Have you had price change after final payment and gotten upgrade/OBC

My price went down around $600.  It is after final payment.  About 100 days to the cruise.  I called my TA and she said they aren't offering anything, not an upgrade to a better cabin or OBC.  Is this typical?  I thought I would at least get upgraded to a better cabin.

Thanks!

7 minutes ago, Vacationlover2 said:

My price went down around $600.  It is after final payment.  About 100 days to the cruise.  I called my TA and she said they aren't offering anything, not an upgrade to a better cabin or OBC.  Is this typical?  I thought I would at least get upgraded to a better cabin.

Thanks!

I have upgraded to higher category cabins after final payment several times in the past, but I believe it can only be done "for free" IF there are currently better cabins available for a lower price than you have paid for your original cabin (then you normally don't get any money back - but you do get a better cabin for the same price you paid originally. OR, if the price drops on higher category cabins means that the CURRENT online price is higher than what you have paid for your original cabin, then you can upgrade to a higher category cabin by paying just the difference between what you have already paid and the new online price on that higher category cabin. I have upgraded that way many times in the past, and just paid a few dollars for the upgrade.

12 minutes ago, Vacationlover2 said:

Thanks!

Not typical.  Normally they will try to upgrade you to a better cabin.  OBC is another option, but not dollar for dollar.  I think it may be 25%.  If you do upgrade, keep in mind you lose current perks, and get whatever perks are with your new cabin.   I was looking at upgrading to a mini suite, but it would’ve been over $500 more for us, and we would’ve lost $100 OBC.   We’re just watching prices and waiting at this point.  

I got OBC of 25% of the price drop because the next category up would have still cost money for me to upgrade. If you're wanting an upgrade without paying more money the cabin would need to be less than the fare you paid. 

ETA: My TA was probably on the phone with NCL for all of 2 minutes before they came back with the 25% OBC offer. 

Edited by smplybcause
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Vacationlover2 said:

I just don't trust my TA.  I don't think she asked the right question.  I was looking for an upgrade.  She told me they said I would have to cancel and rebook.  I don't think that's right.

DEFINITELY DONT CANCEL AND REBOOK.... after final payment = percentage you have for penalty of canceling.   Perhaps she doesn’t participate with “upgrading”??  🤷‍♀️

7 minutes ago, Vacationlover2 said:

The higher cabins are less than my cabin cost.  I could get a mini suite or a large balcony cabin for less money than my regular cabin.  Maybe I should call NCL myself?

Unfortunately I don't think that is an option, as your travel agent is the one who "own" the booking since you didn't book it directly with NCL, and therefore all changes has to go through your TA.

Just to avoid any misunderstandings when you contact your TA, you have to say that you would like to upgrade to eg. a mini-suite or large balcony cabin, and if the current price for that is lower than what you have already paid, then you don't get any refund but at least you have a better/larger cabin than what you currently have - for the same price. 

There might however be more complicated if the current prices you are looking at are "sailaway prices" for a GTY cagegory cabin within that higher category, and you do not have a GTY cabin already. I believe it has something to do with perks/no perks - I am not certain about this as I have never done the upgrade to a GTY cabin after final payment. 

13 minutes ago, Vacationlover2 said:

The cabin I have is not sailaway or gty and the cabin I want to switch to is not sailaway or gty.

Then you should contact your travel agent again, and say that you KNOW that an upgrade is possible as long as the new cabin has a price that is same (or lower) than what you have paid, and that you KNOW that you can get that upgrade for the price you have already paid for your original cabin. And if your TA still say "no", then ask him/her to please contact NCL in this matter as there must be a misunderstanding.

Good luck - I hope you get the upgrade you want! But if your original cabin cost was eg. $1500 p.p. and the mini-suite is now $1400 p.p. (just an example), then you don't get any reimbursement of the price difference. And you will probably loose the promotional perks you already have, and instead get the current perks that comes with the new cabin (that may be the same, better - or worse) than the perks you currently have.

Edited by TrumpyNor
  • Like 1

I have gotten a few price drops before final payment but sometimes when I do a mock booking and it’s cheaper and I call they say it is for new bookings only and other times it’s for all bookings so it depends. 

Also can anyone tell tell me on tge Bliss what would be the next cabin upgrade to a mini suite connected stateroom? Spa? I think spa minis only hold 2 ppl? We would be looking for an after final payment upgrade for 3 ppl with a Pullman or some type of 2nd bed other than the sofa. Sorry to hijack the thread Thanks! 

Recently, I noticed a total price reduction of $1200 for a 2 bedroom family penthouse on the Jewel. Called our big box TA and NCL repriced our booking at the new, low price.

But upon further review, my sis & I along with our DHs decided it made more sense to book separate balcony cabins so that all 4 of us had perks + saved $$. I subscribe to that fishy site and check on my own too for possible reductions.

For our 6/1/19 Dawn cruise I had originally booked Inside Cabins (ID) 9011 and 9009.  About a month before sailing I saw that prices for Balconies (BC) had dropped to the exact price I had paid for our Inside Cabins.  I called NCL and asked if it would be possible to upgrade both of our cabins.  I was told they would upgrade us for no charge, however I could not pick the cabins and I would keep my current Inside perk ( Free Beverages).  I agreed and before we got off the phone, the NCL rep was able to give me our balcony cabin numbers 9516 and 9510.   My experience with calling for the upgrade was easy and I was very happy to keep our current free beverages perk.

20 minutes ago, motherof22boys said:

For our 6/1/19 Dawn cruise I had originally booked Inside Cabins (ID) 9011 and 9009.  About a month before sailing I saw that prices for Balconies (BC) had dropped to the exact price I had paid for our Inside Cabins.  I called NCL and asked if it would be possible to upgrade both of our cabins.  I was told they would upgrade us for no charge, however I could not pick the cabins and I would keep my current Inside perk ( Free Beverages).  I agreed and before we got off the phone, the NCL rep was able to give me our balcony cabin numbers 9516 and 9510.   My experience with calling for the upgrade was easy and I was very happy to keep our current free beverages perk.

And this is why TA sometimes are not a better option

I was able to get a category upgrade...twice...when the price dropped on my cruise on Breakaway in June.  Started at a Haven Spa Suite, then upgraded to a Haven Forward Facing suite, and ended up in a Haven Aft Penthouse.  I didn't ask for OBC...just the category upgrade...which they honored.

I went through this several months ago for a 15 day TA.  I was in a balcony and the mini-suite was priced $600 less than what I paid for my balcony.  Since this was after final payment I called my guy at NCL and asked about either moving me to a mini-suite or giving me OBC.  He said he had to call his supervisor and when he got back to me he said that they would move me to the mini-suite for free but they would pick the cabin.  I got to keep my perks and the cabin that I got was in a great location. 

I'm not understanding why they won't do anything for you but like several other posters have said you are at the mercy of your travel agent as NCL won't talk to you at all.  This is one of the reasons I always use someone at the cruise line as I want to go to bat for myself and not relay on someone else. 

3 hours ago, Vacationlover2 said:

So I tried again.  NCL told my TA that the rates I was looking at was for new bookings only.  (no kidding!)  How does anyone get an upgrade after final payment if this is the deal?

If you share your ship and date of sailing, someone may be able to check on the new bookings only restriction and suggest a workaround?