Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Chigirlcruzin

Formal nights/smart casual nights

Recommended Posts

Hi! Experienced cruiser but only one on Royal ten years ago. We’re booked on Freedom of the Seas in December. I see there are three types of dress codes - casual, smart casual, and formal. 

 

Regarding formal night, do men really wear suits and ties? I’ve been doing a lot of NCL and that is definitely not the norm. No big deal if it is, but don’t want to bring a suit if it’s not necessary. 

 

Are there nights that are specified as smart casual? Last time I was on Royal it was either casual or formal. 

 

Finally, I assume children under 12 have to follow the same dress code? Specifically they will have to wear pants for dinner? 

 

I have no issues following the dress code - I just want to know the norms. Thanks in advance!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Royal does not enforce dress suggestions.

 

Some men wear tuxes, some wear suits and ties, some wear a coat, some wear khakis and a polo, some wear jeans, some wear shorts.  You will see the full range of attire, wear whatever you like.  Same thing with children.

 

I've never seen much of a difference in attire between casual and smart casual.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tuxes are almost obsolete.  Some men do wear jackets and a tie.  Many men wear nice pants and a dress shirt and nice shoes.  You would be fine not packing a suit or jacket.  My husband wears nice pants with a dress shirt and a tie.   On casual nights, he wears khakis and a polo or sport shirt.  I think they did away with "smart casual", but have theme nights on occasion if you want to participate (Caribbean).   Children are supposed to follow the dress code.  I would advise against shorts in the dining room for evening, though others may disagree.  Hope this helps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We did see a couple of tux’s Oasis in November, but very few. I recently retired my tux. Now where a sport jacket and no tie on formal, have seen people in shorts on formal nights 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My husband stopped wearing a suit and tie several cruises ago. He is much happier wearing a button-down shirt on formal nights. He always ended up ditching the suit jacket right after dinner anyway. Now there is less to pack and no time wasted going back to the cabin after dinner to ditch the jacket. He still looks great in our pictures we take on formal night. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perfect, thank you all! Suit will stay at home. And kiddos will have to deal with pants for a few hours lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chigirlcruzin said:

Perfect, thank you all! Suit will stay at home. And kiddos will have to deal with pants for a few hours lol. 

Actually that's your choice, but they really don't have to.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Chigirlcruzin said:

Hi! Experienced cruiser but only one on Royal ten years ago. We’re booked on Freedom of the Seas in December. I see there are three types of dress codes - casual, smart casual, and formal. 

 

Regarding formal night, do men really wear suits and ties? I’ve been doing a lot of NCL and that is definitely not the norm. No big deal if it is, but don’t want to bring a suit if it’s not necessary. 

 

Are there nights that are specified as smart casual? Last time I was on Royal it was either casual or formal. 

 

Finally, I assume children under 12 have to follow the same dress code? Specifically they will have to wear pants for dinner? 

 

I have no issues following the dress code - I just want to know the norms. Thanks in advance!

 

19 hours ago, Chigirlcruzin said:

Hi! Experienced cruiser but only one on Royal ten years ago. We’re booked on Freedom of the Seas in December. I see there are three types of dress codes - casual, smart casual, and formal. 

 

Regarding formal night, do men really wear suits and ties? I’ve been doing a lot of NCL and that is definitely not the norm. No big deal if it is, but don’t want to bring a suit if it’s not necessary. 

 

Are there nights that are specified as smart casual? Last time I was on Royal it was either casual or formal. 

 

Finally, I assume children under 12 have to follow the same dress code? Specifically they will have to wear pants for dinner? 

 

I have no issues following the dress code - I just want to know the norms. Thanks in advance!

My DH and I dress and follow the code for Formal and smart casual. Many people do.  Yes, he does wear a tie and jacket- and I a cocktail dress.  The ship, especially at night is cool and dressing in a suit will be comfortable for your husband.  Enjoy

Edited by Cruise a holic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Chigirlcruzin said:

Perfect, thank you all! Suit will stay at home. And kiddos will have to deal with pants for a few hours lol. 

Children do not have to wear pants in mdr. They can wear nice shorts & a polo shirt. When you’re in the mdr you will see all kinds of dress & it’s definitely relaxed for kids. Why bother them with pants when it’s not necessary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Royal really doesn't care much what you wear anymore on formal nights in the dining room, so you will see people dressed in all kinds of way .   The fees the airlines have put on luggage has also discouraged people from bringing formal clothes on a cruise.   The times in the main dining room have changed, dress as you see fit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, springfire said:

Royal really doesn't care much what you wear anymore on formal nights in the dining room, so you will see people dressed in all kinds of way .   The fees the airlines have put on luggage has also discouraged people from bringing formal clothes on a cruise.   The times in the main dining room have changed, dress as you see fit. 

We dress comfortable but formally.  You can do both.  You need to factor in an Additional $50 for luggage on most airlines to travel and bring adequate clothes with you for a cruise-  I would not compromise my vacation clothes choices.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/20/2019 at 9:33 AM, MLP12 said:

Tuxes are almost obsolete.  Some men do wear jackets and a tie.  Many men wear nice pants and a dress shirt and nice shoes.  You would be fine not packing a suit or jacket.  My husband wears nice pants with a dress shirt and a tie.   On casual nights, he wears khakis and a polo or sport shirt.  I think they did away with "smart casual", but have theme nights on occasion if you want to participate (Caribbean).   Children are supposed to follow the dress code.  I would advise against shorts in the dining room for evening, though others may disagree.  Hope this helps.

Can anyone tell me what the theme nights, if any, are on the Harmony of the Seas?  I’ve heard about the Caribbean night and the “white” night?  Is the white night just what it sounds like — people dress in white?  Is it a casual night, or ?  Any others, other than the two formal nights?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On July 7 HOTS, I saw quite a bit more "formal" wear than I had anticipated.   There were lots of big family/friend groups quite kitted out.

I had a linen top and pants and felt a little under dressed, but I am a widow with a ten year old granddaughter and who really cares what I wear.🤔

They were lovely to look at though.  We, my granddaughter and I, sat in the Bionic bar and watched people posing on the stairs.

We love people watching.🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, patcacmt said:

Can anyone tell me what the theme nights, if any, are on the Harmony of the Seas?  I’ve heard about the Caribbean night and the “white” night?  Is the white night just what it sounds like — people dress in white?  Is it a casual night, or ?  Any others, other than the two formal nights?  

White night:  yes you wear only white.  I believe there is a 50's night. The theme nights are on casual nights since some wear the theme clothing to the dining room. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Chigirlcruzin said:

Perfect, thank you all! Suit will stay at home. And kiddos will have to deal with pants for a few hours lol. 

Kiddos don’t need to be uncomfortable on vacations. Even big kids are in shorts in the MDR on “Formal  Nights”. RCCL is slowly evolving to what the contemporary cruiser wants,,,, a vacation. Tuxes are dying like the dinosaurs.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When my son was younger he looked forward to wearing a suit and being as fancy a he could.  Even on non-formal nights, he would wear a shirt and tie to dinner.  Unfortunately those days are gone 🙂

 

At 12, he will wear dress pants and shirt/tie for formal nights.  On all other nights, he will wear dressy shorts and a casual button down shirt.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Judyrem said:

On July 7 HOTS, I saw quite a bit more "formal" wear than I had anticipated.   There were lots of big family/friend groups quite kitted out.

I had a linen top and pants and felt a little under dressed, but I am a widow with a ten year old granddaughter and who really cares what I wear.🤔

They were lovely to look at though.  We, my granddaughter and I, sat in the Bionic bar and watched people posing on the stairs.

We love people watching.🙂

I was on the Allure for a June 2 cruise this year. I was also surprised at how many people dressed up for the formal night. I did not see many tuxes, but did see suits quite a bit, and then shirts and ties and so on. Based on what I read on these boards, I expected to see much more casual clothes on the formal night. I am not sure what we read here on how casual everyone is reflects what is on all ships on all dates. I actually bought a long dress for this cruise and did not feel at all like the only one dressed up. Wear what you will enjoy wearing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Chigirlcruzin said:

Perfect, thank you all! Suit will stay at home. And kiddos will have to deal with pants for a few hours lol. 

My personal experience for formal night is that those who have traditional dining most will follow the dress code for the evening. We had anytime dining and were placed in traditional dining on the second formal night. Anytime dining 90% don’t follow the formal dress code. I wore shorts in the MDR every night except the 2 formal nights. Definitely leave the suit home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always wear a sports jacket with short sleeve dress shirt and no tie.  I usually only bring one sports jacket and wear it twice with different colored shirts.  No reason to bring a full suit or more than one jacket.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The  group of 12  high school graduates cross the hall , all had beautiful long dresses and of course they look stunning and I told them so.  LOTS of groups doing that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seeing the reviews and I think it also depends on the sailing area. If you are in Caribbean people don't seem to bother and Southampton departure people tend to dress up more than other places. I am sailing on Southampton departure this weekend so my family have packed with tux, dress. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do not agree- we often sail in the Caribbean and people do dress up on formal nights.  Of course, not all, but most do and look great! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, KansasK said:

I was on the Allure for a June 2 cruise this year. I was also surprised at how many people dressed up for the formal night. I did not see many tuxes, but did see suits quite a bit, and then shirts and ties and so on. Based on what I read on these boards, I expected to see much more casual clothes on the formal night. I am not sure what we read here on how casual everyone is reflects what is on all ships on all dates. I actually bought a long dress for this cruise and did not feel at all like the only one dressed up. Wear what you will enjoy wearing. 

 

Good Point as what we read here does not necessary reflect what to expect as the majority when it comes to dressing.

Cruise critic represents a small percentage of overall cruisers from my experience.

WE too were on Allure in April this year and I would easily say the majority of diners followed the recommended dress code.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Judyrem said:

The  group of 12  high school graduates cross the hall , all had beautiful long dresses and of course they look stunning and I told them so.  LOTS of groups doing that.

I also saw groups getting dressed up and taking pictures. A few times it wasn’t even formal night.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A with the Coral Expeditions Team
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...