Day Bag/Travel Purse for Shore Excursions?

I just tore the strap of my black nylon knock-off baggalini travel purse, and bought a replacement -- unfortunately the replacement is both lower quality (ugh, Amazon...) and not big enough to really work as a day bag when I'm traveling, so I'm back to shopping for something new. I was hoping maybe you fashionable travelers would have some recommendations? I want to it be pretty plain so it goes with everything, big enough to fit my wallet, my DSLR camera (no lenses), sunglasses and a bottle of water without struggling to zip it up, and to fold up flat so if I don't want to carry it I can slip it into my luggage. I'd love to upgrade to something leather, but function is more important. Does anyone have anything that they really love that I should try out?

Go to Sherpani.  Take a look at the Dispatch if you can deal with it not folding flat.  RFID protected and slash-proof bottom.  Definitely does NOT look like a tourist bag.  I have it and It would definitely hold a DSLR (depending on lens length), wallet, water. In mine, I have my wallet, phone, tablet,  3small cube-type bags (one with lip gloss, Advil, floss, bobby pins, one with mini brush, barrette, inhaler, tweezers, nail file, one with my work cards, work keys), big Oakley sunglass case, and space for 2 bottles of water as my everyday bag.  When I travel, I can use a carabiner to keep the zippers from getting opened.    

Leather is overrated for travel. Even though I love a nice leather bag, when I'm traveling I want something lightweight and able to withstand weather and whatever else my destination may toss at me.

Baggallini bags are a little generic for my taste, although some of their newer styles are better. Kipling is a brand I like a lot -- a little more style although still casual -- they are really lightweight and definitely crushable for packing. Lately my favorite is Mandarina Duck, an Italian brand that has a variety of bags from more casual to more "city" style. Sherpa as slidergirl mentions is another one I like.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/20/2019 at 10:24 AM, puppycanducruise said:

Check out Lug bags. 

Many have a water bottle holder on the side of the bag for easy access.  Also RFID protection.

And lots of colours to choose from.

Love my Lug bags - have a few of them in different sizes. I also have a small Travelon for when I just need a small purse and not carrying anything else. Also have a larger Travelon that converts to a backpack. Each of the Travelon have RFID protection, anti-slash straps and additional security features. 

Depends on the actual excursion. If I am doing a sightseeing tour, I have a small crossbody bag I use......beach? That small bag goes inside a tote because that would have to include a towel too....sun guard, etc...…..

As for the purse I use every day at home? That is what I use at home. I choose something different for traveling. A more lightweight style. Something in the Kipling brand is fun, lightweight and has a good,

sturdy, adjustable strap.  And I love the material...…...it is a poly and strong...but again, lightweight.

On 8/1/2019 at 5:02 AM, MAVIP said:

Look for Longchamp foldable bags in many sizes and colours. 

I like a good tote for travel but I can never get the Longchamp bags (the totes) to stay on my shoulder...

I bought a tote a couple of years ago in their line that had a cross-body strap but it doesn't hold as much. 

I love Baggalini for the organizing features and variety of colors and linings, but finding the right size with all the options one wants is tricky. Before our Alaska cruise last year, I ordered and returned 2 or 3 before I settled on one in navy that I can use either under my arm or crossbody. I need to look into those other brands like Lug, Mandarina Duck and Travelon. Thanks for those ideas everyone!

• 2 months later...

I am struggling with what I need to bring: I need something to get me to snorkling.. ie towel, water, watershoes, money. 

And then I want something to go on a tour.. perhaps just a crossbody to hold money, water and camera

Everything seems so dark and wintery looking-- not fun and bright for the Caribbean. 

I ended up buying a XS Timbuktu crossbody (https://www.ebags.com/product/timbuk2/classic-messenger-xs/335971?productid=10580596) from a of a friend of mine. I have a bigger size (L) that I use for classes when work sends me to long term training and ADORE. After whining about how it's too big to travel with, it finally occurred to me that, duh, it comes in sizes. 

It's a bit heavy and doesn't pack as small as some of the bagallinis, but I like the size and how rugged it is. Since it was only $10 and a pumpkin spiced latte, if I don't like it I can certainly buy something else. 

It's not exactly bright and fun, but it is plain and unobtrusive... and I'm going to put some fun patches on it to lighten it up a bit. 🙂

• 3 weeks later...

Victoriatourist Vertical Messenger Bag for iPad-Mini:  This bag is probably an inch larger all around than an iPad mini.  It will hold a large Vera Bradley crossbody wallet, a point/shoot camera, small bottle of water, and a few small items like lip balm in the interior pocket.  I think I also stuffed my hat in there at one point. You can see it working as a cross-body (strap is adjustable) on me in the photo; the wallet strap is hanging out as I've just pulled out my camera in the cactus garden.  The exterior pocket will hold a folded map and keycard.  I ran around Utah/Nevada with it successfully and it's going to the Caribbean next week.  And it's $11 on Amazon.

purple bag.jpg

• Like 1