Anyone hearing anything regarding Puerto Rico?

Sersee

I know Royal Caribbean has been rerouting to Tortola. 

My my friend who lives in PR messaged me saying she isn’t sure about me being able to tour San Juan due to the protests. 

I was just curious where Carnival might reroute?

This doesn't answer the OP's question but is some info I learned today.

My sister-in-law is visiting PR now and was in San Juan today. She is doing a land vacation there, not a cruise.  She was actually able to video some of what was going on. There was a lot of yelling but that was all she saw. The police were everywhere. Some locals said the worst mayhem was Monday night, but,  it was safe to move around old San Juan today. So she and her 2 kids, were able to go on their sunset cruise. 

Edited by RumpunchGirl

42 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

Vid I saw on a newsfeed showed police and protestors clashing on Forteleza under the umbrellas.  Look like later in the day.  Hoping it ebbs soon.  But Tortola would be a good port to switch too.

We don't sail until August so I imagine there won't be any issues, but you are so right crewsweeper.  I would be thrilled to be diverted to Tortola.  LOL

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

And an additional question is what would they do about cruises that embark from San Juan if things get worse?

Yes, I’m a little concerned about what Carnival, RCCL and the other lines that embark from San Juan will do if the situation does not ease soon.  It would be a huge logistical & monetary nightmare to depart anywhere else.  

My cruise is not until September & I would be comfortable visiting OSJ/San Juan areas not directly impacted if it continued.

1 hour ago, soonernstlouis said:

Yes, I’m a little concerned about what Carnival, RCCL and the other lines that embark from San Juan will do if the situation does not ease soon.  It would be a huge logistical & monetary nightmare to depart anywhere else.  

My cruise is not until September & I would be comfortable visiting OSJ/San Juan areas not directly impacted if it continued.

I would imagine except for passengers living or staying in Puerto Rico, all passengers would be coming in by airplane. Changing the embarkation port would truly be a nightmare.

Hopefully there will not be this problem by September for your cruise. 

7 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

Vid I saw on a newsfeed showed police and protestors clashing on Forteleza under the umbrellas.  Look like later in the day.  Hoping it ebbs soon.  But Tortola would be a good port to switch too.

Yes, Tortola would be EXCELLENT. Only ported there once, but it was a beautiful little island.

19 hours ago, Sersee said:

I know Royal Caribbean has been rerouting to Tortola. 

My my friend who lives in PR messaged me saying she isn’t sure about me being able to tour San Juan due to the protests. 

I was just curious where Carnival might reroute?

My guess, Anything long term, the cruise lines will add their private islands which will please most cruisers, and the cruise lines will save port fees!

Edited by AmBear

4 hours ago, MeganGC1983 said:

Saw on FB they took down the umbrellas on Forteleza so they couldn’t be used as weapons. 😞

That's unfortunate. We're scheduled to be in San Juan in less than 2 weeks and wanted to see them. Hopefully this will all blow over and the umbrellas will be back up. 

• Like 1

Here's is a youtube live feed link that just ended..3 hours long..Towards the end of the feed protests were ramping up big time...streets are crowded and traffic horrible. The citizens want the Governor to resign. Two Government officials were arrested last week on corruption charges.

Cruises that embark and debark in San Juan would be the ones that could face major logistical issues. Otherwise, the ship can just bypass the San Juan port stop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Oz4wn1R-ng

46 minutes ago, AmBear said:

My guess, Anything long term, the cruise lines will add their private islands which will please most cruisers, and the cruise lines will save port fees!

Although I am looking forward to PR ... I wouldn’t complain if it meant Half Moon Cay!

PR is an interesting place.  Its people and food are simply amazing.  Never had such great food.  Great culture.

It does have some issues.  I have never seen police dressed the way they are there.  Like in a combat area.  There are some tough places there for sure.  I remember a triathlon runner got shot there a few years ago (see URL).

Hope it makes its way back.

https://www.runnersworld.com/news/a20852332/shooting-during-puerto-rico-triathlon-wounds-two-competitors/

2 hours ago, bjfitz0703 said:

It does have some issues.  I have never seen police dressed the way they are there.  Like in a combat area.  There are some tough places there for sure.  I remember a triathlon runner got shot there a few years ago (see URL).

Shades of the Boston Marathon bombing, but not as bad.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Sersee said:

Although I am looking forward to PR ... I wouldn’t complain if it meant Half Moon Cay!

Same here, love the beaches on all the private islands!

Carnival, if you're listening, how about a cruise of Half Moon Cay, and Princess Cays!

MSC is going to start staying at their new private island in Dec/Jan until midnight with entertainment going on during the evenings!-)) Sounds like a great idea Carnival!

13 minutes ago, fyree39 said:

I think this whole thread is one big speculation.

I am the OP and I disagree that my question was speculation.  I was curious if Carnival re routes, what islands to they re route to

• Like 1