Has anyone missed embarkation & had to get on at first port?

22 hours ago, JHawk63 said:

Thank you ALL for your suggestions! I just got off the phone with the International Desk & the very kind lady had NO PROBLEM changing the flight for no fee. We now are leaving OKC a little earlier, flying thru DFW with a 3 hour layover, that I will happily sit thru knowing I will make it to Vancouver that evening! Doing a happy dance right now & my husband is thrilled that I'm done stressing over this!! :classic_biggrin:

Glad it worked out!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If the Airline changed the flight and it has a 34 min layover they feel it can be done. These days they often sell connecting flights with a 35=45 min layover. Remember in this era of airlines having on time records tracked they have all added big pads in arrival times.  Often you arrive 10=15 min early. 

That said if the airline rebooked your flight with the short layover and you miss the connection it is on them.  They will book you on the next flight out no charge.  

Flying the day before you have some time to play with. Check to see how many flight the airline has from your change flights point to your port. 

13 hours ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

PHX says DOM to INT is a 45 minutes minimum.....🙄

American Airlines obviously disagrees.

But then again, CDG allows a 45 minute minimum connecting time for ANY connection.  Which is insane.

13 hours ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

PHX says DOM to INT is a 45 minutes minimum.....🙄

American Airlines obviously disagrees.

Why would DOM to INT be different from DOM to DOM?  No security, no immigration check, no luggage check.

But then again, CDG allows a 45 minute minimum connecting time for ANY connection.  Which is insane.

12 hours ago, volk904 said:

That said if the airline rebooked your flight with the short layover and you miss the connection it is on them.  They will book you on the next flight out no charge.  

No, they will rebook you on the next flight that has availability.  Big difference!  If the next flight is full, they will not boot someone off the next flight just to accommodate you.

4 hours ago, SRF said:

Why would DOM to INT be different from DOM to DOM?  No security, no immigration check, no luggage check.

Possibly because rebooking someone on another international flight can be more of a hassle (due to more limited flights) than rebooking them on another domestic flight. 

3 hours ago, waterbug123 said:

No, they will rebook you on the next flight that has availability.  Big difference!  If the next flight is full, they will not boot someone off the next flight just to accommodate you.

And that depends on availability and status and ticket price.

I was coming back from FL in Dec one year. Snow in the mid Atlantic.  My first flight was canceled, I was rebooked on a later one.  That one was delayed, then cancelled.  I was rebooked on one in the morning.

Waiting for the hotel shuttle, I met a family that had also been in the second flight I had that was cancelled.  They were booked out 3 DAYS LATER.  I had very high status with the airline, they had none.

I’m taking the same cruise and originally booked my flights for Sept. 20th, the day of the cruise!  We’re flying out of Orlando to Seattle, with connections (also on AA).  I stressed about making it to Seattle in time and what could happen if we missed the ship.  I decided to take a loss on the original tickets and booked new a flight for the night before the cruise on.  It’s a late night flight, but I’m not stressing anymore. I booked with Delta and the cost of the one way flight was minimal.

On 7/22/2019 at 11:28 AM, mnkauf said:

I missed my connection in Seattle on an Alaska cruise.  Flew into Juno directly and ended up being great as we had extra time in Juno to see many things. Insurance covered the extra's. 

Juneau, sorry I thought for a moment that you flew to a nearly defunct internet service. 😀

22 hours ago, SRF said:

And that depends on availability and status and ticket price.

Yep, all of those things will also play into it.  Status helps a lot!

14 hours ago, msjazzymiss said:

I’m taking the same cruise and originally booked my flights for Sept. 20th, the day of the cruise!  We’re flying out of Orlando to Seattle, with connections (also on AA).  I stressed about making it to Seattle in time and what could happen if we missed the ship.  I decided to take a loss on the original tickets and booked new a flight for the night before the cruise on.  It’s a late night flight, but I’m not stressing anymore. I booked with Delta and the cost of the one way flight was minimal.

Are you planning to use the return portion of your original round trip ticket?  (assuming you bought a round trip ticket)  Because when you don't show up for the first part (getting TO Seattle), the remainder of your ticket will be canceled.  The only way to reinstate it would be to pay a hefty change fee plus any differnce in fare, which at the last minute would likely be significant.

I originally booked one way flights, leaving Orlando to Vancouver on American and returning from Honolulu to ORL on Delta.  At the time I booked it was less expensive to book that way.  I cancelled my outbound flight on American and book a flight for the 19th on Delta.  I lost a few dollars,  it now I have peace of mind knowing I’m traveling the day before sailing.