Cape Liberty to HBLR station

cruzin-again

We will be returning to Cape Liberty on the Summit on 22nd September. We are then going on to Weehaken for a few nights and the HBLR seems to go from just outside the port to right where we need to be. I think from the ship to the 34th Street or 45th Street stations is a bit too far to walk, may even be restictions in doing that, what options do we have in getting to the station? Is there any form of Port transportation. I am thinking cab drivers would not be too pleased with a fare that only gets just outside the port gates. Any advice welcomed.

22 minutes ago, cruzin-again said:

We will be returning to Cape Liberty on the Summit on 22nd September. We are then going on to Weehaken for a few nights and the HBLR seems to go from just outside the port to right where we need to be. I think from the ship to the 34th Street or 45th Street stations is a bit too far to walk, may even be restictions in doing that, what options do we have in getting to the station? Is there any form of Port transportation. I am thinking cab drivers would not be too pleased with a fare that only gets just outside the port gates. Any advice welcomed.

I do this every year.  Technically you can’t walk it and IMO it’s a bit far -2+ miles.

You’re right - the cabs don’t like it but this is how it works.  You go to the taxi dispatcher and tell him you want to go to the HBLR station.  It should be $6/pp for this local area trip.  You may have to wait a bit, but the Cape Liberty Taxi Dispatcher (there are no “cruising” cabs at Cape Liberty that can be hailed) is obligated to provide the service.  You can also try Uber or Lyft, but I don’t know how that works for disembarkation.  I’m thinking the Uber/Lyft people will be looking for longer trips.

Look at the HBLR map - https://www.njtransit.com/pdf/LightRail/sf_lr_hblr_map.pdf

it does take you to Weehawken, but you have to change trains.  The NJ Transit trip planner recommends transferring at Exchange Place.  The trip takes 51 minutes and the train will be uncrowded on a Sunday morning.  It runs about every 20 minutes.  I think it’s an interesting trip - think of it as a cheap excursion.  Cost is $2.25/pp and half if you’re seniors.  You buy tickets from the machine and validate them in another machine.  All Light rail stations are easily accessible with luggage.

Post back if you have other questions.

29 minutes ago, 138east said:

You can also try Uber or Lyft, but I don’t know how that works for disembarkation.  I’m thinking the Uber/Lyft people will be looking for longer trips.

There is a designated area for Uber and Lyft pickups. It takes about 10 minutes for a them to arrive when they are booked.. Uber and Lyft drivers don't know where passengers are going until they arrive at the pickup location. That is so they can't game for a longer trip. So that it is a short trip does not matter. 

Edited by Charles4515

3 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

There is a designated area for Uber and Lyft pickups. It takes about 10 minutes for a them to arrive when they are booked.. Uber and Lyft drivers don't know where passengers are going until they arrive at the pickup location. That is so they can't game for a longer trip. So that it is a short trip does not matter. 

You couldn’t be more wrong. There are multiple ways drivers can determine where you are going. This includes Uber Pro drivers are told by Uber which direction and approximate trip time....for instance......”Joe 30min trip west”.....

Good luck if you choose pool though.

The OP is from the UK so it’s possible they might not have US phone service to access Uber/Lyft.  If they use the Taxi Dispatcher, always verify the cost before getting in the cab.  I’ve been quoted both $5 and $6 and always tip the driver because it’s not a big money maker for them.  For me it’s a big money saver to ride the light rail and PATH to Newark Penn or New York Penn Station.

17 minutes ago, 138east said:

The OP is from the UK so it’s possible they might not have US phone service to access Uber/Lyft.  If they use the Taxi Dispatcher, always verify the cost before getting in the cab.  I’ve been quoted both $5 and $6 and always tip the driver because it’s not a big money maker for them.  For me it’s a big money saver to ride the light rail and PATH to Newark Penn or New York Penn Station.

Well, I would just naturally assume that they would, if they’re members here....

30 minutes ago, 138east said:

Uber was $20 to Newark Penn. Well worth the cost. Why lug bags onto light rail and Path when Uber is $20? A taxi though would have cost $45. Been there done that but I still would not take light rail and Path. 

1 hour ago, Flyingmedic66 said:

You couldn’t be more wrong. There are multiple ways drivers can determine where you are going. This includes Uber Pro drivers are told by Uber which direction and approximate trip time....for instance......”Joe 30min trip west”.....

Good luck if you choose pool though.

They don’t know what address you are going to. If it is going to be a long trip they are given a heads up about that.

Edited by Charles4515

1 minute ago, Charles4515 said:

They don’t know what address you are going to. 

Although true, it doesn’t matter. They can, and do, cherrypick. I was just pointing out that what you advised was not true. That’s all.

6 hours ago, cruzin-again said:

We will be returning to Cape Liberty on the Summit on 22nd September. We are then going on to Weehaken for a few nights and the HBLR seems to go from just outside the port to right where we need to be. Any advice welcomed.

As Carol posted, find the taxi dispatcher and inform him you want to go to the 34th Street light rail station, you will not be the only one asking for this. The time I did it, I was directed to a van and once it was full (about 5 minutes) the van departed. On a Sunday, there should be very few on the light rail, you will have no problem finding a seat. The view out of the right side windows will enable you to see the harbor and lower Manhattan as you approach Jersey City. It is a more stunning view at night with the buildings lit.

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

Uber was $20 to Newark Penn. Well worth the cost. Why lug bags onto light rail and Path when Uber is $20? A taxi though would have cost $45. Been there done that but I still would not take light rail and Path. 

I travel light and usually have to do this trip during a weekday morning rush hour.  Haven’t had a problem getting a seat on the light rail or PATH.

In this case the OP is going to a hotel in Weehawken - probably the Sheraton.

11 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Can you please explain the above statement. I was under the impression that uber or Lyft is booked electronically. Don't they always know the specific trip? I'm not experienced with these services so please forgive my question. 

I am planning on using one of these services when I get off the ship and then want to go to Jersey City or Newark. Thanks 

58 minutes ago, artvlay said:

Can you please explain the above statement. I was under the impression that uber or Lyft is booked electronically. Don't they always know the specific trip? I'm not experienced with these services so please forgive my question. 

I am planning on using one of these services when I get off the ship and then want to go to Jersey City or Newark. Thanks 

When you book a ride on your app the driver gets the pickup address. They have a drivers app. They don’t get your drop off address on their app until they arrive at your pick up location and you get in the car. This is to prevent the drivers from cherry picking trips. 

Edited by Charles4515

9 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

When you book a ride on your app the driver gets the pickup address. They have a drivers app. They don’t get your drop off address on their app until they arrive at your pick up location and you get in the car. This is to prevent the drivers from cherry picking trips. 

Ahhhhhh, I learned something tonight. Thanks for the education. 

Many thanks for all your replies, particularly 138east and meadowlander, think it will be the Taxi Despatcher. Need to look for a sim only deal (for a month) that allows tethering and use in Canada, anyone have any tips on good deal and where can be purchased.

Regards,

Edited by cruzin-again
add another point