Cruise Critic Community
awestover89

Choosing a Cruise Line for Antarctica

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Heartfelttraveler said:

The Hurtigruten cruise is December 8, 2020 (EZE-USH).  We are actually planning on arriving in Buenos Aires on December 6 for two nights pre cruise.

What dates are you sailing?

Same dates.  Do you have the Travelzoo special?  Looking forward to this trip and meeting you!

Edited by cruznmore

Yes we did.  Fantastic price.

You can email me at heartfelttraveler@aol.com to discuss privately.

We are actually traveling with another couple that we take several trips a year with.

How about you guys?

One thing that nobody has mentioned is photo equipment.  Take 2 of everything as equipment can and will break or get wet - my primary camera got wet when I spent several hours taking pictures of penguins in the rain.   If you are taking extra lenses, it helps if your primary and your backup camera take the same lenses.  Take lots and lot and lots of batteries.  Also lots and lots of cards.

Take a good pair of binoculars for each of you.  Not the $29.95 binocs that some people take but good ones.  Don't buy binoculars on the internet.  You have to try them before you buy them.

Take something to back up your photos on a daily basis and remember to do it.  I took a laptop and backed everything up to the computer and to 2 different flash drives daily.

Don't buy a new camera just before the trip assuming that you will figure it all out when you get there.  You won't and you will loose pictures.  Don't check tour photo equipment.  If your clothes do not make it, you can manage.  If your photo equipment does not  make it, you are in deep do do.

DON

Don’t re-use your camera cards during the cruise. Also, don’t pack your camera cards and backup equipment together, keep them separate when travelling.

7 hours ago, Paul S said:

Don’t re-use your camera cards during the cruise. Also, don’t pack your camera cards and backup equipment together, keep them separate when travelling.

Good points.

DON

On 8/24/2019 at 11:43 AM, Heartfelttraveler said:

The Hurtigruten cruise is December 8, 2020 (EZE-USH).  We are actually planning on arriving in Buenos Aires on December 6 for two nights pre cruise.

What dates are you sailing?

I'm on the Fram starting Dec 2.  I'll wave in your direction!

So there are at least three groups from this forum on the Hurtigruten 12/8/20 sailing.  How fun!  Heartfelttraveler, Bizmark'sMom, and Cruznmore. 

1 hour ago, cruznmore said:

So there are at least three groups from this forum on the Hurtigruten 12/8/20 sailing.  How fun!  Heartfelttraveler, Bizmark'sMom, and Cruznmore. 

Oops .  Made a mistake here.  Saw that Bizmark'sMom is on the Fram.  

>>Take something to back up your photos on a daily basis and remember to do it.  I took a laptop and backed everything up to the computer and to 2 different flash drives daily.<<

Agree with this wholeheartedly. I backed up to my iphotos ap on my Macbook every single night, plus a back up to 2 1TB portable harddrives. One lived in my carry on bag and one lived in my checked bag. Did this for every single trip.

We are doing a Silverseas cruise on the Cloud in Dec 2019.  10 day cruise, plus one night before in Santiago, Chile.  Cruise price includes RT flight from Santiago to Ushuaia and one night in hotel in Santiago pre-cruise.  I believe they also offer from Buenas Aries .

By getting early booking price reduction, it was much cheaper than many others we looked at and would fit your budget.

It is pretty upscale compared to what we have done in the past (primarily Carnival) but we are excited about it.

There is a photo lab on the ship with classes on how to take better photography, how to edit and print, etc.  Really looking forward to that.

by booking with a good TA, also got some on board credit that we will use at the spa, and some of it we can get cash back if we don't use.

good luck!