Formal nights/smart casual nights

Some people dress up nightly.  Not just for chic/formal nights. My DH and I like to dress up- nightly- not in formal wear but nice attire.  Have sat next to  men wearing "wife beater" tee shirts in the evening also at the Martini bar.  Not an attractive look!

Edited by Cruise a holic

On 7/21/2019 at 2:26 AM, Ashland said:

Actually that's your choice, but they really don't have to.

22 hours ago, Dina7 said:

Children do not have to wear pants in mdr. They can wear nice shorts & a polo shirt. When you’re in the mdr you will see all kinds of dress & it’s definitely relaxed for kids. Why bother them with pants when it’s not necessary.

Same!  Our kiddo went straight to adventure ocean via the check-in they have right there in the MDR lobby.  I always dressed him in shorts, couldn't imagine sending him off for the evening in long pants.  

33 minutes ago, goneclear said:

Good Point as what we read here does not necessary reflect what to expect as the majority when it comes to dressing.

Cruise critic represents a small percentage of overall cruisers from my experience.

WE too were on Allure in April this year and I would easily say the majority of diners followed the recommended dress code.  

I think the ratio was 60/40  this cruise with people dressing up.  I just dressed😉 this time.

My husband used to wear a suit and I would wear a cocktail dress.

Edited by Judyrem

1 hour ago, Jmrosa1 said:

Anyone know of any theme nights on Adventure of the seas? Our first cruise and trying to figure out what and how to pack for my husband

If you mention the itinerary, someone might have recent experience.

Are last 2 cruises and Royal have been out a Cape Liberty, on the Adventure (7 Night) and Anthem (12 Night), & the hosting staff on these ships must be more strict than on others.  Allmost every night, except embarkation night, at My Time Dining we witness people being turned away because they were in shorts. Even the 2 nights we had dinner in the Solarium  Bistro people were asked to change out of shorts.There were no nights listed as being Smart Casual, just casual or formal. On the 2 formal nights men without button-down shirts were also turned away, though a few with Hawaiian shirts were evident.

Also if there were any themed nights none of the passengers were prepared to dress for them as we witnessed no large gatherings of people in any particular era, style, or color clothing on any night. Though a good portion of those that attended the Bolero dancefloor on any given evening did wear Latin style dance wear.

It will interesting in Oct and Dec to see if the Grandeur out of Baltimore is as hard core on the dress code.

22 minutes ago, maryred said:

at My Time Dining we witness people being turned away because they were in shorts.

I seriously doubt it was because of the shorts!

The have no "dress code" just a suggestion - so the staff has no right to turn anybody away!

1 minute ago, holiday-shrek said:

... so the staff has no right to turn anybody away!

The staff has a right to do anything they want with regard to turning people away.  However, they choose not to.

15 minutes ago, holiday-shrek said:

I seriously doubt it was because of the shorts!

The have no "dress code" just a suggestion - so the staff has no right to turn anybody away!

Nope heard staff say to the passengers at the hostess desk "No short allowed at diner" then pointed suggestions to either change to pants for males or capris/skirts for females or enjoy the offerings at the Windjammer. Did not see kids that were obviously under 10 turned away if the arrived with shorts on as long as the parents/guardians and teens dressed to code.

Edited by maryred
Spelling

Guest maddycat
2 hours ago, maryred said:

Are last 2 cruises and Royal have been out a Cape Liberty, on the Adventure (7 Night) and Anthem (12 Night), & the hosting staff on these ships must be more strict than on others.  Allmost every night, except embarkation night, at My Time Dining we witness people being turned away because they were in shorts. Even the 2 nights we had dinner in the Solarium  Bistro people were asked to change out of shorts.There were no nights listed as being Smart Casual, just casual or formal. On the 2 formal nights men without button-down shirts were also turned away, though a few with Hawaiian shirts were evident.

Also if there were any themed nights none of the passengers were prepared to dress for them as we witnessed no large gatherings of people in any particular era, style, or color clothing on any night. Though a good portion of those that attended the Bolero dancefloor on any given evening did wear Latin style dance wear.

It will interesting in Oct and Dec to see if the Grandeur out of Baltimore is as hard core on the dress code.

We were on the Anthem in May, MTD.  My husband either wore shorts or jeans every night to the dining room without any problems.  He was far from the only one who was dressed like that.

5 hours ago, maryred said:

I was on Anthem in June. This couldn’t be further from the truth for my sailing and we were seated in traditional dining on the second formal night because My Time dining was full.  I purposely wore a short sleeve shirt on the second formal night because I saw what worn on the first one. My son and his friend wore jeans. Sailed right in to be seated.

• Like 1

If we drive to the cruise port we may decide to dress up but if we are flying more than likely we won’t. I would just wear a skirt and top and my husband khakis and a polo on formal night. Dress in the way that you will feel comfortable. This is your vacation.

On 7/21/2019 at 7:15 AM, Cruise a holic said:

My DH and I dress and follow the code for Formal and smart casual. Many people do.  Yes, he does wear a tie and jacket- and I a cocktail dress.  The ship, especially at night is cool and dressing in a suit will be comfortable for your husband.  Enjoy

What ships have you been on? I honestly do not see folks dressed in formal attire on formal nights. In fact, are there any formal nights any more? The dress code has always been "suggested" and most folks do not dress formally. I have actually NEVER seen a tux anywhere on a ship on formal night. This is Royal Caribbean I'm speaking of.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, coffeebean said:

What ships have you been on? I honestly do not see folks dressed in formal attire on formal nights. In fact, are there any formal nights any more? The dress code has always been "suggested" and most folks do not dress formally. I have actually NEVER seen a tux anywhere on a ship on formal night. This is Royal Caribbean I'm speaking of.

My DH wears a tux on the ship.  A new styled one that is different then the older traditional models.  Trust me  many men and women do dress up.  Of course, not all.  

Not sure what ships you have sailed on.  

18 hours ago, maryred said:

On the 2 formal nights men without button-down shirts were also turned away,

I strongly doubt that.  Most don't even know the difference between button down and button up shirts.  If I was turned away from the dining room for not having a "button down" shirt my next stop would be at GS or the Diamond Concierge.  That's a weird flex from dining room staff if true. 

• Like 1

On 7/21/2019 at 8:49 PM, Iamcruzin said:

My personal experience for formal night is that those who have traditional dining most will follow the dress code for the evening. We had anytime dining and were placed in traditional dining on the second formal night. Anytime dining 90% don’t follow the formal dress code. I wore shorts in the MDR every night except the 2 formal nights. Definitely leave the suit home.

Definitely, after our recent med on VOTS, I will be leaving the suit behind and MIGHT just bring a jacket instead.

On 7/22/2019 at 1:27 PM, Iamcruzin said:

I also saw groups getting dressed up and taking pictures. A few times it wasn’t even formal night.

That will be us aboard Allure this October on our B2B.

There will be 10 of us and the wives are already planning what they hope to wear.

With the current trend of slim fit shorter length jackets I'm taking four tux' style jackets that weigh the same a two old fashioned jackets.

We don't care what others wear. We are just going to "partay" every night!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, coffeebean said:

I have done rccl every year for last 7 or more and always see some tux’s and traveled with tux every year for about 35 years ,last cruise on rccl was oasis in November.  But every cruise there seems to be less , lots of tux’s in diamond lounge last year .  I most likely will no longer wear a tux on cruises. Way more shorts then tux’s .

My last two Royal cruises in the last couple of years were on the Anthem and Harmony.

I’ve come to the conclusion that I’m not going to pay for any extra luggage fees.  So, I have a roll aboard and a backpack as luggage....none of it checked.

As such, I’ve welcomed the demise of the suit/tie/sports coats, etc trend.  While the food is good, I wouldn’t consider any of the MDRs to be fine dining, and certainly not something I’d wear a suit or jacket for.

Saw a couple of tuxs, a few more suits (still not many).  Most all were in pants/jeans...some shorts....for formal nights.  I believe that has been the case for the last several years.  Every cruise, it gets less and less “stuffy”, too.  

I welcome that.

• Like 1