Docking in NYC

nittany lion fan

11 minutes ago, nittany lion fan said:

I was really hoping to be in Manhattan. Bayonne is much more inconvenient. Hoping there will be some sort of shuttle, or NYC on your own excursion. 

For that TA, you will indeed dock in the city at 57th St. right next to the Intrepid Museum.   Very convenient to catch a cab to the rest of the city.   The TA cruises have docked in the city the last couple of years, much more convenient for you to visit the city. 

Edited by dkjretired

22 minutes ago, cruza said:

Could be 57th Street Manhattan port, i had seen Celebrity ships docked there after Atlantic crossing 

The HD and Captain told me Manhattan Port. I hope that the Captain knows where he is going.

I'm also on that cruise. Captain George Iatrou will be on and he is wonderful!

Edited by Orator

18 minutes ago, nittany lion fan said:

Thanks for the info. I am happy to be near the Intrepid. Just wanted to know before purchasing tix to 

Show, tour .etc

I don't know that I would buy tix in advance given what happened last year. The weather in the North Atlantic can vary greatly. You might want to check some reviews and threads of the SIL crossing last year. I'm hoping for great weather, but preparing myself for rough seas and cold temperatures.

Edited by Orator

1 hour ago, Orator said:

I don't know that I would buy tix in advance given what happened last year. The weather in the North Atlantic can vary greatly. You might want to check some reviews and threads of the SIL crossing last year. I'm hoping for great weather, but preparing myself for rough seas and cold temperatures.

Also happened to us in 2014 on Eclipse where we didn't get to NY until 2 days after we were scheduled due to an itinerary change because of weather in the North Atlantic.

2 hours ago, nittany lion fan said:

The Silhouette is crossing the Atlantic in October/November 2019. Can anyone tell me where we will be docked? We are scheduled to dock overnight 11/1 & 11/2. Or tell me where I can get this info.

2 hours ago, gerelmx said:

Bayonne. Cape Liberty, N.J.

http://www.cruiseliberty.com/

gerelmx, why would you say that?  While Celebrity cruises that start and/or end in NY Harbor use Bayonne, those merely having port calls use the Manhattan Cruise Terminal (so people can easily sightsee in Manhattan).

We were on the Silhouette TA last fall, with an overnight in NY like the OP will be having, and we docked at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal.   OP: look at your booking confirmation -- for Nov. 1 and Nov. 2, if it says "New York, New York" that means Manhattan, not Bayonne (which is in New Jersey).

Cruisetimetables.com shows the Silhouette docked at the Manhattan Cruise Terminal, Nov. 1 and 2, 2019,  as does cruisett.com

https://www.cruisetimetables.com/visitingnewyorkcitynewyork-01nov2019.html

http://ports.cruisett.com/schedule/United_States_Of_America/462-New_York_New_York/November_2019/

OP: in terms of advance purchase of show tickets, etc., it is of course possible that your itinerary could change.  Ours did last fall, at the last minute, because of a storm moving across the Atlantic.  Celebrity eliminated one port and moved the others back a day.  Of course, that can happen on any cruise.   

Enjoy your cruise, the Silhouette is wonderful!

2 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

gerelmx, why would you say that?  While Celebrity cruises that start and/or end in NY Harbor use Bayonne, those merely having port calls use the Manhattan Cruise Terminal (so people can easily sightsee in Manhattan).

Sorry if I'm wrong.

The cruise time tables for November 1 do not say on which pier it will be, you can only see which ships will be in New York.

AIDAdiva, Celebrity Silhouette , Seabourn Quest , Silver Whisper

8 minutes ago, gerelmx said:

Sorry if I'm wrong.

The cruise time tables for November 1 do not say on which pier it will be, you can only see which ships will be in New York.

AIDAdiva, Celebrity Silhouette , Seabourn Quest , Silver Whisper

Yes, New York!  Which is NOT Bayonne, New Jersey.  🙂

And, as I noted above, if you look at the Ports of Call pages for Cruisetimetables.com (the same site you used), it shows the Silhouette in New York, NY on Nov. 1 and 2, as does cruisett.com.   (The links are in my comment above.)

Just now, Turtles06 said:

Yes, New York!  Which is NOT Bayonne, New Jersey.  🙂

And, as I noted above, if you look at the Ports of Call pages for Cruisetimetables.com (the same site you used), it shows the Silhouette in New York, NY on Nov. 1 and 2, as does cruisett.com.   (The links are in my comment above.)

For cruise ships that use Cape Liberty as a port, cruise time tables list them in NY

There are two cruise ship ports in New York Harbour.  One is in New Jersey and the other is in Manhattan, NY.   They are across the river from each other.   (I won't get into the one in Brooklyn).    

Edited by keesar

OP: looking at the itinerary for your TA on Celebrity's own web site, it shows the Silhouette docked in New York, New York on Nov. 1 and 2.  (By contrast, it uses "Cape Liberty,  NJ" on upcoming itineraries for the Summit, which sails out of NJ.)

Last year, before our Silhouette TA, someone on our Roll Call picked up an error from some web site (that I'd never heard of) showing that our overnight was going to be in Bayonne.  Some people went crazy trying to figure out how they were going to sightsee in Manhattan from Bayonne.   

If you have any doubts at all, call Celebrity.

42 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

OP: looking at the itinerary for your TA on Celebrity's own web site, it shows the Silhouette docked in New York, New York on Nov. 1 and 2.  (By contrast, it uses "Cape Liberty,  NJ" on upcoming itineraries for the Summit, which sails out of NJ.)

Last year, before our Silhouette TA, someone on our Roll Call picked up an error from some web site (that I'd never heard of) showing that our overnight was going to be in Bayonne.  Some people went crazy trying to figure out how they were going to sightsee in Manhattan from Bayonne.   

If you have any doubts at all, call Celebrity.

That's what I was going to say, if you look at the Celebrity web site, it clearly has the Silhouette docking in New York City overnight while cruises departing from Bayonne clearly state Cape Liberty.   I do remember the same thing happened last year, its an honest mistake, no biggie.   No matter what they'll find out when they get there.  

19 hours ago, Orator said:

I also was on the Nov 2018 sailing of the Silhouette and yes we docked next to the Intrepid.

My piece of advice for preparing is to bring a seasickness remedy, even if you don't ordinarily or never have gotten seasick (it wasn't THAT bad, but I rarely if ever get seasick, and one dose of Bonine greatly improved my outlook on life over one 12 hour period early iin the trip...wasn't bad enough that we missed a meal, LOL). ANd, yes prepare for cool weather, but the real problem we had on the trip was we weren't prepared for how crowded the ship became when much of the deck space and your personal balcony were closed for days at a time. We overdid it in London prior to sailing, so exhaustion and sore legs plus needing to get sea legs over the first 36 hours, meant that we missed out on the CC meet and greet and joining a lot of the groups.

Take Bonine before the seas get rough - I literally only took one dose, but I wish I had taken another dose 8-12 hours earlier than I did. And brush up your favorite card games! I came home and started online bridge lessons - I'll be ready next time.

3 hours ago, cangelmd said:

I also was on the Nov 2018 sailing of the Silhouette and yes we docked next to the Intrepid.

My piece of advice for preparing is to bring a seasickness remedy, even if you don't ordinarily or never have gotten seasick (it wasn't THAT bad, but I rarely if ever get seasick, and one dose of Bonine greatly improved my outlook on life over one 12 hour period early iin the trip...wasn't bad enough that we missed a meal, LOL). ANd, yes prepare for cool weather, but the real problem we had on the trip was we weren't prepared for how crowded the ship became when much of the deck space and your personal balcony were closed for days at a time. We overdid it in London prior to sailing, so exhaustion and sore legs plus needing to get sea legs over the first 36 hours, meant that we missed out on the CC meet and greet and joining a lot of the groups.

Take Bonine before the seas get rough - I literally only took one dose, but I wish I had taken another dose 8-12 hours earlier than I did. And brush up your favorite card games! I came home and started online bridge lessons - I'll be ready next time.

Hoping for calm seas this fall but if they are rough I actually enjoy it and have been on board the Infinity when  there were 40 ft. seas. Lots of furniture toppled and many stayed in bed 

4 hours ago, cangelmd said:

the real problem we had on the trip was we weren't prepared for how crowded the ship became when much of the deck space and your personal balcony were closed for days at a time.

At least we had the occasional rainbow to look at, even through the glass.  😄

enhance

(photo by turtles06)