Hotels near Manhattan port

Thechamp555

2 hours ago, mammajamma2013 said:

Thechamp555, where did you finally end up staying? We're planning on the Princess Canada/New England October 2020 and want to do the same sight-seeing stops you had planned.

Your Canada/New England cruise on Princess likely leaves from Brooklyn, not Manhattan, and if so you wouldn't want a hotel near the Manhattan Cruise Terminal.

In post #19 on this thread the poster you're addressing the question to says he was going to stay at the Skyline Hotel. It's very close to the Manhattan cruise Terminal but definitely not one you'd want to book if your cruise is departing from Brooklyn. I also don't see where that poster said anything about sightseeing. Another poster (or posters) did.

Edited by njhorseman

2 hours ago, njhorseman said:

Your Canada/New England cruise on Princess likely leaves from Brooklyn, not Manhattan, and if so you wouldn't want a hotel near the Manhattan Cruise Terminal.

In post #19 on this thread the poster you're addressing the question to says he was going to stay at the Skyline Hotel. It's very close to the Manhattan cruise Terminal but definitely not one you'd want to book if your cruise is departing from Brooklyn. I also don't see where that poster said anything about sightseeing. Another poster (or posters) did.

You're absolutely right! I was addressing AF-1, but referenced Thechamp555. That certainly won't help with my question!

The cruise does leave from Brooklyn. 

Thanks for the correction!

On 3/17/2020 at 9:56 AM, AF-1 said:

I am on Sky Princess too;  I am staying in lower Manhattan, then will make my way to Brooklyn for the cruise

On what date are you sailing? We're scheduled for Oct. 17.

Did you finally decide on the Financial District? It does sound as if that's the perfect place for the sightseeing you want to do. Do you mind my asking which hotel you chose?

Well I was sailing on Oct 7th;  but now have swapped out trips so will be going Oct 16, 2021 and sailing thru the Med on Oct 27, 2020.  I would have been on cruise right before yours.  I had a reservation at the brand new Residence Inn in financial district. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'll be sailing on 9/1/2021 from Manhattan and have stayed many times in the Times Square area. I want to spread my wings and see a little bit more. I'll be coming in on a Monday and sailing on Wednesday. For those of you who know Manhattan, what other areas are nice to stay in....walk-able but not too touristy but with enough to do so we won't be bored? Hoping to stay under $300/night...two 50+ adult sisters and NO kids.

2 hours ago, NayRN said:

I'll be sailing on 9/1/2021 from Manhattan and have stayed many times in the Times Square area. I want to spread my wings and see a little bit more. I'll be coming in on a Monday and sailing on Wednesday. For those of you who know Manhattan, what other areas are nice to stay in....walk-able but not too touristy but with enough to do so we won't be bored? Hoping to stay under $300/night...two 50+ adult sisters and NO kids.

It's far too early to know what prices are going to be, but one idea would be to stay downtown in the Wall St./ Financial District area, particularly if you might be interested in  the 9/11 Museum and Memorial or the Statue of Liberty. The area has become much more attractive for visitors in the last decade or so . 

Edited by njhorseman

1 minute ago, njhorseman said:

It's far too early to know what prices are going to be, but one idea would be to stay downtown in the Wall St. area, particularly if you might be interested in  the 9/11 Museum and Memorial or the Statue of Liberty. The area has become much more attractive for visitors in the last decade or so . 

Thanks! I know it's too early to even think about booking...but it's never to early to start planning.

I was looking at a couple hotels - the W, The New York Marriott and the Courtyard - all downtown and close to the 9/11 Memorial. As I am not familiar with the area, I didn't know if there was a better location to stay  vs being closer to the Financial District like the Hilton Garden Inn Financial Center or the Doubletree Downtown.....

NayRN;   take a look at two new Marriott Properties that open this year. Residence Inn downtown Financial District and I think the other one is the new Springhill Suites;  which is a block away from the Residence.  I had the Residence booked for this Oct until my cruise canx.  Pricing was pretty good because Marriott was trying to get people to stay at these new hotels.  

• Like 1

If you have Bonvoy status (Platinum or higher), then go for the full service hotels; you get almost zero benefits at Residence Inn or Springhill Suites. If not, you get breakfast at the suite hotels.

The Downtown/Financial District has gotten much more active on weekends and evenings over the last few years, and it's still easy to get Uptown. Tribeca is nearby, and a fun neighborhood to walk through.

Obviously no one knows what things will even look like in a year. Neighborhood restaurants are at real risk, as are apparently even iconic places around the city...

• Like 1

We have exclusively stayed at the Sheraton TriBeCa for our visits over the past 5 years (about 25 visits).  Great Gold recognition, amazing big roof deck with super views. Close to lots of restaurants and Chinatown and Soho shopping, and many subway lines within a quite short walk.

• Like 1

I have a friend who recommended Martinque on Broadway.  She was able to walk to Central Park from her hotel and she loved it.  As far as your budget goes, factor in how much you will spend on Uber/Taxis and it will probably even out spending more on a hotel that's close to the action and has free breakfast.  

2 hours ago, Nitemare said:

Free breakfasts might be going away, especially buffets.

The CEO of holiday inns was on the news this morning and said same thing about the breakfast buffet going away. We get free breakfast at Hilton since we are gold but that is normally waiter service, no big thing either way, but must have my coffee.

2 minutes ago, George C said:

The CEO of holiday inns was on the news this morning and said same thing about the breakfast buffet going away. We get free breakfast at Hilton since we are gold but that is normally waiter service, no big thing either way, but must have my coffee.

We have the same status at Marriott, but the 2 properties we stay at most are lower level ones with buffets.  Will be interesting to see how they adjust to the times.

2 hours ago, AF-1 said:

Todd Rundgren;  saw him in December;  he was part of the Beatles White Album 50th anniversary tour.  They rocked it.

He was on our rock and romance cruise in February along with America and many other groups . Would have loved to seen the Beatles White Album tour we had front row tickets to Christoffer Cross last year also, several others in tour were on rock and romance cruises.