Cobh/Cork and beyond

This will be our first time in Ireland. Our port is Ringskiddy; apparently another ship is in Cobh that day.

Should we just get the train to Cork and spend the day? If so, should we do a walking tour? Please make suggestions on what to do and see here.

Or should we arrange a private excursion for the 8 of us to explore beyond Cork? I don't think we desire to kiss the Blarney Stone. We were wondering about Rock of Cashel and visiting Kilkenny. Other suggestions? We just want to feel like we've seen and learned a good bit about Ireland in our very short time here.

Thanks!

There is no train service from Ringaskiddy to Cork.  Indeed there is no train service from Ringaskiddy.

Your options are a poor bus service or taxi.  Recently it was mentioned on local radio that there were problems with taxis or private excursion vehicles accessing the port area.

There is a bus service from Ringaskiddy to Cork City. Go to this link and type in 223 in the 'search by route' box. 

Cashel is =/- 1hour from Cork, so approx 1h 30 m from Ringaskiddy.  Kilkenny is a further 1 hour from Cashel and the return from Kilkenny to Ringaskiddy would take close to 2 hours.

I am really sorry that you arriving to Ringaskiddy as it is a very poor substitute for Cobh.   Indeed it may be the port to actually consider booking a cruise line tour.   If you contact the usual private excursion companies Butlers-buses.com or paddywagon tours or ecoach.  All are recommended and may (repeat may) do tours from Ringaskiddy.

4 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

That is all very helpful information! Thank you!

Yes, we're disappointed to be going into Ringaskiddy. Originally we were scheduled for Cobh. It is a Disney cruise and I would hope they will provide decent transportation into Cobh at least, but there is no word about it yet.

21 hours ago, drmomto3kids said:

That is all very helpful information! Thank you!

Yes, we're disappointed to be going into Ringaskiddy. Originally we were scheduled for Cobh. It is a Disney cruise and I would hope they will provide decent transportation into Cobh at least, but there is no word about it yet.

It is highly unlikely that they will provide transportation to Cobh, as it is the other side of the estuary from Ringaskiddy.  Your best hope is that they provide a shuttle into Cork city.  

There is a hop on/hop off bus. https://www.corkcitytours.com/ 

VMAX1700

Thanks for all in the formation you posted on Cork.

You you have a rough idea of how much a taxi would cost from Cork to the village of Kilnamartyra?

Thinking of taking the train from Cobh to Cork and ending up at Kilnamartyra

Aloha - thank you,

Tom

18 hours ago, tommui987 said:

VMAX1700

Thanks for all in the formation you posted on Cork.

You you have a rough idea of how much a taxi would cost from Cork to the village of Kilnamartyra?

Thinking of taking the train from Cobh to Cork and ending up at Kilnamartyra

Aloha - thank you,

Tom

Hi Tom,

Just picking up a taxi at a taxi rank and going to Kilnamartyra (near Macroom) would cost around 100/125 euro.  Then the return journey would cost the same - if you could get a taxi in Kilnamartyra!  You would need to ask the first driver to wait for you!  So, you could be looking at 250 euro round trip.  You could get a better deal by hiring a car!  Or, pre book a taxi or private car.

How many passengers?

May I ask why you want to go to Kilnamartyra?  (If you don't want to discuss it on an open forum then I can give you an email address).

3 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

May I ask why you want to go to Kilnamartyra?  (If you don't want to discuss it on an open forum then I can give you an email address).

The inner-child in me! There is a toy soldier factory in Kilnamartyra!

31 minutes ago, tommui987 said:

The inner-child in me! There is a toy soldier factory in Kilnamartyra!

HAHA!  I thought that could be the reason.

What date are you in Cobh?  What hours are you docked?

depending on hours in port and how desperate you are, you could look at -

train from Cobh to Cork.

Bus #40 (destination Tralee) to Macroom  (buses leave at 10.00am and 11.30 am) Journey takes 45 minutes. Return ticket about 20 euro.

Taxi from Macroom to Kilnamartyra

Return by reversing the route.  Buses leave Macroom at 1.15 pm, 2.15 pm and 3.15 pm. Journey takes 50 minutes to Cork then train back to Cobh.

21 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

depending on hours in port and how desperate you are, you could look at -

VMax1700

I'm on the Statendam which ports at Cobh on 9/17 - in theory at 8:00AM.

I got my son on a tour of Cork but I'm too advanced in age (86) and depend on  rollator or cane to get around and so it becomes almost an adventure for me. I am still able to drive a car - I passed the test a couple months ago.

But I am still "toying" with the idea!

We had to dock at Ringsakiddy in May and Celebrity provided complimentary shuttle to Cork.  Moved that evening to Cobh and were there until midday.  They had added an overnight in Cobh and another ship already had the port.  Train station in Cobh is across from cruise terminal.

I will agree with those who said the gardens alone are worth a trip to Blarney castle if you can get there .... no need to stand in line to kiss the stone.  But, I've also been to the Rock of Cashel and it is stunning, so I think you can't go wrong there.  Good luck with your transportation!

On 7/20/2019 at 6:44 PM, tommui987 said:

I'm on the Statendam which ports at Cobh on 9/17 -

That is interesting.  The master of the Nieuw Statendam will be Capt Noel O'Driscoll, a Cork man, and this will be the first time that he has sailed the Nieuw Statendam into his 'home port'.