Embassy Suites by Hilton Fort Lauderdale

Rickster50

Hi All,

My wife and I are taking a 7 day eastern Caribbean cruise out of Fort Lauderdale in Dec 2019 and we are thinking of staying at the Embassy Suites by Hilton Ft Lauderdale.

Can any of you cruisers/tourists give us some kind of indication about what that accommodation is like?

Thanks

Rick

If you look around the board, there are many threads on the Embassy Suites. It is an older hotel, very busy during cruise season. Rooms are two room suites. Includes a good sized breakfast and 2 hours of free drinks and lightweight appetizers.

We stay there most times we are in Ft Lauderdale...4 or 5 times now. It is close to many stores and restaurants. It is a short taxi ride from the airport. If you get a high room on the east side, you can watch the ships come and go form the port.

The main complaints are its a little dark and dingy, and it is so busy during cruise season things, like getting into your room, sometimes take a while. But we have had great service there.

Discussed here very regularly.

9 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

If you look around the board, there are many threads on the Embassy Suites. It is an older hotel, very busy during cruise season. Rooms are two room suites. Includes a good sized breakfast and 2 hours of free drinks and lightweight appetizers.

We stay there most times we are in Ft Lauderdale...4 or 5 times now. It is close to many stores and restaurants. It is a short taxi ride from the airport. If you get a high room on the east side, you can watch the ships come and go form the port.

The main complaints are its a little dark and dingy, and it is so busy during cruise season things, like getting into your room, sometimes take a while. But we have had great service there.

Discussed here very regularly.

Perfect summation of the property.  Location is great. Lots of restaurants very close, also a Publix supermarket.

Husband and I stayed there in April for the first time and would definitely go back.  Yes, it is a bit "tired", but still a lovely property in my view.  The afternoon cocktail hour is a nice perk, as well as the very nice breakfast which I think has something for everyone.  A very good value in my opinion.

Embassy Suites is my "go to" hotel in Ft. Lauderdale.  I book it unless it's just not available.  It's in such as convenient location and I don't need a car.  I can get where I need to go on foot.  

Roz

OK for one night.  We would never select it for several days of pre or post cruise.   Rooms are tired, dated, and dark but they are spotless.    Breakfast and evening drinks are not a big draw for us.  We prefer the Hilton Marina, the Ren, or the Hyatt next door.

We've stayed at both Emabssy Suites and Hyatt Place nearby.  Like everyone has said...The ES is dated and worn, the elevators are especially slow on embarkation days and the breakfast is ok to good.  Just make sure you get down for an early breakfast or you will be overwhelmed with others doing the same.

Hyatt Place is very close by and is a bit less expensive.  If you use one of reservation sites that are often mentioned on this website you will get a much better rate.  The Hyatt is much smaller thus less people.  The free breakfast is not as good a ES but it's ok. 

Both sites are very close to Harbor Shops so easy shopping for wines or goodies at Publix. 

Please do your homework and read reviews.  We stayed there twice before and both experiences were bad.  It’s not a hotel I would ever book again.  There are many nicer hotels in the Fort Lauderdale area. 

I hope you have a great trip! 

2 hours ago, Esmerelda said:

Please do your homework and read reviews.  We stayed there twice before and both experiences were bad.  It’s not a hotel I would ever book again.  There are many nicer hotels in the Fort Lauderdale area. 

I hope you have a great trip! 

I agree with Esmeralda %100.  We stayed there a few years ago and it was not good.  In fact we did not get charged for the night because of all the problems.

Love the Hyatt place....

• Like 1

Thanks again everybody for your comments. I think for sheer convenience, and the fact that there is a "Happy Hour" ( which apparently goes for 2 hours) and is right up my alley, the Embassy Suites by Hilton is getting my money for a couple of days.

Looking forward to the cruise also.

Cheers

Rick

• Like 2

Glad you made your choice but please don’t be shocked when the happy hour is a dud.  It is not like other ES happy hours and we stay st a lot of them.  It is long lines, crap wine and snacks.

When we were there the snacks were bags of chips and popcorn.  Not worth it to me.

• Like 1

Geez cheeseclan that sounds like a bit of a letdown. I know we've booked a king premium room...sounds impressive but you never know. I'm not too sure how the lines will be in December, but I may have to re-think this hotel. I know we can cancel out up to 24 hrs before we arrive.

I'm guessing the happy hour may be a "hotel incentive" to get people to book. I'm not that into wine (beer guy).

Can you maybe suggest a better all round alternative?

Rick 

Hyatt is just down the street, along with lots of other nearby hotels.  www.sunny.org has lots of hotel and tourist info. Stay where you want and then buy good beer, instead of cheap "free" beer at a hotel happy hour is my suggestion.

• Like 1

My husband and I stayed there in June.  The room was fine for us.  It had a lot of room.  The breakfast was very good.  We did not take part in the free happy hour because the line was very long.  The gym was nice and had several good treadmills.  The chicken quesadilla from the restaurant on site was the best I had ever had.  I even ordered it the next day.  My husband had a burger and said it was just ok.  There are plenty of restaurants and stores in the area.

We washed a small load of clothes.  There are laundry machines on several floors.  The shuttle in the morning to the port was fine, but it is not a fast process.  I liked that we could buy our tickets and just show up any time after 9:00 a.m.  The only negative was that I booked a room with a king bed and got two full beds.  That is a big enough of a negative that I will not book that particular hotel again.  We didn't complain and probably should have.  I hate to complain though.  Anyway, everything else was fine and met our expectations.

17 minutes ago, Rickster50 said:

Geez cheeseclan that sounds like a bit of a letdown. I know we've booked a king premium room...sounds impressive but you never know. I'm not too sure how the lines will be in December, but I may have to re-think this hotel. I know we can cancel out up to 24 hrs before we arrive.

I'm guessing the happy hour may be a "hotel incentive" to get people to book. I'm not that into wine (beer guy).

Can you maybe suggest a better all round alternative?

Rick 

Sorry to be a bummer but to be honest it sucked when we were there.   We are high up the food chain Hilton members and that made no difference except for maybe not being charged for the night.  For one night it might be okay but be warned the happy hour is not good.   It is all bagged food that they just tear open and drop in the bowl.   The drinks are not good either and it is a huge line that you wait in with a coupon in hand.  I just don't think they care about the place since it always full and right near the cruise port.  They have put NO $ into it either.  Rooms are dark and dirty.

We love the Hyatt Place 17th street right around the corner.  Clean rooms and very nice staff.   They have given us drink coupons in the past for their bar and if you are a member you get free breakfast as well.  Not trying to run your vacation but just want you to know it is not all "peaches and cream".

• Like 1

ES does have a breakfast buffet, with made-to-order omelettes, along with the usual scrambled eggs, bacon, and sausage if you don't want to wait for the made-to-order eggs.  Also lots of pastries and fruit.  Loved their coffee.  No one asked for coupons for drinks, either, when we were there.  Agree that the munchie offerings are nothing you can make a meal out of...popcorn, salsa and chips, some veggies and dip.  Maybe we lucked out, but our room was very clean and everyone we met was friendly and helpful.  This was April 2019. 

• Like 1

Stay at Hyatt Place and walk over to Duffy's sports bar. They have 2 for 1 beers there all day long, the food is pretty good for a chain. E.S. was a big let down when we stayed there about 3 years ago. They had Bud as the only beer, popcorn, snack mix, ect, that was it. We walked to Duffy's.