AT&T cruise package versus Carnival Wifi

richelle21

I am trying to decide between getting AT&T's cruise package or Carnival's Wi-Fi plan.  After talking to an AT&T rep over chat, it sounds like the AT&T package is only good for talk and text at sea, but if I want to go to CNN and read an article, or check the weather, I have to use Carnival's plan.  After reading some articles here, assuming it's on a covered island, I can get unlimited talk and text at port and at sea? With Carnival's plan, I can use Wi-Fi calling and text message people while at sea?  If so, I do not see a reason to go with AT&T's plan.  Am I missing something?  I do not plan on taking my phone off the ship if I don't have to, so on shore calling and texting doesn't matter to me.  Has anyone used the $100 package to get data at sea (not through cellular).  Thank you in advance fore your help.

WiFi. Set up your voice-over-internet at home -- do this by going somewhere with wifi, put phone in airplane mode, turn WiFi on. Find the settings for voice over wifi and turn it on. Done. (Turn airplane mode off.)

You are not missing anything.

Don't know which is the $100 package. Have not cruised with Carnival but have had ship's internet/wifi on our last two cruises: RCI and HAL. It is much better than the old days! But still a bit slow, more so the farther you are from the equator (band of communication satellites there). My husband was able to do his fairly high-bandwidth medical charting, email with no problem, and even made a conference call-over-wifi from north of France!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, crystalspin said:

WiFi. Set up your voice-over-internet at home -- do this by going somewhere with wifi, put phone in airplane mode, turn WiFi on. Find the settings for voice over wifi and turn it on. Done. (Turn airplane mode off.)

You are not missing anything.

Don't know which is the $100 package. Have not cruised with Carnival but have had ship's internet/wifi on our last two cruises: RCI and HAL. It is much better than the old days! But still a bit slow, more so the farther you are from the equator (band of communication satellites there). My husband was able to do his fairly high-bandwidth medical charting, email with no problem, and even made a conference call-over-wifi from north of France!

Thank you.  This is our first cruise.  I don't expect need quite as much bandwidth as that thankfully.  Now I have to figure out if the top tier is worth it.  Its a higher speed then the mid grade.  If I were just doing Facebook posts without photos, the mid-grade would be fine.  I just don't know how long it will take to upload photos on that plan.  If it's extremely slow, I may regret not getting the upper tier.  Hopefully someone who has been on Carnival can speak the difference in speed between the two packages.  For now though, I think I'll skip the AT&T plan.

If it's a higher speed, I'd say go for it. Because your time is money!

Some cruise lines their grades are not actually low-mid-high speed but all the same speed, just more or less sites banned. So when you sign up for Social media -- those are the only sites you can go to. Surfing more, Streaming more. but all the same speed or that is what I understand.

Post on the CCL board with a descriptive subject and see if anyone can help you in re: faster speed or just fewer sites blocked.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/133-carnival-cruise-lines/

Richelle, a lot of the ships have spotty wi-fi... they're making improvements but only one ship at a time (when in dry dock). I would only advise using Carnival's wifi for calling if you will be on Horizon, Vista, Panorama, Radiance, or Sunrise. (Not actually sure about the last two... the first three have upgraded their premium wi-fi to support Netflix.) And, yeah I don't know what the "$100" plan is as wi-fi is priced per day. I think you'd have to have Premium for it to possibly work for calls. Texting would work on the middle tier probably. Or just get the social media level and use Facebook messenger. 

I'm curious for myself... what was the pricing for AT&T?

3 minutes ago, lauren009 said:

Richelle, a lot of the ships have spotty wi-fi... they're making improvements but only one ship at a time (when in dry dock). I would only advise using Carnival's wifi for calling if you will be on Horizon, Vista, Panorama, Radiance, or Sunrise. (Not actually sure about the last two... the first three have upgraded their premium wi-fi to support Netflix.) And, yeah I don't know what the "$100" plan is as wi-fi is priced per day. I think you'd have to have Premium for it to possibly work for calls. Texting would work on the middle tier probably. Or just get the social media level and use Facebook messenger. 

I'm curious for myself... what was the pricing for AT&T?

The pricing is for 30 days and it ends automatically after the 30 days. No need to call to cancel. 

For $50 you get 

• Talk: 50 minutes, overage $2/min.
  • Text: Unlimited

For $100 you get:

• Data: 200MB, overage $2/MB
  • Talk: Unlimited

From what I learned, you don’t get data on the ship unless it’s within a few miles of the shore. So I would have to get Carnival’s WiFi plan. I will be on the Pride, so no streaming for me. I’m ok with that since a Netflix and Amazon Prime video allow you to download shows and movies. I don’t plan on watching much TV anyway. I was kind of hoping someone who has used the plan, can tell me the AT&T guy was mistaken and they did get data while at sea without Carnival’s WiFi plan. Wishful thinking. 

5 hours ago, crystalspin said:

If it's a higher speed, I'd say go for it. Because your time is money!

Some cruise lines their grades are not actually low-mid-high speed but all the same speed, just more or less sites banned. So when you sign up for Social media -- those are the only sites you can go to. Surfing more, Streaming more. but all the same speed or that is what I understand.

Post on the CCL board with a descriptive subject and see if anyone can help you in re: faster speed or just fewer sites blocked.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/133-carnival-cruise-lines/

Carnivals “Premium” plan specifically states higher speed:

From e-mail to Skype, our Premium plan promises the fastest possible connection, at speeds up to 3 times faster than our Value Plan. Supports Skype video calling, where coverage allows.

Now, that could mean going from  1 mbps to 3 mbps, which isn’t much of a difference and not worth the additional $5 per day per person. Apparently if one of us gets the WiFi plan, we both have to get the WiFi plan. It’s not just one person.   I also noticed this in the fine print. 

• Cellular-network-dependent WiFi Calling and Facetime services are also not supported

WiFi calling is not cellular dependent so that statement is confusing. 

Thank you for the tip. I’ll do that. 

Right, but what I've heard is that it may still be spotty. But they did dry-dock the Pride this year, so maybe the made improvements. I was just thinking that to support internet calling you'd need something good enough to also support streaming. I understood that you weren't trying to actually watch netflix. 

Some phones, or verizon, or iPhone can now call over wi-fi. Not sure why. Maybe for additional service in rural areas without towers nearby. 

Agreed that Google voice would not be in that category. 

It's per device. So if you want to text/call each other you both have to have it. But you're not required too just because you're both in the same cabin. You can take turns with the wifi depending on who wants to use it. But only if you're not trying to call each other.

8 minutes ago, lauren009 said:

It's per device. So if you want to text/call each other you both have to have it. But you're not required too just because you're both in the same cabin. You can take turns with the wifi depending on who wants to use it. But only if you're not trying to call each other.

You are right, we do not have to have two. I must have misread that. Thank you. You just saved me $100. 🙂

10 minutes ago, lauren009 said:

Right, but what I've heard is that it may still be spotty. But they did dry-dock the Pride this year, so maybe the made improvements. I was just thinking that to support internet calling you'd need something good enough to also support streaming. I understood that you weren't trying to actually watch netflix. 

Some phones, or verizon, or iPhone can now call over wi-fi. Not sure why. Maybe for additional service in rural areas without towers nearby. 

Agreed that Google voice would not be in that category. 

That makes sense. Especially if they don’t have some kind of QOS on their network that puts internet call quality, over general internet traffic.  I think that’s specifically reserved for VoIP phones anyway. Since Lauren009 cleared up a misunderstanding I had regarding both of us having to sign up for the plan, I think I will go with premium. My husband doesn’t want cellular or internet service, but I know we will probably need it at some point, so I’ll sign up just for me. Thank you for your help. 

One plan is better for ports.  One plan is better for at sea.

But in ports, you can also find wifi hotspots, so wifi calling (and texting) will work there. Ask a crew member about wifi hotspots in ports.  They have the best info, because they use them.

BEST is to switch to T-Mobile. 😄   Unlimited text and data (minimum 2G speed), 25 cents per minute calling, in over 210 countries.  Plus support wifi calling.

I have T-Mobile, and get an on board internet plan.

On RCI, the two plans are different download speeds.  0.5 and 5.0 mbps.  But on board, the older ships, the ping can be over 600 ms, leading to slow response.

3 hours ago, richelle21 said:

From what I learned, you don’t get data on the ship unless it’s within a few miles of the shore. 

Is that true? Shipboard cellular signals tie to the satellite.

9 minutes ago, Underwatr said:

Is that true? Shipboard cellular signals tie to the satellite.

I believe you are right, but that doesn’t mean I will be given access to the internet with that system. It may be capable, but they may restrict it to talk and text. For good measure, I may reach out to an AT&T rep again and see if I get the same answer. 

I know that T-Mobile doesn't connect to any ship-based cellular data - only land-based. I thought the other services were different.

By the way, the overage rate of $2/MB will get very expensive very quickly, especially if you haven't nailed down every app that is used to grabbing an update over cellular data when it wants to. A photo upload can easily be 10-20 MB.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Underwatr said:

I know that T-Mobile doesn't connect to any ship-based cellular data - only land-based. I thought the other services were different.

By the way, the overage rate of $2/MB will get very expensive very quickly, especially if you haven't nailed down every app that is used to grabbing an update over cellular data when it wants to. A photo upload can easily be 10-20 MB.

I plan on having cellular data turned off the entire time I’m on the cruise. I’ve have traveled abroad before, and heard the horror stories of massive bills. I did familiarize myself with what else to turn off in the off chance I have to turn on cellular data. I don’t need the twitter app automatically updating or the weather channel app downloading weather information in the background. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, richelle21 said:

The pricing is for 30 days and it ends automatically after the 30 days. No need to call to cancel. 

For $50 you get 

• Talk: 50 minutes, overage $2/min.

For $100 you get:

• Data: 200MB, overage $2/MB
  • Talk: Unlimited

From what I learned, you don’t get data on the ship unless it’s within a few miles of the shore. So I would have to get Carnival’s WiFi plan. I will be on the Pride, so no streaming for me. I’m ok with that since a Netflix and Amazon Prime video allow you to download shows and movies. I don’t plan on watching much TV anyway. I was kind of hoping someone who has used the plan, can tell me the AT&T guy was mistaken and they did get data while at sea without Carnival’s WiFi plan. Wishful thinking. 

TBH, you aren't going to get any of it on the ship.  There are no cell towers at sea.  What you will get is a connection to the Cellular At Sea satellite which will create an additional charge for you.  Go with the wifi plan.  

• Like 1

On 7/17/2019 at 7:14 AM, SRF said:

One plan is better for ports.  One plan is better for at sea.

But in ports, you can also find wifi hotspots, so wifi calling (and texting) will work there. Ask a crew member about wifi hotspots in ports.  They have the best info, because they use them.

BEST is to switch to T-Mobile. 😄   Unlimited text and data (minimum 2G speed), 25 cents per minute calling, in over 210 countries.  Plus support wifi calling.

I have T-Mobile, and get an on board internet plan.

On RCI, the two plans are different download speeds.  0.5 and 5.0 mbps.  But on board, the older ships, the ping can be over 600 ms, leading to slow response.

Edited by norwega
more info

Do you know anything about esim with TMobile?  I have an iPhoneXs Max on ATT.  I don't need a connection onboard as I know how spotty it is at sea.  I don't want to spend my time while we're in port searching for and spending time in a place that has free wifi, but would like to upload photos to the cloud while on land, sightseeing.  We're traveling to Mexico, Costa Rica, Ecuador, Peru, and Chile, with 5 days after the cruise in Chile prior to flying home to Seattle.  TIA 

I used to work for AT&T and can tell you that unless you are making calls from the ship, you are wasting money.

Also, if you are cruising to any ports in Mexico (Cozumel, etc.) then your normal monthly plan should include free calling to and from those areas since they are part of AT&T's North American cellular network.
Talk to your rep and make sure that is enabled on your account (it has to be activated on older accounts).
However it doesn't cost anything extra.

We always keep our phones on airplane mode until we hit Mexico and then call/text anyone we need to.
Also, with that enabled you have a certain amount of data you can use down there as well, so you can use it to browse, etc. while you are in port.
Just make sure you aren't connected to Carnival's wifi while doing that.

Have fun!

4 minutes ago, Chervil said:

I used to work for AT&T and can tell you that unless you are making calls from the ship, you are wasting money.

Also, if you are cruising to any ports in Mexico (Cozumel, etc.) then your normal monthly plan should include free calling to and from those areas since they are part of AT&T's North American cellular network.
Talk to your rep and make sure that is enabled on your account (it has to be activated on older accounts).
However it doesn't cost anything extra.

We always keep our phones on airplane mode until we hit Mexico and then call/text anyone we need to.
Also, with that enabled you have a certain amount of data you can use down there as well, so you can use it to browse, etc. while you are in port.
Just make sure you aren't connected to Carnival's wifi while doing that.

Have fun!

Thank you for the confirmation. We are actually going to the Bahamas. I was thinking of doing the day pass instead. I have not dug to deep into it that yet, to find out exactly what it gives me as far as talk, text, and data. I did sign up for Carnivals premium plan for just me. I may ask my sister to sign up for the value plan so we can compare notes. That will tell me if I need the premium plan next time.  Thanks for the tips too. 

8 minutes ago, richelle21 said:

My sister’s boyfriend has T-mobile. I didn’t see anything about unlimited data for their international plan. Where do I find more details about that?

I don't know what T-mobile has and need to go the store to talk to them.  I know that 6gb is not enough for us for a 3 week trip, downloading photos while in port.  Ha, I probably take 6gb of photos per day!