Passport ID card (US) - Why don’t most use it?

Icon901

On 7/19/2019 at 10:29 PM, Icon901 said:

I see a lot of posts fretting about taking passports ashore, copies of passports, etc. 

Yet I’ve not once seen mention of a US Passport ID card. Why is that? It’s as good as a passport in the carribean, Mexico, Canada.... it’s also REAL ID compliant, and likely more recognizable than state drivers licenses for anything you may need a photo ID for. And it’s waterproof 🙂 

Why is the standard not to Leave the passport in the safe, take the card, and be done it? 

The card doesn't do you any good ashore. It is only for land based crossings and cruises. The reason you would need a passport would be if you missed the ship and had to fly somewhere and the card doesn't work for that. As far as a simple ID you DL works just as well, and there is a lot less potential risk if you lose it or it is stolen.

BTW I use my card when flying domestically so I don't have to worry about the type of DL that I have.

Edited by zqvol

Good feedback guys, Thanks

I recognize it's only good for land/sea border crossings and that it doesn't help for emergency flights home. 

I got one when I got my book because it was a lousy $30. It proves handy when travelling into Canada/Mexico as well as serving as a great primary ID in Europe (needed infrequently) while leaving my passport in the safe. While Real ID hasn't been implemented, my state's ID is not compliant yet, either. 

I guess it seemed to me like a better option than the DL since it at least has your Passport ID number on it (which is as effective as a paper copy of your passport). I certainly would prefer it to a paper copy of anything that can't get wet (I realize not everyone gets in the water though :) ).

All good on the feedback. I do understand the aversion to the extra $30 with limited benefits over most existing DL. Cheers!

17 minutes ago, Icon901 said:

Good feedback guys, Thanks

I recognize it's only good for land/sea border crossings and that it doesn't help for emergency flights home. 

I got one when I got my book because it was a lousy $30. It proves handy when travelling into Canada/Mexico as well as serving as a great primary ID in Europe (needed infrequently) while leaving my passport in the safe. While Real ID hasn't been implemented, my state's ID is not compliant yet, either. 

I guess it seemed to me like a better option than the DL since it at least has your Passport ID number on it (which is as effective as a paper copy of your passport). I certainly would prefer it to a paper copy of anything that can't get wet (I realize not everyone gets in the water though 🙂 ).

All good on the feedback. I do understand the aversion to the extra $30 with limited benefits over most existing DL. Cheers!

It was my understanding that the passport and passport card both have unique numbers assigned to them, but since we don't have the card I don't know for sure. Also, "copy" of a passport need not be a physical copy, mine is a picture on my phone (and I also have a copy of that saved on the cloud, just in case something happens to said phone). The benefit of the copy is if you have your passport lost or stolen it may be used as proof of citizenship by the Consulate/Embassy in issuing a new passport.

8 hours ago, Icon901 said:

While Real ID hasn't been implemented, my state's ID is not compliant yet, either. 

We have Real ID in Nevada.  I just got my new DL recently.

I live in one of those Enhanced ID states. I have an enhanced drivers license which allows me to cross into Canada. I also have a NEXUS card so I can jump across whenever I need a Tim Hortons fix. I also have a passport book. I use all of them for very different reasons. When I travel I never remove my drivers license. It would be less inconvenient to replace my NEXUS card, so I use that as ID. Always bring passport, almost never show it to anyone...again use NEXUS. We all have our own way of doing things. I think if I did not have NEXUS, and passport card was only a few dollars additional, I would use that as my ID when I travel. (Unless I needed to show passport book for international travel)

• Like 1