Dublin, Ireland

For those that have stayed in Dublin before or after your cruise, or those that live in the area. I have a hotel question. My husband and I staying there for 4 nights at the very end of August. Have narrowed down our hotel choices to the Maldron on Kevin Street, or The Mont, in the O'Callaghan chain, near Merrion Square. What are your thoughts? I'm open to others. Looking for something in the city center where we can walk places, with free breakfast, and would like to stick to $200 US or less per night, if possible. Thank you!

We really enjoyed our stay at the Hilton Kilmainham Gaol last May prior to our cruise. Granted it is not city center, but the rooms were lovely and transportation options (Luas or HoHo buses) were very close. Our rate included breakfast which was a super buffet with both hot and cold options. I have no idea what current rates are but we booked well in advance and paid around $225 a night.

Safe travels and enjoy your trip!

• Like 1

I live in Dublin, and if it was me I would pick the Mont. It has just been refurbished. It's less than 10 mins walk to Grafton street, and 15 to the Temple bar area. I think the HoHo busses stop on Merrion square.

Edited by IrishComet
Spelling

If your cruise is docking near Terminal 3, the Hilton Garden Inn is the closest hotel.  We stayed there a few years ago and it was very nice and convenient to many of the sights.

If it's between the two you mention, I'd choose the Mont.  

Thank you all for your replies. The reason I am torn, is The Mont seems closer to the Temple Bar area and am worried about noise/crowds. The Maldron on Kevin Street seems a little out of the way, but quieter by St. Patricks Cathedral. It's also a little bit cheaper. Any further thoughts?

• 1 month later...
On 7/21/2019 at 11:32 AM, IrishComet said:

I live in Dublin, and if it was me I would pick the Mont. It has just been refurbished. It's less than 10 mins walk to Grafton street, and 15 to the Temple bar area. I think the HoHo busses stop on Merrion square.

I hope you don't mind me steeping on this thread.  Whats your favorite pub in Dublin that's within a 20 minute car ride from the cruise terminal?  Then what would you recommend to eat  and drink at this place?  Thanks in advance. 

On 7/21/2019 at 12:32 PM, IrishComet said:

Thank You for the recommendations.  What is your recommendation of the Marriott Moxy 1-5 Sackville Place Dublin vs the Aloft 1 Mill Street, The Liberties Dublin, please? We're staying in Dublin for a week between our two cruises Oct 2020.  We enjoy reading your posts.  Thank you for sharing. 

On 9/4/2019 at 9:05 PM, notalandlover said:

I hope you don't mind me steeping on this thread.  Whats your favorite pub in Dublin that's within a 20 minute car ride from the cruise terminal?  Then what would you recommend to eat  and drink at this place?  Thanks in advance. 

I'm not big into pubs as such, so maybe if you give me an idea of what you would like, I can try and advise. For food. if I wanted steak, I'd go to FXB'S and if I want Burgers and Beer, I'd go to Thunder Road Cafe.

50 minutes ago, 4cordelia said:

Thank You for the recommendations.  What is your recommendation of the Marriott Moxy 1-5 Sackville Place Dublin vs the Aloft 1 Mill Street, The Liberties Dublin, please? We're staying in Dublin for a week between our two cruises Oct 2020.  We enjoy reading your posts.  Thank you for sharing. 

I presume you are a Marriott rewards member, Sadly there is not a great choice in Dublin, unless you want to pay top dollar. It might be worth looking at other hotel's. The Aloft is a new hotel and I haven't been there, and the Moxy isn't open yet.

On 9/4/2019 at 9:05 PM, notalandlover said:

The Long Hall, South Gt Georges street. (not far from Grafton Street/Trinity/Temple Bar area)  It's a pub, no food, just bar snacks.  You must get a Guinness here!

Children not admitted!

p.s. I am a firm believer that a pub is for drink and a restaurant is for food, never to be mixed!

Edited by VMax1700

On 9/6/2019 at 2:28 PM, IrishComet said:

I presume you are a Marriott rewards member, Sadly there is not a great choice in Dublin, unless you want to pay top dollar. It might be worth looking at other hotel's. The Aloft is a new hotel and I haven't been there, and the Moxy isn't open yet.

Thanks Irish Comet!   Yes, we are reward members.  We will be traveling through Ireland, Scotland, Whales, and London for 2 1/2 weeks prior to our transatlantic cruise so I'm hoping to use as many Marriott points to cover our stay as possible    I'll look into the other hotels to compare amenities and location.  Thanks again!  

On 9/6/2019 at 12:19 PM, 4cordelia said:

We too are looking at Dublin Hotels. The couple traveling with us next summer booked a room at the Moxy because they wanted to use Marriotts points. Not knowing anything about the Moxy by Marriott brand I did a little research.  They knew nothing other than it is a Marriott in a good location. 

I wanted to give you a heads up on the Moxy brand.  The Moxy is targeted for the millennial age group. They do offer a Senior Citizen discount though!   Reading through some reviews the rooms are small and do not have closets. 

While reading through reviews we decided it was not our type of hotel. What chased us away was reading about the front desk agents doubled as bartenders and barista!

Definitely do your research on hotels that fit your personality before booking for extended periods.  We too are researching hotels for a four day stay before our cruise. 

• Thanks 1

On 9/8/2019 at 3:31 PM, 4cordelia said:

Thanks Irish Comet!   Yes, we are reward members.  We will be traveling through Ireland, Scotland, Whales, and London for 2 1/2 weeks prior to our transatlantic cruise so I'm hoping to use as many Marriott points to cover our stay as possible 

Keep in mind that The Shelbourne and Westin are also in the Marriott points portfolio-- we used points at The Shelbourne a few months ago and at 60,000 points a night it was a pretty good deal considering the room was selling for 700 Euro. The Westin is a little bit less at 50k points per night (I think the Shelbourne is a better deal for 10k more).

Agree there aren't great redemption options for Marriott but you can stay in a pretty iconic hotel on St Stephens Green for free with enough points. 

• 4 weeks later...

I have been enjoying reading these posts.

Our travel agent booked us at the Maldron on Kevin Street. Any reviews on it?

On google maps, looks like there are plenty of things to do in the area. 

On 7/19/2019 at 3:02 PM, lovetotraveltx said:

For those that have stayed in Dublin before or after your cruise, or those that live in the area. I have a hotel question. My husband and I staying there for 4 nights at the very end of August. Have narrowed down our hotel choices to the Maldron on Kevin Street, or The Mont, in the O'Callaghan chain, near Merrion Square. What are your thoughts? I'm open to others. Looking for something in the city center where we can walk places, with free breakfast, and would like to stick to $200 US or less per night, if possible. Thank you!

We stayed in the Hotel Riu Plaza The Gresham.

Its about 200 meters up from the Post Office and walking distance from Temple Bar.

On 9/6/2019 at 4:22 PM, IrishComet said:

I'm not big into pubs as such, so maybe if you give me an idea of what you would like, I can try and advise. For food. if I wanted steak, I'd go to FXB'S and if I want Burgers and Beer, I'd go to Thunder Road Cafe.

FXB's usually requires a reservation for anyone considering it.  We've been turned away twice for not having one when we tried at the last minute, but they are fairly easy to secure if you ring them up a couple of days in advance.

• 2 months later...

For our Dublin stay. We think the following hotels might be good for our first visit after our transatlantic.  We are very cost conscious and these are in our budget areas.  Any assistance would be helpful;

Hilton Hotel

Russell Court

Dublin Skylon

Clayton Hotel Cardiff

Any thoughts re. these.  We are seniors with 2 days available.  thanks.

2 minutes ago, woody14h said:

For our Dublin stay. We think the following hotels might be good for our first visit after our transatlantic.  We are very cost conscious and these are in our budget areas.  Any assistance would be helpful;

Hilton Hotel

Russell Court

Dublin Skylon

Clayton Hotel Cardiff

Any thoughts re. these.  We are seniors with 2 days available.  thanks.

The Skylon is way out of the centre of Dublin.  

Which Hilton?  Not the airport Hilton, it also is too far out.

Russell Court is in a great central location (Harcourt Street) and close enough to St Stephen's Green etc.  The tram system is outside the door.  We havn't stayed there in years but would certainly consider it.

Clayton Cardiff Lane is reasonable location, but not much close by.  You could walk across the river (try using the bridge tho'!) and get the tram into central dublin.

If I was picking then either Russell Court or Hilton Garden Inn, Custom House Quay, which is also close to the tram system.

4 minutes ago, VMax1700 said:

The Skylon is way out of the centre of Dublin.  

Which Hilton?  Not the airport Hilton, it also is too far out.

Russell Court is in a great central location (Harcourt Street) and close enough to St Stephen's Green etc.  The tram system is outside the door.  We havn't stayed there in years but would certainly consider it.

Clayton Cardiff Lane is reasonable location, but not much close by.  You could walk across the river (try using the bridge tho'!) and get the tram into central dublin.

If I was picking then either Russell Court or Hilton Garden Inn, Custom House Quay, which is also close to the tram system.

Hilton Dublin Charlemont street.  Center City.

Thanks. Hilton Garden is a little pricy. Russell Court sounds about right.  Will pursue.

12 minutes ago, woody14h said:

Hilton Dublin Charlemont street.  Center City.

Thanks. Hilton Garden is a little pricy. Russell Court sounds about right.  Will pursue.

I had forgotten that one!  Stayed there a few years ago and it is fine.  There is a tram stop just alongside and it is a reasonable walk into the centre.  Russell Court is closer to center, but Hilton Charlemont would be a good option.