Air travel connecting to Oslo (OSL) from Reykjavik (KEF)

I will be flying from Philadelphia (PHL) to Oslo (OSL) connecting through Reykjavik (KEF). 

Has anyone done this or something similar from the USA?

Where do we clear customs?

My concern is with my layover time in Reykjavik (KEF).  Is 1 hour 30 minutes enough time?

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Clearing Customs (dealing with issues of your personal property) in Europe is almost always the "red/green" situation, which means if you have something to declare, you go to the red aisle or door, if not you go through the green aisle/door. The green door is always very quick. You almost always clear customs at your final destination.

Immigration (dealing with your ability to enter a country, always the more complicated issue) is a different situation. I believe you will clear in KEF. How long it takes all depends on the lines.

Please note he difference between Immigration and Customs.

• Thanks 1

Keflsvik is a very small airport - 1 h 30 M is ‘plenty of time’.

All Iceland Air flights are arriving from USA into KEF almost at the same time in the morning - then the same planes will continue almost at the same time towards different European destinations- very efficient.

Pass port control in KEF while customs in OSL - luggage will be checked throttle OSL so you do not need to worry about your luggage in KEF.

Enjoy you flight and cruise. 

• Thanks 1

I'm guessing you're on IcelandAir? Passport control is quite streamlined for KEF connections, and I've known several people who made the connection in under an hour, so I wouldn't be worried at all about 1h30.

In Oslo, you'll exit the secure area of the terminal through the Duty Free shop (practically a supermarket, where most locals buy a lot of their wine and other alcohol) into baggage claim. As mentioned, customs clearance simply means walking through the green exit if you have nothing to declare.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Liz Masterson said:

Thank you!  I'm going for the 1 hour 40 minute connection then... otherwise its 4 hours in KEF which does not sound delightful.

Iceland Air will do everything in order to direct their guest to the correct flight in time - as said - very small airport.

• Thanks 1

We just flew through Iceland to Copenhagen last month. You may arrive at a remote “gate” out on the tarmac, which means a bit of extra time to take a shuttle to the terminal. That terminal was calm and quiet at 4:45 AM. We spent some time in Duty Free. Then, you will likely switch terminals. To do that, you go through Passport Control (Your luggage is checked through to your final destination.) We were there around 5 AM, and the line was non-existent. Then we entered the extremely chaotic terminal for Europe connections. People lined up helter skelter at gates, no one knowing exactly where to queue, gate agents helping people out of order, long bathroom lines extending into the terminal, and long lines at every eatery in the main food hall. Be prepared to easily spend $20 on breakfast pp; everything is ridiculously expensive there. Boarding took forever due to some delay they never announced the reason for and then glitches with the boarding pass scanner every few people.  We were not that impressed with Icelandair and flying through Iceland. It was ok, but we’d pick another airline in the future if pricing was similar. None of this is to worry you; it wasn’t a big deal, just not as great an experience as we’ve had on other airlines. 

Soooo, my recommendations are:

1) Use the bathroom and grab your breakfast to take with you in the first terminal that’s much calmer before going through Passport Control, providing you have enough time with your relatively short connection. 

2) Verify the line you get in at the gate is for your flight. (Many on our flight kept getting in the Paris line because it was right next to ours; by the time they realized it was the wrong line, our line was much longer, and they had to go to the end.)

Have an awesome vacation! We loved our Baltic cruise! 😀 ...except for the darn Holmenkollen ski jump zipline being broken the day we went! 😩

• Thanks 1