CP or UV Filter for Caribbean Cruise?

Cruising in the southern Caribbean next week.  I have a Sony RX10ii, and both UV and CP filters.  About 95% of  my shooting will be outdoors (landscapes, panoramas, street scenes, etc.).  Wondering if I should just leave the UV filter in the bag, and keep the CP filter on all week . . . Any thoughts?

Digital cameras don't need a UV filter as UV light is not an issue with digital.  There is also the endless debate of "lens protection" with a filter.  Some folks swear by them, others (like me) have absolutely no use for Uv or any type of protection filter. (You can search photography message boards and read to your hearts content over this debate.  If you think the passport/no passport debates on this website are tiresome....the filter v no filter debates will make you want to jump off a bridge). 

Now a CP (I assume you are talking about a circular polarizer) can be useful, but only when needed. Do not leave it on all the time, it can cause some funky effects if the light is not in the right location. (especially in wide angle stuff as you can get uneven sky colors.).   I would read up on line about using a CPL filter and bring it with you, but no reason to leave it on the camera all the time. 

The polarizer really has great effect on water and sky but remember that the sky effect is directional and is greatest at 90° to the sun. In a very wide angle lens shot or  a panorama that covers a wider area than the effect of the polarizer, the sky can appear uneven. A polarizer can also be good on rainy days if you are photographing foliage since it removes reflection from the wet leaves and allows the color to pop.

As TruckerDave mentioned, leaving it on all the time is not recommended since a polarizer can reduce the light reaching the sensor by one to two stops (depending on type and brand) leading to slower shutter speeds, higher ISO settings or both. The only use I can think of for a polarizer indoors would be for removing glare and reflections from display cases and such. Portraits can be helped or hindered since a shiny forehead can be tamed but shining eyes, smiles and glossy fingernails can look flat and dull. Shooting from a vehicle can be problematic if the vehicle has tinted or treated windows. Odd light and dark patterns can be caused by the slight polarization of the glass or coating. Plastic windows in planes or helicopters are just bad news since almost all plastics polarize light and can cause rainbow colors all across your image when shooting with a polarizer.

UV filters as UV filters are not needed since the sensors are filtered to pass only visible light and limit ultraviolet and infrared. As protection, that a religion-level discussion that I'll not presume to tell you wat to do (😉). If you bash about in the jungle, expose yourself and your camera to sandstorms or violent sea spray in an open boat, a UV filter as protection may be a good idea. If you are walking and use a lens hood regularly (and I do highly recommend that), the need becomes a matter of preference.

If you end up using either, buy a good one. Some of the less expensive brands can be pretty good but quality and light transmission varies widely.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Edited by pierces