Cobh (Cork), Belfast, Waterford (Dunmore East), Any local vendors at the pier?

Hi folks, we will be visiting Cobh (Cork), Belfast, Waterford (Dunmore East) with Celebrity cruise in August. Wondering if there will be local vendors selling you tours or taxi rides to visit the local attractions once you get off the ship?

Any ideas what is the cost for 2 people in a taxi from Cobh to Cork, return trip?

I read somewhere that in Belfast, there are local vendors in the pier once you get off to sell you tours? We have been to the Giant Causeway before, so might be interested just to take a taxi tour to visit Belfast city itself.

We will be docked in Dunmore East, would we be able to get a tour from a local vendor to Kilkenny?

Thank you in advance.

7 hours ago, gam888 said:

Any ideas what is the cost for 2 people in a taxi from Cobh to Cork, return trip?

A taxi from Cobh to Cork will cost about €40 depending on traffic and another €40 back!

There is a train that runs from Cobh to Cork.  The station is just beside where the cruise ships dock!  Return fare is around €10 each! 

Thank you for your reply. If we take the train from Cobh to Cork, once we get off the train in Cork, how far is the train station to the city center? Is it walking distance? If not, how much would a taxi cost?

How much time should I allocate to visit Cork? Just looking at the architecture of the buildings, browsing the exterior of the shops...etc. Don't think we will spend any time inside museums this time. What are the interesting things to see in Cork?

19 hours ago, gam888 said:

Thank you for your reply. If we take the train from Cobh to Cork, once we get off the train in Cork, how far is the train station to the city center? Is it walking distance? If not, how much would a taxi cost?

How much time should I allocate to visit Cork? Just looking at the architecture of the buildings, browsing the exterior of the shops...etc. Don't think we will spend any time inside museums this time. What are the interesting things to see in Cork?

Train Station to city centre is less than 1 mile (1.2 km).  Very walkable, unless it is raining!  The HO-HO bus stops at the train station and you can start your journey from there.

To get an oversight of the architecture, you could walk from the Railway station along MacCurtain Street, Bridge Street, over St Patrick's Bridge, then down Patrick Street, along Grand Parade and then South Mall and back to the railway station.  About 4 kms total.  Visit the English Market (entrance on Grand Parade).

Other things to see are outside the centre.  St Finbarre's Cathdral, Cork Gaol, Shandon Bells would be high on the list and are all covered by the HoHo Bus.

Cobh is also a lovely town.  We go down there quite often.  The walk up to St Coleman's Cathedral is quite steep, but worth it.

Dunmore East is a quaint little village.  We did a tour to Waterford with Celebrity.  It is about a 30 min ride to Waterford.  Would recommend a tour or the for a fee shuttle to Waterford or a tour somewhere.

We did wander around Dunmore East after our return from Waterford and stopped in a pub.  Really enjoyed talking to the owner.  It was a yellow building on a corner near or next to a small market not far from tender area.

I was in Dunmore East yesterday after spending the weekend near to Waterford.  

There is a bus service to Waterford from across the road from the Bay Cafe, which is on the road just above the tender area.

The schedule for the bus service is here.

I had a lovely Seafood Pie in the Strand Inn.  Although small, it was served with fries and salad.  There was white fish, mussels, shrimps etc.

19 hours ago, VMax1700 said:

I was in Dunmore East yesterday after spending the weekend near to Waterford.  

There is a bus service to Waterford from across the road from the Bay Cafe, which is on the road just above the tender area.

The schedule for the bus service is here.

I had a lovely Seafood Pie in the Strand Inn.  Although small, it was served with fries and salad.  There was white fish, mussels, shrimps etc.

We will be in Dunmore East in August and thinking about just taking the bus into Waterford as you mentioned.  Not sure where the tender disembarks but based on your comments it doesn't seem far from bus stop....can you tell me what the fare is each way?  And are buses normally on schedule?  Thank you for your post!

We took the train to Cork, very easy. Walked to the English Market (spent there less than 30 min), and then took a local bus to Kinsale, nice quaint village, back to Cork, train to Cobn, walked to the cathedral -- no local vendors, just DIY 😀.

7 hours ago, tctriv said:

We will be in Dunmore East in August and thinking about just taking the bus into Waterford as you mentioned.  Not sure where the tender disembarks but based on your comments it doesn't seem far from bus stop....can you tell me what the fare is each way?  And are buses normally on schedule?  Thank you for your post!

I have no idea of the bus fare, but would guess at less than €10 per person return.  Sorry, I have not heard anything about running to schedule.

The walk from the tender area is a bit uphill and there is a nice fish and chip shop near the top. they also do oysters and prosecco or deep fried oysters! 

Edited by VMax1700