Top cruisers ????? Misnomer

Phxazzcruisers

Bonnie, maybe you can sent this up the chain ......There was a lot of discussions among cruisers as to how Azamara recognizes the "top cruisers"  On RCL and Celebrity, it is the person(s) with the highest point count.  On Azamara, it seems to be the cruisers with the most Azamara cruises.  So........if you take a bunch of shorter cruises included in your count, even if you stay in inside or Ocean View rooms, you get thanked and honored more than people who take longer cruises in Suites and above.  in other words, a couple that takes 35 cruises for a total of 250 days would get about 1250 points.  A couple that takes fewer cruises, say 20, but the same number of overall days due to longer cruises in Suites would receive 2000 points.  I can understand if they do not want to include Celebrity Cruises in the point count, but a LOT of people thought it would be much fairer and more equitable to award the top cruises with the most Azamara points, rather than cruises.....If the system wants to reward true loyalty, this seems more appropriate......

Edited by Phxazzcruisers

This has been discussed before with Azamara before, I’m sure.  I honestly don’t know whether it will make a huge difference on Azamara.  There aren’t a plethora of short cruises in which you could try and “beat the system” for want of a better word like you can on Celebrity.  I think it evens out.  Most of the cruisers on Azamara seem to take a mix of cruise lengths, longer and shorter, driven by destinations rather than taking a few quickies in the Caribbean to boost their count.

i don’t think there is really a truly fair way to do it.  Someone will lose out.

Phil

Edited by excitedofharpenden
  • Like 1

I have never come across a situation where the top cruiser wasn't Discoverer Plus or Platinum level.  Its no big deal in my view how they calculate it.

• Like 1

I think it is great that Azamara recognise the total number of cruises rather than the highest spenders.

The highest tier cruisers already have many benefits, which of course they have paid for.

I prefer to have about 4 cruises per year (not all Azamara) in OV cabins rather than one in the highest grade suite.

To be fair I have attended many LCV events and the winners have ranged from 19 cruises in total, to over 100 cruises.  Many of them win time after time.  How many whisky glasses gifts could any person actually want ?

Not sure what else the top cruiser actually gets apart from a photo with the Captain and a round of applause.

The ships need to be filled up, with plebs like me in Inside, OV and standard balcony cabins, and Azamara appears to recognise this.  Good on them!

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, uktog said:

I have never come across a situation where the top cruiser wasn't Discoverer Plus or Platinum level.  Its no big deal in my view how they calculate it.

I was on a cruise where the top cruiser was a level below me (ie had less points but more cruises due to taking several short cruises). I rarely take a cruise shorter than 10 nights and almost always in suites.

47 minutes ago, Phxazzcruisers said:

Bonnie, maybe you can sent this up the chain ......There was a lot of discussions among cruisers as to how Azamara recognizes the "top cruisers"  On RCL and Celebrity, it is the person(s) with the highest point count.  On Azamara, it seems to be the cruisers with the most Azamara cruises.  So........if you take a bunch of shorter cruises included in your count, even if you stay in inside or Ocean View rooms, you get thanked and honored more than people who take longer cruises in Suites and above.  in other words, a couple that takes 35 cruises for a total of 250 days would get about 1250 points.  A couple that takes fewer cruises, say 20, but the same number of overall days due to longer cruises in Suites would receive 2000 points.  I can understand if they do not want to include Celebrity Cruises in the point count, but a LOT of people thought it would be much fairer and more equitable to award the top cruises with the most Azamara points, rather than cruises.....If the system wants to reward true loyalty, this seems more appropriate......

To be honest I’ve never thought about how the Top Cruiser was chosen. You are saying the winner (on each voyage) is chosen for the number of Azamara cruises they’ve taken, but you’d rather the winner was chosen by the number of points earned (points also reflect how much a cruiser has spent over their lifetime with us.)

I will be happy to ask our LCV Ambassador if she has insight into all this, but IMHO the term Top Cruiser applies to the person/couple that sails the most frequently.

10 minutes ago, BBMacLaird said:

To be honest I’ve never thought about how the Top Cruiser was chosen. You are saying the winner (on each voyage) is chosen for the number of Azamara cruises they’ve taken, but you’d rather the winner was chosen by the number of points earned (points also reflect how much a cruiser has spent over their lifetime with us.)

I will be happy to ask our LCV Ambassador if she has insight into all this, but IMHO the term Top Cruiser applies to the person/couple that sails the most frequently.

Bonnie, as I said, this has been discussed many times.  I know this from speaking to the LCV Hosts onboard.  The conclusion is that there really is no fair way to do it.  This goes for the top cruisers who “win” it multiple times too.  It would be nice to spread the love, but there doesn’t seem to be a way of doing it without upsetting someone.

Just going back to the OP’s point of calculating it on Azamara points rather than number of cruises, you are then advantaging those that book suites who are no more worthy in terms of cruise numbers.  And what about solo travellers who get double points?  As I say I don’t think there is a system that is fair to all and the current number of cruises is about as fair as it gets.

And finally, on none of my cruises on Azamara has the way the top cruiser is calculated been a subject of discussion.  

Phil

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Bonnie, as I said, this has been discussed many times.  I know this from speaking to the LCV Hosts onboard.  The conclusion is that there really is no fair way to do it.  This goes for the top cruisers who “win” it multiple times too.  It would be nice to spread the love, but there doesn’t seem to be a way of doing it without upsetting someone.

Just going back to the OP’s point of calculating it on Azamara points rather than number of cruises, you are then advantaging those that book suites who are no more worthy in terms of cruise numbers.  And what about solo travellers who get double points?  As I say I don’t think there is a system that is fair to all and the current number of cruises is about as fair as it gets.

And finally, on none of my cruises on Azamara has the way the top cruiser is calculated been a subject of discussion.  

Phil

Maybe the fair way would be not to do it at all and just thank every repeat cruiser, whatever they did somebody would not be happy.

Edited by Bloodaxe
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Bloodaxe said:

Maybe the fair way would be not to do it at all and just thank every repeat cruiser, whatever they did somebody would not be happy.

That would eliminate an all-time First World Problem.  

• Like 5

My thoughts are

* if it really is an issue that number of cruises is distorting the outcome, switch to number of days

* reduce the value of the gift, recognise each person with a gift the first time in the year they are top, (same as now) however for the remainder of the year mention them only and give the gift to the next person who has not had a gift - spreads the awards around

* do away with the recognition all together 

Any of the above I would have no issue with at all

If it is being kept, can more thought be given to the gift.  They are all nice items but this year's gift is not ideal for anyone flying (weight and fragility), last years could not really be used (an expensive luggage tag that baggage handlers would love)

BUT all this is a first world problem and I would rather head office attention was focussed on more pressing issues.

Edited by uktog
  • Like 4

I have often thought that, after you have won the award “X” number of times, you could be acknowledged as an “Azamazing Cruiser” at every LCV Party and that the physical award be granted to the next in line. 

On a given cruise there might several in the former category but only one in the latter.

I also think it best to acknowledge those with the most days on Azamara cruises.

But it is, indeed, a “First World” problem.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, marinaro44 said:

The former (and better) upgrade program rewarded people based on points.  Top cruiser rewarded people based on number of cruises.  There was something for either criterion that way.

Good points

• Like 1

6 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

None of mine, either.

Thinking about it, either cruises or days measures loyalty.  Points can be a measure of wallet size.  I prefer either of the former.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Bloodaxe said:

I fully agree. Each time I’ve been top cruiser I’ve always said “thanks but no thanks”. I just don’t want the attention and truly don’t understand why anyone would... but that’s just me.

• Like 2

The first few times it was fun. So far  thanks to  an ex LCV  person I received the gift twice. i tried telling her no twice. i had one gift shipped home. The glasses are bigger than my hand.  I would be happy just with flowers in my cabin. I will see new to em LCV person this fall and should be fun  saying no i do not want it. i never understood the people who have over 80 cruises and keep standing up there. 

Some cruise lines gives everyone a pin. Never see anyone wear  them.  How about flowers in cabin and maybe a good bottle of wine left in cabin. works  for me. i do  not drink bubbles and mostly give the bottle away  or left in cabin. Heike has switch it out for me.

• Like 4

The real winner is the cruise line. Must be doing something right to get repeat cruisers.  I go to the repeaters party. I have cruised many times, but cannot tell you how many cruises. I don’t keep count. I just enjoy each cruise while I am on that cruise. I was surprised on my last Azamara cruise to find first time Azamara guests. They were not crashers. They got invited because they had sailed on Celebrity or Royal Caribbean. Even with them, there wasn’t a really big turnout.  There were some snacks and drinks. When I was asked what I wanted to drink, I was told that it wasn’t included and asked for my card.  It sure sends a message that you want me to return? In comparison to my last cruise repeaters (not Azamara)party where 152 out of 200 guests were repeaters. The food was exquisite and the liquor flowed. The party was a blast. 

On 7/17/2019 at 5:58 PM, marinaro44 said:

Thinking about it, either cruises or days measures loyalty.  Points can be a measure of wallet size.  I prefer either of the former.

I dunno--cruises or days also measure wallet size to some extent.

3 hours ago, hrhdhd said:

not really! take 3 7 day cruises in a row or one 14 day cruise. if the cruise lines counts cruises...

10 hours ago, hrhdhd said:

If you're saying it costs money to cruise, I'd say that's rather obvious. 

But someone taking thirty cruises averaging ten nights in an oceanview accumulates 900 LCV points.  Someone taking ten similar cruises in a Club Ocean suite has 1800 points.  In my opinion, the oceanview person, with half the points, is more "loyal."  You, of course, may choose to differ.

• Like 1

I’ve thought about whether to post this or not for fear of appearing to be ungrateful or negative, but I’m going to say it anyway whilst on the subject of recognition.  With apologies if it comes across badly, but it’s the way I feel at present.

They wheel the most cruised up on stage after the spiel about the LCV program and making a big thing out of the free nights (which aren’t as free as they seem) and meanwhile the benefits of being an LCV member are being eroded.  The upgrade program has most definitely been downgraded as far as I’m concerned and the continuing Azamara special offers of drinks packages, free internet and the like further negate having the perks.  And let’s face it.  Whilst nice to be recognised, the event really is just an Azamara PR exercise.

Phil

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

I’ve thought about whether to post this or not for fear of appearing to be ungrateful or negative, but I’m going to say it anyway whilst on the subject of recognition.  With apologies if it comes across badly, but it’s the way I feel at present.

They wheel the most cruised up on stage after the spiel about the LCV program and making a big thing out of the free nights (which aren’t as free as they seem) and meanwhile the benefits of being an LCV member are being eroded.  The upgrade program has most definitely been downgraded as far as I’m concerned and the continuing Azamara special offers of drinks packages, free internet and the like further negate having the perks.  And let’s face it.  Whilst nice to be recognised, the event really is just an Azamara PR exercise.

Phil

No caning here, I can see exactly why you would think that.  There are however a few of the top cruisers who love their celebrity adulation, would be incensed if it disappeared particularly if they lost their opportunity to make a speech as one person does.  We are much more in your line of thinking!  

Some people on Azamara still get how to make people feel recognised, the programme itself doesn't

Edited by uktog
  • Like 4