Formal nights/smart casual nights

4 minutes ago, Esprit said:

Looking sharp in a slim fit tailored suit with a stunningly looking wife on my arm is deemed stuffy!😂

My days to fit in a slim fit suit are long gone. Maybe first couple of decades cruising, not last two decades.

We cruise often and always b2b.  And even after all the cruises we have been on we still dress up on Formal Nights.  We do so because there are people on the cruise that may sail once a year or once ever other year and to them it is a special night, to dress nice, and to take pictures as well.  So we respect that.  Most people use the excuse that they want to pack light and therefore don't pack clothes for formal nights, which is just a lot of stuff.  It takes no more effort nor does it take extra room in your bag.  What it is about are people that are just too lazy to go to the trouble, easier to just wear the same shorts, t-shirt, and ballcap you have has on all day, no expenditure of effort required.  I am not saying at all that everyone should wear a tux, but a pair of slacks or even kahki pants with a long sleeve isn't a big deal.  We have personally sat next to people who could care less about formal nights, us in our formal wear they in their "day clothes" and on one occasion we left the table because one gentlemen wore a tank top, shorts, ballcap, and sandals (no class at all).  The combined odor of the hat, armpits, and exposed feet was just too much, so we left.  This issue will not ever be enforced across the fleet because a big part of the quandary RCCL is in is that they don't want to make people made, so you get the anything goes, anything is ok response.  Same is true about kids in solarium.  I wish they would establish "rules" then actually enforce them, whether it be about dress, where you can smoke, kids in solarium, etc., but we know that won't happen. So the argument goes on and on and formal nights as we once knew them will go away.  I for one miss the old days where formal nights were really formal nights, classy, and something special about the cruise!

• Like 2

^^^^^^^^^

REALLY?

Look, I’m not going to get dressed up to make you feel good about getting dressed up.  I am not background fodder for your dress up fantasies.

A suite, a tie, dress shoes, dress shirt along with a lady’s gown do indeed take up a lot of room in a suitcase.  I’m not adding another piece of luggage to take those things just so you can see others dressed up like you.

And, I’m lazy (as you say)?  How precocious and demeaning of you to insinuate that. 

Wear what you want.  We don’t care.  Leave my table if we’re seated together.....even better!

I hope we never sail together given the sort of pretentiousness you exhibit.

Edited by graphicguy
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, graphicguy said:

^^^^^^^^^

REALLY?

Look, I’m not going to get dressed up to make you feel good about getting dressed up.  I am not background fodder for your dress up fantasies.

A suite, a tie, dress shoes, dress shirt along with a lady’s gown do indeed take up a lot of room in a suitcase.  I’m not adding another piece of luggage to take those things just so you can see others dressed up like you.

And, I’m lazy (as you say)?  How precocious and demeaning of you to insinuate that. 

Wear what you want.  We don’t care.  Leave my table if we’re seated together.....even better!

I hope we never sail together given the sort of pretentiousness you exhibit.

Your response says it all... NO CLASS