere. I have an interesting Hells Angels story . In 2007 I was walking down the street of their NYC headquarters .I was hanging out outside when a guy came out and told me to move along.I told him that a guy I knew rode with the Angels in the 60’s.When I told them who they ushered me inside because the guy I knew was like a god to them.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

I am sure that you meet a lot of HD riders anywhere. I have an interesting Hells Angels story . In 2007 I was walking down the street of their NYC headquarters .I was hanging out outside when a guy came out and told me to move along.I told him that a guy I knew rode with the Angels in the 60’s.When I told them who they ushered me inside because the guy I knew was like a god to them.

East 3rd Street ?