Super summer week on Symphony - my trip report.

Just got off Symphony this morning.    Sitting in FLL so I figured I would get a start on my trip report.  

I always start with a three word summary, so here it goes...

— The ship....Super Duper shape

— The Cabin....deck 14 noisy

— The Service....mostly top shelf

—.The food....good to great

— The shows....Super fantabulously awesome

— St. Kitts....awesome excursion day

— St. Thomas....lazy day walking

— CoCo Cay....glorious day relaxing

At little background to set the stage.   Mama and I are becoming seasoned cruisers.   Averaging two a year right now. Last time out was on Allure in February. We went on this cruise with my niece’s in laws and their extended family.    Great people but this was not my trip to take the lead in planning, so we were ready for some variation to our norm.   First and foremost, we have never sailed in the summer.  We usually sail in the winter months so we can have a laugh at the folks that are still in the Pennsylvania snow.  We do like the bigger ships, having been on Harmony and Allure our last two times out.   Second, we did plan a full day relaxing in Ft. Lauderdale before the cruise.    Tried a new hotel this time and didn’t have good luck there.   Finally, we tend towards port intensive trips but this one had 4 sea days, including day one.   

So I’ll hit post here and follow up in the next post with a summary of our trip to Ft. Lauderdale and our day “relaxing”. 

3BD49B99-F58E-44AA-9C5A-7D3A28B83BE2.jpeg

• Like 3

Pre cruise:  Will we ever fly? and Great day in Ft. Lauderdale...so so hotel.

Sailing day was July 13.   We decided to fly down early and get a relaxing day in Ft. Lauderdale.   Flight was scheduled for 7:30pm on the 11th.   On our way to Baltimore to catch the flight we got a text from Southwest that the flight had been cancelled.   UGH!.    We called Southwest and our only options were a connection thru New Orleans or a connection thru Chicago.   Both unacceptable.   Finally found a flight direct from BWI to FLL that left at 10:25pm.    Re booked on that and then got a message the flight was delayed to 11:25pm.    Later got a message that it was delayed to 1:00am.   After going to a movie to kill time, we got another message that the flight was once again ON TIME !!.    What a roller coaster.    We finally got to FLL at 1:30am and our hotel, the Bahia Mar, at 2:00am

The Bahia Mar was supposed to be a great beachside hotel.   Turns out there are two parts to the hotel....the luxurious tower, and a second 3 story building that is a glorified Motel 6.    We got put into the latter.    Not so bad that we left, but not a good room, especially for the price.     We usually stay at the Renaissance Cruiseport, and next time, we will return there.    Ft. Lauderdale Beach was fun.   The sand is tough to walk in, but they have a very nice paved boardwalk.    We strolled it for a couple hours, saw a wedding on the beach, and all kinds of humanity.    Dinner was at Bo's Beach restaurant.    Very nice open air seating.   We had 9 of our group of 11 there.   Then to bed early as cruise day would be upon us in the morning.

Next post......It's hard to get there, 1st Blue drink, and OMG Hairspray !

Ma & Pa on Ft. Lauderdale beach

Lauderdale 1.jpg

Had my toes in the water and sea turtles in the sand !

Lauderdale 2.jpg

Beautiful view from Bo's Beach Restaurant

Lauderdale 3.jpg

Edited by zdad59
  • Like 1

We also were on the July 13-20 sailing!!

We made it to Baltimore and Fort Lauderdale on the 11th, arriving at 11:30am! We took an Uber to Hollywood Beach and stayed 2 nights at the Marriott. 

Loved the Symphony of the Seas, our first mega ship!!

IT's CRUISE DAY !!    A great day 1...once we got there !

We got up early, eager to leave the Motel 6 section of the Bahia Mar.   We met my niece and her hubby for an UBER XL ride to Terminal A in Miami.    The UBER XL fare was $87....~$22ea for door to door service.   Our ride was an Infiniti QX60, a very comfortable ride for the 4 of us and all our luggage.   The ride down was uneventful.   We did hit heavy traffic as we neared Miami but our driver got off 95 early and went thru downtown and actually got us there before others that left at the same time.    As we got to the terminal around 10:30 though, the one design flaw of Terminal A reared its head.   The loop to get into the terminal is a driving nightmare.   Many people disembarking that are trying to get transportation,  crew trying to get out for the day, and people trying to get to the ship all meet at one choke point.   Took our driver a good 15 minutes to go a short distance to get us to a place we could get us and our luggage out.  

Once out of the UBER good things started.     A porter met us immediately and took our luggage.   We were able to walk straight into the terminal and up the escalator.   Took less than 2 minutes to get thru check in and security screening.   Terminal A (excluding the drive in loop) is perfectly designed for these big ships.   Been thru twice now and its been easy peasy both times.   We did have about a 15 minute wait until the ship was ready to board, but once open we were right on and headed to the Solarium Bar.

At the Solarium Bar we met my new best friend for the week...Samuel the Bartender.     He was a more senior bartender, wearing a white shite and epaulets.    He made our traditional first drink, a Blue Hawaiian, exactly how we like it.  YUMMY.    Once we had our first drink, we went into the Solarium Bistro for a very nice lunch.   Quiet, tasty, and not the Windjammer.    After lunch we took a stroll until our rooms were ready at 1.

Ours was an ocean view balcony room on deck 14 aft.   14672.    A nice room, bed near the balcony.    We felt there wasn't as much storage as on Allure and Harmony, but it was fine.   We would find later that the cabin location wasn't the best.    Deck 14 is just below the pool deck and out room was right under the ice cream machine just outside El Loco Fresh.   Late at night it was mostly quiet but until the kids on board settled down you could hear feet running around.

Dinner was in the Main Dining Room.    We met our waiter Raj, and Assistant Waiter Janita.    In the end, they were probably the best serving team we've ever had.   Attentive, they worked very well together, and they were quite pleasant.   Later in the thread, I'll give a run down of hits and misses in the food category.    Mostly hits, with a miss or two.   Overall, we were pleased with the food quality and service.

After dinner, we made our way to the theater for our first show.....Hairspray.   Mama and I love Hairspray, having seen it on Broadway and watching it frequently on DVD at home.   Lets just say...…..THIS WAS THE BEST LIVE VERSION OF HAIRSPRAY WE HAVE EVER SEEN.     The musicality, the staging, the dancing...everything was just top notch.   There was even a mid show standing ovation after one epic song (if you know the show, you know which song).    Just not enough words to say how good this show was.  Later I'll discuss an impromptu backstage tour we got because of my nieces connections.

After a nightcap, we called it a night.   Great first day.

NEXT:   A couple of relaxing days at sea.

The Promenade all dressed up to welcome us

IMG_1826.JPG

Samuel, the bartender.   A great mate.

IMG_1828.JPG

Our customary 1st drink !

IMG_1829.JPG

Sailing away

IMG_1831.JPG

Mama enjoying the view from the fly bridge.

IMG_1834.JPG

Hairspray Main Stage

IMG_1840.JPG

A close up from our behind the scenes tour.

IMG_1867.JPG

IMG_1827.JPG

Edited by zdad59
  • Like 2

Days 2 & 3....casual time at Sea with a great tour.   Ma & Pa dress up

Days 2 & 3 we very casual.    Slept in a little.   Spent time each day in the Solarium having summer drinks and reading.   Did a few fun things.....

• Saw the Aqua Show, Hiro on day 2.    It was good.  Mama liked it more than me.    I love the guys in the slack lines.   We sit towards the back.   The most fun was watching people scatter when a brief rainstorm passed over the ship.   People run funny.
  • Got dressed up for Formal night for the first time in a long time.  The matriarch of the group chose black & white with touches of red as the style.    I overachieved.
  • Got a great private behind the scenes tour of Hairspray.   My niece knows a guy who knows a guy.   We got the tour by the lead rigger for the show, who by chance grew up in Pittsburgh, my home town.   We also had the chance to meet the actor that played Little Inez.   She plays a 12 year old in the show but she is actually 27.    Also got to try on Edna's shoes.    The actor that plays Edna is 6'5" tall and wear a size 16 EEE.
  • Saw the Ice show, 1977, on night 3.   Always a good show.   The 48 drones that opened the show were very cool.

Coming up.....A GREAT excursion in St. Kitts.   Scuba, catamaran, and drunk white people dancing.

I went with ALOT of red !

IMG_1853.JPG

The beginnings of our backstage tour

IMG_1862.JPG

The youngster in our group with some Ultra Clutch

IMG_1866.JPG

Edna's pump next to my size 12 boat shoe.

IMG_1869.JPG

Tracey's wigs  (sorry, that's not her real hair)

IMG_1871.JPG

Some skating action

IMG_1891.JPG

There's a theme here...

IMG_1902.JPG

The bad guy !

IMG_1915.JPG

Edited by zdad59
  • Like 2

Day 4......Great Excursion in St.Kitts

Day 4 was our first stop, St. Kitts.  We had been there before and had done Thenford Gray's Grand Island Tour (it was great by the way), so this time we took to the water with my niece and her husband.    We took the Fant-a-sea catamaran and snorkel trip.    A very good trip.   The boat was a good sized cat, with plenty of room for the people they had on board.   Took about an hour or so to get to the snorkel sight.    I, myself, am not big on snorkeling.   Mama, niece, and nephew in law, took to the water and said it was a very good snorkeling spot.    I did venture out for a grand total of 5 minutes, but at least I can say I snorkeled.   Once everyone was back on board, they served a refreshing lunch, a few salads, a chicken & pasta dish, and with snorkeling complete, the rum punch began to flow.   From the snorkeling locale, we sailed to a beach on Nevis, where they let us off for about 90 minutes of beach time.    A very nice beach.  Walkable and very nice to swim in.   Once we  were picked up, we let out the sails for a 90 minute cruise back to the St. Kitts port.   That ride back was 90 minutes of drunk white people dancing,    It was quite a sight.  I enjoyed the hell out of watching it.   I was just sober enough to not participate.

That evening, we had a nice dinner in the MDR.   They had my favorite appetizer that night...Poblano Pepper soup.   I had the waiter bring mine in a Caesar salad bowl.   SO YUMMY.

That night was the comedy show.    One very good comedian.   One so so one.   Found out this night that the Solarium Bar closed nightly at 9pm.    I was bummed.   It was my favorite hangout.   SO our late night drinks were at the Trellis Bar in Central Park.   A very peaceful place, especially when the classical guitarist is playing.

Next:   Strolling through St, Thomas, and my food review.

Most nights ended with a good cigar on deck 15.   A session we called "Solving the World's Problems.

IMG_1884.JPG

Ma & Pa on the catamaran.    On of my favorite pics.

IMG_1932.JPG

I always look bigger and stronger when I can hide my belly below the water line.

IMG_1933.JPG

Edited by zdad59
  • Like 3

On 7/20/2019 at 6:50 PM, zdad59 said:

Pre cruise:  Will we ever fly? and Great day in Ft. Lauderdale...so so hotel.

Sailing day was July 13.   We decided to fly down early and get a relaxing day in Ft. Lauderdale.   Flight was scheduled for 7:30pm on the 11th.   On our way to Baltimore to catch the flight we got a text from Southwest that the flight had been cancelled.   UGH!.    We called Southwest and our only options were a connection thru New Orleans or a connection thru Chicago.   Both unacceptable.   Finally found a flight direct from BWI to FLL that left at 10:25pm.    Re booked on that and then got a message the flight was delayed to 11:25pm.    Later got a message that it was delayed to 1:00am.   After going to a movie to kill time, we got another message that the flight was once again ON TIME !!.    What a roller coaster.    We finally got to FLL at 1:30am and our hotel, the Bahia Mar, at 2:00am

The Bahia Mar was supposed to be a great beachside hotel.   Turns out there are two parts to the hotel....the luxurious tower, and a second 3 story building that is a glorified Motel 6.    We got put into the latter.    Not so bad that we left, but not a good room, especially for the price.     We usually stay at the Renaissance Cruiseport, and next time, we will return there.    Ft. Lauderdale Beach was fun.   The sand is tough to walk in, but they have a very nice paved boardwalk.    We strolled it for a couple hours, saw a wedding on the beach, and all kinds of humanity.    Dinner was at Bo's Beach restaurant.    Very nice open air seating.   We had 9 of our group of 11 there.   Then to bed early as cruise day would be upon us in the morning.

Next post......It's hard to get there, 1st Blue drink, and OMG Hairspray !

Ma & Pa on Ft. Lauderdale beach

Lauderdale 1.jpg

Had my toes in the water and sea turtles in the sand !

Lauderdale 2.jpg

Beautiful view from Bo's Beach Restaurant

Lauderdale 3.jpg

Shame on SW they owe you a refund for the stress.. Do a Charge back for your flight. Other than that I love your review 

Edited by travelplus

11 hours ago, Tess2326 said:

thank you for your feed back and wow cocktails  I try order it on October.

Did you paid both deluxe drinking package?  Is it worthing?

It depends.    If you like bottled water and specialty coffees too, then its usually an easy yes.    Bottled water runs $3.  Specialty coffees run $5-$7.    So a few bottles of water a day, a specialty coffee in the morning or after dinner, and 3-4 drinks throughout the day...…….and you're there.   Also add that you can try new things without the worry of the cost.    You don't like it?   Put it down and get something else.    But in the end its all about your fluid consumption.    

11 hours ago, travelplus said:

Shame on SW they owe you a refund for the stress.. Do a Charge back for your flight. Other than that I love your review 

That is HORRIBLE advice.

You can't initiate a chargeback on your credit card just because you didn't get what you wanted when you wanted it.  

Now, if they took his money for the flight and then refused to fly him anywhere, that would warrant a chargeback.  But just because you had "some stress" over a delayed flight does NOT mean you get all your money back.

What the heck is wrong with people these days????

• Like 2

20 hours ago, zdad59 said:

That evening, we had a nice dinner in the MDR.   They had my favorite appetizer that night...Poblano Pepper soup.   I had the waiter bring mine in a Caesar salad bowl.   SO YUMMY.

YES!

That Roasted Poblano Pepper Soup is AMAZING!!!!  

I'm crossing all my fingers and toes that they'll offer it on Majesty next month!

11 hours ago, brillohead said:

That is HORRIBLE advice.

You can't initiate a chargeback on your credit card just because you didn't get what you wanted when you wanted it.  

Now, if they took his money for the flight and then refused to fly him anywhere, that would warrant a chargeback.  But just because you had "some stress" over a delayed flight does NOT mean you get all your money back.

What the heck is wrong with people these days????

With all due respect. I believe that this is very good advice that I gave and nothing is wrong with me. Airlines like Southwest with their lack of communication going ftom a cancelled flight to one with a connection from delayed to On time to arriving in the middle of the  night loosing part of your hotel is not the service the OP paid for especially being flown to Chicago or New Orleans totally opposite directions. Going from a nonstop to a one stop. If SW cancelled the flight to combine with flights due to light loads its beyond the OP's control. Yes delays happen and if SW endorsed tickets to other airlines in situations like this or proactively offered meal or travel vouchers for mechanical delays. A credit card company would work with SW to at least give you a free one way ticket plus lst time at your hotel. Christopher Elliott advises people to write to the airlines nes and deal with your credit card protection rights. 

I believe that you don't travel as  often  as I do or don't fight for your rights. Part of my job is consumer travel Advocacy. If the airline changed the contract for reasons other than weather due to poor planning or to benefit them then feed me, pay me for my lost sleep and time. Sorry it just does not work where Southwest can shuffle me around to a new flight that I was expecting to be nonstop whether mechanical or combining flights if I arrive over 3 hours late I can ask for a refund if the one way fare cback to my credit card plus either a Travel voucher or check plus compensation for my lost hotel night and meals 

You are welcome to your own opinions but please don't say what is wrong with people. 

Edited by travelplus

6 hours ago, travelplus said:

With all due respect. I believe that this is very good advice that I gave and nothing is wrong with me. Airlines like Southwest with their lack of communication going ftom a cancelled flight to one with a connection from delayed to On time to arriving in the middle of the  night loosing part of your hotel is not the service the OP paid for especially being flown to Chicago or New Orleans totally opposite directions. Going from a nonstop to a one stop. If SW cancelled the flight to combine with flights due to light loads its beyond the OP's control. Yes delays happen and if SW endorsed tickets to other airlines in situations like this or proactively offered meal or travel vouchers for mechanical delays. A credit card company would work with SW to at least give you a free one way ticket plus lst time at your hotel. Christopher Elliott advises people to write to the airlines nes and deal with your credit card protection rights. 

I believe that you don't travel as  often  as I do or don't fight for your rights. Part of my job is consumer travel Advocacy. If the airline changed the contract for reasons other than weather due to poor planning or to benefit them then feed me, pay me for my lost sleep and time. Sorry it just does not work where Southwest can shuffle me around to a new flight that I was expecting to be nonstop whether mechanical or combining flights if I arrive over 3 hours late I can ask for a refund if the one way fare cback to my credit card plus either a Travel voucher or check plus compensation for my lost hotel night and meals 

You are welcome to your own opinions but please don't say what is wrong with people. 

Don't even START to quote Christopher Elliot with regard to your "advice".  The very first thing Chris says is to NOT initiate a chargeback as your first resort.  

He also says that you need to read your contract, which if you did, you'd know that all an airline is required to do in the event of a cancelled flight is either to refund your ticket, or accommodate you on the next available flight.  

When you buy a plane ticket, there is NO guarantee that they will get you to your destination at a particular time... just that they WILL get you there eventually.   If you really have ANY experience with travel consumer advocacy, you'd know this already.  

Your credit card company is not going to negotiate a free flight from Southwest or any other airline for you.  If you initiate a chargeback for a flight that was late but that you actually did take, your credit card company is going to deny the claim without even researching it, because they know that you literally have no claim in that case.

Since you want to use Chris Elliott as your guru, let's see exactly what he says about flight delays:

As disheartening as it may be, the answer is: If you’re flying domestically, the airline likely owes you nothing.

Zilch.

And how about what the Department of Transportation has to say on the subject?  

No-airline-is-required-to-give-you-money-in-a-US-domestic-flight-delay.jpg.81e8a5f1e3d513e35a8a05f8b169c76f.jpg

So, your claim that you are a travel consumer advocate seems especially dubious, since you don't even know this most basic of airfare rules.  

• Like 3