Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
clo

If you cruise/travel A WHOLE LOT, why?

Recommended Posts

16 hours ago, clo said:

One of my fave cities in the world.  And I'd like LA better if the traffic wasn't so awful.

 

I have NO use for NYC.

 

Why bother when there is London or Hong Kong, or MANY other cities.

 

Funny thing was, I was on a trip with another person from my organization.  We were talking about places we liked.  I said that Hong Kong was my favorite city in the world.  He agreed.  I told him that I described HKG as "everything NYC THINKS it is."

 

He laughed, then asked if he could use that, as he agreed.

 

BTW, he was born and raised in NYC. 😄

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, clo said:

I agree with you.  My limited experiences in London have made me feel that there are too many non-British.  And I agree with you about England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland.  Need to get back...and NOT on a cruise 🙂

 

But then again, that also gives you such a wide range of AMAZING restaurants.

 

And then there the the theater.

 

Yes, I LOVE Scotland.  But comparing even Edinburgh to London is apples to grapes. 😄

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, clo said:

My comment was aimed at not British who don't speak English or who are ethnically not British.  But there are so many people there from other countries that it didn't seem very English.  I don't see that in NYC or SF.

 

You have obviously not been around those cities much.

 

Large parts of both are Spanish speaking only.  Smaller portions with many other languages.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A one or two day visit in larger cities is all can handle.  I don't like all the people and all the traffic.  Man-made concrete jungles, whether modern or historical are just not our thing.  I much prefer our vacations that emphasize God's beautiful artwork in nature.  Cruising gives us the ocean and island tours.  On our land vacations we have seen the Grand Canyon, Sedona, Bryce Canyon, Zion, Death Valley, Highway One, Kentucky Caverns, Wisconsin Dells, Niagara Falls, Theodore Roosevelt National Park, Black Hills, Waterfalls in the UP of Michigan, driving through the Pennsylvania and NY mountains in the fall, etc.  Those are my favorite type of vacations.   Yes all of our land vacations have been in the USA.  We may travel to Europe in a couple of years after I have retired and have more time available to do that type of trip justice (I would want at least a month or two with a few European and a Trans-Atlantic Cruise included).  But I have to believe that even in Europe I will search out the natural beauty and avoid long stays in the cities just like we do at home.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SRF said:

I have NO use for NYC.

 

Why bother when there is London or Hong Kong, or MANY other cities.

Whereas I'm unlikely to return to London.  Haven't been to HK and probably won't.  Too much other traveling that ranks higher.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SRF said:

Large parts of both are Spanish speaking only.  Smaller portions with many other languages.

I didn't mean born or mostly lived forever there.  More like tourists and business people from elsewhere.  We have areas here in Reno that are mostly Spanish speaking.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/23/2019 at 12:29 AM, SRF said:

Most of ours were rescue.

 

 

Bonzai !!! SRF-San......Bonzai !!!

 

Miyagi say Akita Mojo like sourdough......keep a little and it keep getting better each batch....

 

Miyagi also say....First find balance....eat,sleep,play,work,...then Akita happy,  everybody happy and all is good...

 

....someday Miyagi  travel to Odate Japan....to see great Akita museum.   

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/26/2019 at 9:42 AM, Warm Breezes said:

  I much prefer our vacations that emphasize God's beautiful artwork in nature. 

Unfortunately you're also missing much of man's beautiful artwork as well - work that can be equally as transforming, as intriguing, and as mysterious.  Whether it's paintings, sculptures, architecture, or even clothing and tattoos......some beautiful and meaningful things that are found and featured in cities. 

I understand not liking the traffic and the crowds.......but everything comes at a cost and I think you're missing some wonderful stuff. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Absolutely.  One could spend a week in the British Museum and still not see everything.   If we plan to spend time in a large city we always combine it with countryside time or ocean time.  There are, of course, a few exceptions.

Edited by iancal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We probably cruise a bit for two main reasons...

 

1. Other forms of travel aren’t very suitable, Mrs Gut can’t fly I don’t lik3 driving long distance if I can avoid it.

 

2. Neither of us travelled much when we were young, before we met for her it was mainly for dance completions etc, my dad was self employed and until he was in his 70s only took two weeks off work. Then we got married, had kids and started studying for new careers, so for a long while time and money were very tight.

 

 

then as a third

 

we both had some serious health issues, so decided we were going to while we could.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, calliopecruiser said:

Unfortunately you're also missing much of man's beautiful artwork as well - work that can be equally as transforming, as intriguing, and as mysterious.  Whether it's paintings, sculptures, architecture, or even clothing and tattoos......some beautiful and meaningful things that are found and featured in cities. 

I understand not liking the traffic and the crowds.......but everything comes at a cost and I think you're missing some wonderful stuff. 

Every one has different preferences.  Seriously I don't get much out of paintings, sculptures, architecture or even clothing and tattoos.  That's just me (and DH as well).  I've done architectural tours, museums, and art galleries during our travels but I much prefer natural beauty to man-made "beauty".  Since that is what I prefer I don't see myself missing out on some "wonderful stuff".  My time on this Earth is short so I will always prioritize doing the things and going to the places I prefer over the places I really don't get much out of.  There are still a lot of naturally beautiful places that I have yet to see on my bucket list.  There are no buildings, paintings, sculptures, etc.  on my bucket list.  To each his own.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Warm Breezes said:

There are still a lot of naturally beautiful places that I have yet to see on my bucket list.

And probably most of them can't be seen on a cruise ship.  Ireland is one very small example.  It's so beautiful and the people are wonderful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Warm Breezes said:

Every one has different preferences.  Seriously I don't get much out of paintings, sculptures, architecture or even clothing and tattoos.  That's just me (and DH as well).  I've done architectural tours, museums, and art galleries during our travels but I much prefer natural beauty to man-made "beauty".  Since that is what I prefer I don't see myself missing out on some "wonderful stuff".  My time on this Earth is short so I will always prioritize doing the things and going to the places I prefer over the places I really don't get much out of.  There are still a lot of naturally beautiful places that I have yet to see on my bucket list.  There are no buildings, paintings, sculptures, etc.  on my bucket list.  To each his own.

 

What a shame that you don't think man is capable of creating something of beauty as well.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

...because it's my job?

 

That's only semi-serious, but I have a job that moves us around the world quite a bit and we want to take as much advantage of that opportunity to explore and experience different ways of living as we can, especially while we still have kids at home. I grew up looking at pictures of castles and pyramids and mountains and thinking I'd never, ever see them in person. It took until college to realize that I had the power to pick up and go, and I haven't stopped since. I hope I never will.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, clo said:

And probably most of them can't be seen on a cruise ship.  Ireland is one very small example.  It's so beautiful and the people are wonderful.

 I totally agree.  Which is why we take just as many land vacations as we do cruises.  When DH and I cruise by ourselves our main purpose is relaxation.  The beauty of the  ocean calms and relaxes me.  When we travel for sight-seeing it is almost always a land vacation.  When we cruise with kids it is to explore the islands with them and do activities they would be interested in as  well as enjoy the ship we are sailing on.

Edited by Warm Breezes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

 

What a shame that you don't think man is capable of creating something of beauty as well.

 

I don't believe I said that at all.  I said I prefer natures beauty over man-made.  I wonder why some feel they need change the way I feel about it?  It is my preference.  I will make my travel plans based on my preferences.  It would be silly of me to base my travel plans based on someone else's bucket list rather than my own.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Warm Breezes said:

I don't believe I said that at all.  I said I prefer natures beauty over man-made.  I wonder why some feel they need change the way I feel about it?  It is my preference.  I will make my travel plans based on my preferences.  It would be silly of me to base my travel plans based on someone else's bucket list rather than my own.

 

Sorry, must have misinterpreted. The way you put "beauty" and "wonderful stuff" in quotes in your response came across as snarky to me and as if you are quoting someone else but don't agree that it is true.  :classic_wacko:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I  like seeing new places and all different things/sites that it has to offer whether it be natural beauty or manmade. What I am not so keen on is seeing the same thing that can be seen in nearly every place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Warm Breezes said:

but I much prefer natural beauty to man-made "beauty".

That's more than a preference.......you aren't even willing to concede that people can make something beautiful (that's why you put it in quotes).   That's OK - everyone's aesthetic is different, but it's rather dismissive to tell someone that what they like requires quotations because you can't even admit it's real.  Sort of like if someone wrote about your favourite restaurant and said that they didn't like the "food" and wouldn't be back. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, calliopecruiser said:

That's more than a preference.......you aren't even willing to concede that people can make something beautiful (that's why you put it in quotes).   

Now you are making your interpretation into something she never said.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Extra Kim said:

Now you are making your interpretation into something she never said.

True.....I made my interpretation from something she wrote.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A with the Coral Expeditions Team
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...