New RSSC website - only for Europe ??

Glad it was helpful Jackie!!   But maybe without the bit on Brexit which is totally off topic!!

I did a fair amount of marketing in my time and had marketing experts working for me too - axiom #1 - speak the language of your customer  !!   Which to me means not only the verbal language but the non-verbal too like asking Swiss to pay in Euros!!

There is another factor too -- much of the fun of being on a cruise is meeting new people.  If you are French speaking and your command of English is poor or non-existent you would far rather be on a francophone ship.  having to deal with English all around you AND various accents (American and all that that entails, plus British, Oz, Canadian etc) is not a pleasant environment to be in.   Similarly if you don't speak French or even speak a little but not well, Ponant is not a good place to be...and so on.

Edited by Hambagahle
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...
On 7/19/2019 at 8:13 AM, Hambagahle said:

Jackie -  I was actually referring to the RSSC.com site where there is a separate one for Europe, another for the UK and then for the USA.   Well, actually same site but one is referred to different RSSC addresses depending on where the site thinks you are from!   Because I am in Switzerland the site "deems" I need to be hooked up to RSSC in Frankfurt.  That is the last place I would go for information because I live in the Suisse Romande and if I cannot get info in English I would like it in French.  RSSC Frankfurt sends me all sorts of information in German.  OK - I speak and read German adequately but not enough to read legalese T&Cs.  PLUS and this is a big one - all the fares are in Euros.  We do not use Euros here - we aren't members of the EU and we have the world's strongest currency, the CHF.   I cannot get onto the US site and wish I could because I happen to use a USD account to pay for cruises!!   It is what we call here a "casse-tête" - a nuisance.  Would be great if Regent would allow us to opt for the site that suits best.  US/UK/EU !

Whatever you do don't use the UK site the t&cs are not at all favourable 

On 7/19/2019 at 8:13 AM, Hambagahle said:

Jackie -  I was actually referring to the RSSC.com site where there is a separate one for Europe, another for the UK and then for the USA.   Well, actually same site but one is referred to different RSSC addresses depending on where the site thinks you are from!   Because I am in Switzerland the site "deems" I need to be hooked up to RSSC in Frankfurt.  That is the last place I would go for information because I live in the Suisse Romande and if I cannot get info in English I would like it in French.  RSSC Frankfurt sends me all sorts of information in German.  OK - I speak and read German adequately but not enough to read legalese T&Cs.  PLUS and this is a big one - all the fares are in Euros.  We do not use Euros here - we aren't members of the EU and we have the world's strongest currency, the CHF.   I cannot get onto the US site and wish I could because I happen to use a USD account to pay for cruises!!   It is what we call here a "casse-tête" - a nuisance.  Would be great if Regent would allow us to opt for the site that suits best.  US/UK/EU !

6 minutes ago, Hambagahle said:

It's OK - after 14 March I doubt I will ever want to cruise again...

We feel much the same in, fact we are now in the process of cancelling our October cruise, it looks like we will loose our £3000.00 deposit unlike the US where cancellation is $100.00 per person. 

Our 14 March Splendor cruise was cancelled 20 hours before we were to board the ship.  It cost us USD15'000 and change to get home to Switzerland from San Diego.  We are still waiting for our refund (somewhere around $35'000) from Regent.  Swiss already told us they would refund 50% of our airfare for our travel Switzerland/USA/Switzerland because we only used the outbound leg.  That, at least, is honest of them.

I will never, ever, forget the feeling of total helplessness being stranded in the US with borders closing.  Luckily we were able to get Air Canada flights to get home.  Not going through that again.  Ever.

1 hour ago, gollane said:

We feel much the same in, fact we are now in the process of cancelling our October cruise, it looks like we will loose our £3000.00 deposit unlike the US where cancellation is $100.00 per person. 

Will the deposit not get converted to FCC on the UK? 

Hambaghle,

I'm so glad you made it home.  As disappointing and costly as it has been for you, you showed decisiveness in your decision making and actions.  Unfortunately, it was an expensive effort.

I've got friends who are still trying to get out of Capetown back to Atlanta.  They were supposed to pick up the QM2 with friends in March.  Obviously, that didn't happen.  Everyone told them not to go.  They wouldn't listen.  Now, they are stranded.  They are both immune compromised.  I won't talk about their brains.  They have made some boneheaded decisions that are costing them right now.

5 hours ago, HelenJD said:

Will the deposit not get converted to FCC on the UK? 

I wish, the UKt&cs are the toughest in the industry even though we are about 160 days out we stand to forfeit our deposit, the EU terms allow cancellation for €100. 00 pp. Strictly speaking we're not in the EU

Rssc t&cs seem to vary from day to day and region to region. We did book in July last year. So it is not at all clear which terms we booked under. 

Edited by gollane
Omitted a phrase