can’t print docs

CJcruzer

this is the first time I have ever encountered this problem, although I have read of others who have had trouble.

I tried to inquire through search function here on CC, under the HAL board, but docs comes up for all cruiselines, a lot of spreadsheets, etc.  Why CC ever changed the search function to not be specific to a particular board, is beyond me.

Back to my dilemma, I am working on an iPad, tried all the suggestions on FAQ on HAL site, and nothing.

This is disturbing, as I have 3 upcoming cruises and I do not need this hassle.    no luggage tags, no docs,    and yes it says the docs are ready, and all the headings are checked off and completely filled in - 

thanks for any help, I have cleared my cache, but that does not seem to do anything.

There are so many variables affecting printing that it could take forever to make it work. Ipad updated? Printer firmware updated? Do you need a printer app for the iPad, etc.
The simplest solution would be to forward the docs to a gmail account, go to your local library, use one of their patron computers to log into your gmail account and print the docs there. Don't forget to log out of gmail and the computer when you leave.

Brand new iPad, updated with most recent IOS.... I cannot even get the docs to load, just circle of doom..... otherwise I would forward it to my gmail.

I have printer that is airprint, configured to my recently new iPad, have been printing remotely for years.

And to the one or two people who constantly poo-poo that you do not need the boarding pass- as we are 4 star mariners  and is indicated on the boarding pass, the staff immediately sees that we are priority embark.  Although at one embarkation port, the attendant argued with me and gave me tag # 27 for boarding.. 😟

I quickly took this up with another attendant who took the tag away and ushered us to the priority embarkation line.

Thank you for the above suggestions, but I think I have that already covered.  I cannot seem to get the documents to load.    I would even save them to my google drive, ibooks - but nothing appears.

OK, so now after the circle of doom, I get screen saying Safari could not grt webpage...something with webkit and some numbers.  I will go back in and get screenshot (I forgot to do it).

In 15 years, I have NEVER had a problem with 20 HAL cruises, and several on other lines also.

1 minute ago, Hawaiidan said:

dosent HAL mail you your paper work?      ...   Isn;t the down load stuff for computer  whizzes  who like that stuff. ?...    

for real or are you bring sarcastic?  🤨

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CJcruzer said:

for real or are you bring sarcastic?  🤨

I am very serious... I dont have a printer or a gizmo.....    When do they mail stuff out before a cruise.   Been a few years since I cruised HAL...  all the other lines send me whole booklets with everything in it.

8 minutes ago, CJcruzer said:

they stopped mailing docs many many moons ago.

Your kidding.... so what  now... call  HAL?      I am not going out and spend hundreds   upon hundreds of dollars to  buy all sorts of stuff that I have no clue or know how to use.    And no I dont  have one of those new phones either...  Never needed one.....  cant see a need for me.  

Edited by Hawaiidan

I found at one point that I had to click on the link twice. First time wouldn’t work, but second time (on ipad or iMac) would produce a PDF. That was maybe 6 months ago?

41 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

Your kidding.... so what  now... call  HAL?      I am not going out and spend hundreds   upon hundreds of dollars to  buy all sorts of stuff that I have no clue or know how to use.    And no I dont  have one of those new phones either...  Never needed one.....  cant see a need for me.  

I would call.  Let us know how you make out for your docs on your upcoming August cruise.  It has been years since HAL sent out docs. perhaps you previously got them from your TA?

I have found lately that I need Google Chrome to print out documents on both Holland and Carnival cruise lines. I don't have a printer at home anymore, so I just go to the local public library and print out my documents there using their computers (Google Chrome) and printers - color for luggage tags ($.50 a page) and B&W for boarding passes and other docs I want to bring with me ($.10 a page). Have not encountered any problems at all.

2 hours ago, Hawaiidan said:

Have your TA take care of it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CJcruzer said:

I tried to inquire through search function here on CC, under the HAL board, but docs comes up for all cruiselines, a lot of spreadsheets, etc.  Why CC ever changed the search function to not be specific to a particular board, is beyond me.

When in the search box, there should be a drop-down menu with options to limit where you are searching

The last couple of posts in this thread give specific instructions.  The options are slightly different if you're on a desktop versus a mobile device.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2672129-how-to-search-fo-something/

In terms of the documents, they present themselves in a pop-up so if those are blocked you won't see them.  Ad blockers might interfere too.  If you cannot get it to work in Safari, try another browser like Firefox or Chrome. 

I had trouble printing out my docs, too, although my luggage tags printed out without any problem. I called the HA support number on the top of the "print my docs" web page--877-724-5425. They emailed me the docs in a .pdf format. I opened the email and printed the docs out. 

Hope you have a great cruise!

12 hours ago, CJcruzer said:

this is the first time I have ever encountered this problem, although I have read of others who have had trouble.

Back to my dilemma, I am working on an iPad, tried all the suggestions on FAQ on HAL site, and nothing.

This is disturbing, as I have 3 upcoming cruises and I do not need this hassle.    no luggage tags, no docs,    and yes it says the docs are ready, and all the headings are checked off and completely filled in - 

thanks for any help, I have cleared my cache, but that does not seem to do anything.

I’ve had issues printing too and discovered a few things.

I’ve had issues with Safari as well on my IPad for printing.  You can go to Google Chrome or Internet Explorer on your IPad and use that to download.  I usually use google chrome but on one occasion, it didn’t work, so I used IE and it worked fine.

I also got my friend’s docs that way as she could not get them to download either.

After I got my docs printed (the time I used google chrome and it didn’t seem to work) it turned out they were already in my downloads!

I know how frustrating this can be.  Ad and popup blockers do alter your ability to print.  Since it is a new iPad, you may have Block All Cookies set in the Safari settings and that may also be the problem.  If you have a different browser, don't forget to try that as well.  On the HAL website it says:

For questions and/or help with your Online Check-in forms, please email Holland America Reservations or call 1-800-207-3545. Please be aware that Holland America Line cannot print or fax a guest's Express Docs or Boarding Pass.

17 hours ago, T8NCruise said:

I would call.  Let us know how you make out for your docs on your upcoming August cruise.  It has been years since HAL sent out docs. perhaps you previously got them from your TA?

Thankyou.... It has been a long time since  I cruised with HAL.... maybe 12  years.   Other lines I cruised with sent me nice bound booklets  mailed by the lines.     Hence,  I never imagined that this was not standard practice...   Surprise.    I'll have my Agent do this he may have assumed I knew.   

Of note  as to the libiary or  even  hotel  computers...   I can not get in to my stuff  as you need all sorts of pass words ....     Again thanks...  there is an assumption that everyone today has all sorts of electronic gizmos,  however  many of us  either  don't  or don't want to.

well, I circumvented the problem.  I went on my Samsung phone, went on HAL website, logged in, pressed tab for documents, and they loaded on the screen.

I then saved them to my google drive - I don’t have my phone set up for airprint...

Then I went to my iPad and printed only the pages I needed - also printed luggage tags,

Thanks everyone for suggestions,  

6 hours ago, kazu said:

I’ve had issues printing too and discovered a few things.

I’ve had issues with Safari as well on my IPad for printing.  You can go to Google Chrome or Internet Explorer on your IPad and use that to download.  I usually use google chrome but on one occasion, it didn’t work, so I used IE and it worked fine.

I also got my friend’s docs that way as she could not get them to download either.

After I got my docs printed (the time I used google chrome and it didn’t seem to work) it turned out they were already in my downloads!

problem was that my documents did not even load with Safari (I have always been able to access them for past cruises on iPad and Safari).

Maybe this is a problem with the latest tweak to HAL website?  I also unblocked pop-ups cleared cache, etc etc

Might need  to download chrome to my iPad, as an alternate browser, for future cruise documents..

Edited by CJcruzer

36 minutes ago, CJcruzer said:

Might need  to download chrome to my iPad, as an alternate browser, for future cruise documents..

Chrome or IE.  IE tends to work better for me for HAL last time, but Chrome for others.  

Might be worth the download if it gets you what you need.  Good luck.