Top cruisers ????? Misnomer

Phxazzcruisers

I’ll weigh in as someone who will never reach top cruiser no matter how it’s calculated (we love Azamara but also do non-cruise vacations so we will just never get there).  When we went to the event it seemed like a insider’s event that we were crashing.  Who cares about free food and drink on an inclusive cruise?  The winner seemed embarrassed and we kept thinking we’d rather be enjoying our cruise than holed up inside.  We’ve never attended another.  If the people who win have suggestions I suggest Azamara listen because it doesn’t seem like a huge PR win from my perspective (the repeat customer who hasn’t a hope of achieving that status).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, marinaro44 said:

The "speech" often includes a slide show. [Rolleyes emoticon]

I'd rather see the  upgrade perq restored and the top cruiser award retired, as uktog expressed above.

Oh you’ve suffered as well. The last slide show I saw was offensive to certain types of people if I can put it that way. I commented on my end of cruise feedback as it shocked me Azamara seemed to be condoning it. 

As ones who never thought we would make “top cruisers” and actually did once I would agree with retiring the rather embarrassing award. For us the LCV event is often badly timed so we don’t very often go these days, however for some unknown reason we were invited to the top tier event on RCI recently, out of interest we actually attended and have to say it was the worst event we’ve ever been to, escaped after 20 minutes.

There are much better ways of rewarding loyalty for everyone however Azamara seems to be intent on eroding the ones there are currently. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Doh15 said:

Make a speech, really?  

You like me, you really like me? 

Or,

I'd like to thank my parents, and the academy

Thanks for the smile

That made me laugh 😂

And I'm not sure if marinaro44 and uktog are pulling our leg(s) that someone brings a slideshow?! That's planning ahead!

12 minutes ago, BBMacLaird said:

That made me laugh 😂

And I'm not sure if marinaro44 and uktog are pulling our leg(s) that someone brings a slideshow?! That's planning ahead!

We are not and the content is in my view not appropriate for a cruise line that values diversity

58 minutes ago, BBMacLaird said:

That made me laugh 😂

I've seen it too. No leg pull. I actually thought it was quite funny first time, but understand it's a regular thing with this cruiser. It would lose the impact thereafter. 

Phil 

56 minutes ago, uktog said:

We are not and the content is in my view not appropriate for a cruise line that values diversity

Sounds like this should be dealt with. Have you brought this to the attention of our shipboard personnel and/or Patty, our LCV Ambassador? (I know you're sometimes in contact with her.) 

22 minutes ago, BBMacLaird said:

Sounds like this should be dealt with. Have you brought this to the attention of our shipboard personnel and/or Patty, our LCV Ambassador? (I know you're sometimes in contact with her.) 

We fed back onboard Pursuit and in our end of cruise surveys which we hoped would be sufficient 

Only went to an Azamara event once and would not bother to attend another. Last time I attended HAL had got the balance much better.  Nice lunch for all repeat cruisers with the celebrity cruisers acknowledged, no speeches.

Edited by mrbluesea
Spelling edit
  • Like 2

Interesting discussion coming from the OP's question. I have been subjected to speeches  a couple of times and one was a guy who thought he was the reincarnation of Eric De Gray with his jokes. It was just embarrassing and I did comment at the time that Azamara should never give a guest the opportunity to have the mic! 🙂 

I've noted that I very rarely see other guests come up to the top cruiser and congratulate them. I at least make a point if I'm there to say well done. It's the polite thing to do. Going forward I'm blasé about the whole event. 

Phil 

• Like 2

well, I have done the speech and talk about the crew and how great they are. If i have to dress up at 5 vs enjoying the pool or my balcony  and listen to the same songs and see the same dance again plus the LCV talk then I will praise the crew.

I missed one win due to rolling seas.  had one moved to the middle of the tasman sea. This fall I plan on telling the new to me LCV host give it away.  Just send me flowers. well, that how I find i won as the flowers are in cabin.

Celebrity still does these parties and many other lines. would be nice to see  them go.

12 hours ago, uktog said:

Oh you’ve suffered as well. The last slide show I saw was offensive to certain types of people if I can put it that way. I commented on my end of cruise feedback as it shocked me Azamara seemed to be condoning it. 

Oh don’t dangle the carrot... we need much more details now 😝 🤣

Let’s just say an attempt at humour badly delivered that might have been acceptable 10 years ago but certainly isn’t today.  

I am with Phil, it should be NO speeches. The recipients are asked by the LCV host ahead of the event why they come back to Azamara and their response is read out usually verbatim .  That is ample opportunity to make comments of thanks to all onboard within that comment. 

Whatever format any recognition event is in going forward, Head Office should prescribe how it is handled and ships shoukd follow that regardless of who the top dog is.

One minor suggestion regarding “mentions” at the event and this is NOT sour grapes.  On both the cruise we turned platinum and the following one we weren’t in the top 3 so nothing was said. That happens but maybe a mention should be made at Platinum/Double platinum. Celebrity make an event at the equivalent milestone I’m not advocating that, merely an acknowledgement.  

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, GUT2407 said:

Does it really matter.

Absolutely not!  My comments on changes are if they keep it, I’d rather they binned it.  Just have a social event and a small recognition if the line still wants that in the room. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, uktog said:

Let’s just say an attempt at humour badly delivered that might have been acceptable 10 years ago but certainly isn’t today.  

I am with Phil, it should be NO speeches. The recipients are asked by the LCV host ahead of the event why they come back to Azamara and their response is read out usually verbatim .  That is ample opportunity to make comments of thanks to all onboard within that comment. 

Whatever format any recognition event is in going forward, Head Office should prescribe how it is handled and ships shoukd follow that regardless of who the top dog is.

One minor suggestion regarding “mentions” at the event and this is NOT sour grapes.  On both the cruise we turned platinum and the following one we weren’t in the top 3 so nothing was said. That happens but maybe a mention should be made at Platinum/Double platinum. Celebrity make an event at the equivalent milestone I’m not advocating that, merely an acknowledgement.  

Sorry...nothing was said....about what?

As someone who has attended  and enjoyed the singers and dancers  and social aspects of many of these LCV events....I am curious about what other guests are expecting to be said?

Am I being naive here....enjoying the senior officers congratulate a handful of guests who have been able to be more loyal than we?

We try not to miss it, to show our loyalty  too.

We will never be the top cruisers....but that adds to the special occasion

..does ot not?

On 7/18/2019 at 1:42 AM, Mrs Miggins said:

I think it is great that Azamara recognise the total number of cruises rather than the highest spenders.

The highest tier cruisers already have many benefits, which of course they have paid for.

I prefer to have about 4 cruises per year (not all Azamara) in OV cabins rather than one in the highest grade suite.

To be fair I have attended many LCV events and the winners have ranged from 19 cruises in total, to over 100 cruises.  Many of them win time after time.  How many whisky glasses gifts could any person actually want ?

Not sure what else the top cruiser actually gets apart from a photo with the Captain and a round of applause.

The ships need to be filled up, with plebs like me in Inside, OV and standard balcony cabins, and Azamara appears to recognise this.  Good on them!

Thoroughly agree with you. I think it’s all  nonsense. As you say, how many glasses or bottles of champagne/whiskey can you get. They are always the same  people with a lot more money than the rest of us who just want to enjoy the places that Azamara go to! Or sometimes not??

Edited by DRJVH

On 7/18/2019 at 1:53 AM, excitedofharpenden said:

Bonnie, as I said, this has been discussed many times.  I know this from speaking to the LCV Hosts onboard.  The conclusion is that there really is no fair way to do it.  This goes for the top cruisers who “win” it multiple times too.  It would be nice to spread the love, but there doesn’t seem to be a way of doing it without upsetting someone.

Just going back to the OP’s point of calculating it on Azamara points rather than number of cruises, you are then advantaging those that book suites who are no more worthy in terms of cruise numbers.  And what about solo travellers who get double points?  As I say I don’t think there is a system that is fair to all and the current number of cruises is about as fair as it gets.

And finally, on none of my cruises on Azamara has the way the top cruiser is calculated been a subject of discussion.  

Phil

I think it’s all a big load of rubbish anyway.