Alaska in mid or late September, 2019?

gjb2019

We've never been on a cruise before. Weather-wise, is September a significant negative risk for Inside passage cruises to Alaska? Or, might it be okay? We'd love to hear your experiences / advice. We have a choice of two Inside Passage cruises, one leaving on Sept 15th and the other on Sept 22nd (the later one is a better deal price-wise) - would it make any difference (for weather risk) which one we chose?

I've done an early Sept, the first week and the reason price goes down are two fold

1) Demand summer has ended and ability for anyone with kids to either bring them, leave them  and find care is way down ( won't discuss leaving them home, a good hot button topic here, LOL )

2)  Weather is less than ideal, just look at the internet trackers, it will be colder, nights longer, and rain comes in more often than not.

Of course others will chime in about a perfect weather sailing. 

On our sailing we had the most gorgeous / chilly day we could dream of for Glacier Bay, couldn't have been better, but on our last Port of Call things were so bad we did,n't even go down for dinner, safest place to be was laying down in the bed.  My wife who never gets seashick was ill for two days from the motion, and I was numb with meds,   Contrast the Sept sailing where we got rained on in 2/3 ports and had to wear jackets for 40 degree Glacier sailing, our summer sailing with kids a decade later was all shorts except open whale watching where we had to wear a jacket.  

I'd always opt for more expensive and crowds if your schedule and tolerance of the crowds enables it.

You should pose your question in the Alaska forums as more diehard alaska cruisers are there to tell you also about excursions.  For example the helicopter/dog-sled will be shut down for sure by September, as might some other things.

Edited by chipmaster

6 minutes ago, gjb2019 said:

We've never been on a cruise before. Weather-wise, is September a significant negative risk for Inside passage cruises to Alaska? Or, might it be okay? We'd love to hear your experiences / advice. We have a choice of two Inside Passage cruises, one leaving on Sept 15th and the other on Sept 22nd (the later one is a better deal price-wise) - would it make any difference (for weather risk) which one we chose?

Our first Alaska cruise was mid/late September (Sep 18).  Aside from the earlier night time darkness, it wasn't much different (weather-wise) from our early June cruise.

That said, the weather in Alaska is quite unpredictable.  Just because it was good last year at the same time, or yesterday, or an hour ago, doesn't mean it will be for your cruise.

Thank you both!

Chipmaster:  uhm, where do I find the Alaska forums? I have looked through the forums list but do not see it...?

OOPS - never mind; found it! Thanks again.

Edited by gjb2019

We had sleet on the Sunday of Labor weekend one year. There are several reports of heavy windstorms, to the point of skipping ports, and damage to ships, in September. There is a reason the cruise fares drop markedly in September.

And, of course, you could have good weather. No one is going to be able to predict it for you. There is a risk of good weather, and a risk of bad.

Thanks, everyone - appreciate the comments and advice.

Never having been on a cruise, and not knowing for sure if cruising is something that we'd enjoy, makes it a bit of a difficult decision. I guess it's going to boil down to how we feel about taking risks, lol.

while Alaska is on my bucket list, I am not sure its the best option for a first time cruiser.  are you wanting to leave from a Left Coast port?   then  look into Mexican Riviera.. or one of the sailings that hit San Francisco, Monterey etc with the requisite  stop in Mexico to satisfy  the law.   Catalina island is a great port as well.  

We cruised mid early-mid September 2017 RT out of Seattle.  Had rain in a couple of ports and warm and sunny in others.  You really don't know what you will get and one week won't make  a difference weather wise as that time of year, you pack for unpredictable weather. 

I would be more concerned about whether excursions/tour operators are still running or have availability.

Edited by Herfnerd

As first time cruisers I would plan the Alaska cruise for June, July or August. Late September the weather will not be the best, and the cruise season is in the process of shutting down for the winter. 

I've taken 5 Alaskan cruises, and the best one was in September.  You never know.  I prefer May or September for many of the reasons already stated in this thread.

Roz

Many years ago I completed 2 full and consecutive seasons in Alaska right through to the end of September. As previous posts mentioned, there's very good reasons for cruises getting cheaper later in September and it is not just weather.

While Alaska weather can be unpredictable at any time of year, it is even more unpredictable as you get further into September. I recall some days in Glacier Bay being cooler, but brilliant sunshine and then torrential rain and wind the following week. So if booking in September pack for wind & rain. I also experienced a significant storm each year, so be prepared for a little movement. If subject to seasickness, I definitely wouldn't consider R/T Seattle, as they spend > 2 days transiting open ocean west of Vancouver Island.

In addition to weather, expect much shorter days and the potential of visibility being reduced by clouds/rain/fog. As a positive, the ports are not crowded.

• 1 month later...
On 7/16/2019 at 11:38 AM, gjb2019 said:

We did our first cruise last year to Alaska on the final sailing of the season (so embarked 9/21). Generally good weather throughout, Glacier Bay was clear most of the day although not sunny but apparently was great for photos because no sun glare. Only 1 evening of rough seas. One huge upside was shops on ports with end-of-season sales. This year we are going 9/1, so just 3 weeks earlier (I wanted children to be pretty much back in school LOL). I think it's a fine time to cruise to Alaska.

• Like 1