Japan cruises, which is the majority of the nationality that sail?

lianaks

Sailed on the Diamond from Kobe in May - Great ship, fantastic itinerary. Passengers were a truly international mix. About 60% Japanese, with Americans, Canadians - a lot of whom were from Québec - Aussies, Kiwis, Chinese (PRC and Taiwan), Korean and a few Brits (guilty as charged) making up the rest. Announcements were in English and Japanese. Can't speak for others but it gave me the opportunity to increase my limited Japanese vocabulary and keep up my French...

We sailed with Celebrity and HAL out of Yokohama/Tokyo. On both cruises the majority where Americans, Canadians and Australians followed by Europeans. Only a handful of Asians. Language Was English as usual (and only English). It depends on where the cruise is marketed. If sold in Asia you can have a large number of Asians on board.

Princess markets in Japan, therefore they have a mix of Anglophone and Japanese passengers. None of my cruises had any Japanese passengers, marketing was exclusively in English speaking countries. Other cruise lines market primarily in Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore.

With Diamond Princess in Japan year-round, they must advertise locally - in Japanese - to keep the ship full. Diamond Princess often (not always) carries more Japanese and Chinese passengers than the other “foreign” cruise lines. The Diamond Princess product is also geared more to Asians - especially Japanese.

The other foreign mass market lines are only part-timers in Japan / Asia. Their products and services are generally considered sub-standard by the Japanese and also too expensive by many other Asians.

Japan has quite a few ferries that “cruise” around the Japanese Islands. These ferries are not elegant, but they compete successfully for the short-term Japanese cruiser. Non-Japanese speaking pax would have difficulties on these ferries. 

30 minutes ago, BruceMuzz said:

With Diamond Princess in Japan year-round, they must advertise locally - in Japanese - to keep the ship full.

They do. I saw the posters in Japanese travel agencies. There were also 2 Japanese cruise ships in Yokohama. I don't know if they are glorified ferries or actually do week long cruises.