Pay for cruise, no credit

riceowl

We were scheduled to sail on Koningsdam on July 29.  For the first time I had mo insurance.  Wouldn’t you know I fell and ended up in the hospital for a very long stay with skin graft. No cruise for us so we are out $8300+.  HAL won’t budge and then won’t even give us credit for the cruise.  They sell a Neptune Suite twice and we get nothing but. $115 back in taxes. I say unfair. 

Anne Baillio 

RiceOwl

I am sorry to hear of your fall.  I hope your injury is healing.

Did you try the credit card company you made the booking with?  You may have some options there with regard to trip insurance.  

As far as HAL being “unfair”, I think you already know you rolled the dice and lost so crying foul now is playground talk.  Sorry.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Here we go again. Translation:

I"I decided to not buy travel insurance, but to self insure by default. Now I need to use my "self insured" plan to absorb the cost of a cruise that must be canceled.

I have to live with the consequences of my actions and  it is HAL's fault because that they follow their cancellation policy that was provided at the time of booking and also was available for review before booking.

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

Here we go again. Translation:

I"I decided to not buy travel insurance, but to self insure by default. Now I need to use my "self insured" plan to absorb the cost of a cruise that must be canceled.

I have to live with the consequences of my actions and  it is HAL's fault because that they follow their cancellation policy that was provided at the time of booking and also was available for review before booking.

Amen. Knew the risk, took the risk, lost the gamble. Now it is HAL's fault for all of this. Personal responsibility? Never heard of it...

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I am sorry to hear about your fall and hope you heal soon.  

It isn’t fair to blame HAL as it was your choice not to buy insurance.  That’s a lot of money to decide not to insure.  Obviously you’ve bought it on other trips so although I feel bad for you it was a choice you made. 

• Like 5

How awful for you  - hope you are healing and able to travel again soon.

Unfortunately, the terms of the purchase are clear.  If you've purchase insurance before, not sure what the motivation was to forego it this time.  It looks like from your posts that you purchased this cruise within the past six weeks so full payment would have been due at the time you booked, but I know that HAL still offers the insurance at that time - husband and I booked our Westerdam cruise a few years ago within six weeks of sailing and I was easily able to add that coverage at the time I booked.

To get the cruise credit one has to actually be on board the ship and take the cruise, so unfortunately no credit either.

• Like 2

You wont get any sympathy here.  Most HAL posters think the rules should be followed (but of course, the cruise lines write the rules).  HAL could create a lot of goodwill by giving that $8,000 as a credit for a future cruise.  Instead, they create hostility and sadness.  I think it is time to consider a government owned cruise line!

Empathize with you over your injury.  Whether going on a trip or not, breaking a bone is never an option any sane person would choose.  I hope you are on the road to recovery.

As for not buying travel insurance, it's a mistake, a costly one that you'll have to live with unfortunately.  Saying that HAL is somehow responsible for the lost cash probably won't garner you many supporters on any of these boards.  All of us understand a contract is a contract.  The contract clearly states the penalty for a cancelled booking regardless of the reason.  Travel insurance is a small price to pay for the benefit it provides if a passenger must cancel a cruise.  As the old ad used to say for another product: "Never leave home without it."

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, ChinaShrek said:

I think it is time to consider a government owned cruise line!

There are many countries that have a government owned cruise line.

It is usually called a navy and the terms and conditions for those cruises are fairly rigid.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 5

28 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

There are many countries that have a government owned cruise line.

It is usually called a navy and the terms and conditions for those cruises are fairly rigid.

And the good thing is ... that everyone adheres to the prescribed dress code.  :classic_biggrin: 

• Like 5
  • Haha 10

2 hours ago, riceowl said:

I say unfair. 

What's 'unfair' is you posting that HAL has been 'unfair' to you.
You agreed, by not purchasing insurance, that you would eat the loss if you couldn't take the cruise. And now you call it 'unfair' that HAL won't change the agreement.

• Like 8

17 minutes ago, RuthC said:

What's 'unfair' is you posting that HAL has been 'unfair' to you.
You agreed, by not purchasing insurance, that you would eat the loss if you couldn't take the cruise. And now you call it 'unfair' that HAL won't change the agreement.

I don’t blame HAL for not refunding my money.  Not having insurance (first time ever) was my fault BUT they should credit me with the cruise since I paid fully for it and canceled in time for them to sell it again.  That was my point 

4 minutes ago, riceowl said:

I don’t blame HAL for not refunding my money.  Not having insurance (first time ever) was my fault BUT they should credit me with the cruise since I paid fully for it and canceled in time for them to sell it again.  That was my point 

I wish it worked that way but it doesn't.

Roz

3 minutes ago, riceowl said:

As in Mariner day credits?  You need to be on board to receive the credits, unfortunately.

If that was your concern, then the Mariner’s Society would be the appropriate department to contact IMO, however, I am certain their answer would be the same as the one I gave you.

7 minutes ago, riceowl said:

BUT they should credit me with the cruise since I paid fully for it and canceled in time for them to sell it again.

So you DO want HAL to change the contract YOU agreed to. That is 'unfair', but on your part---not HAL's.
YOU are the one who agreed to take the financial loss if you couldn't take the cruise. So, time to live up to your end of the agreement.

• Like 6

When we were young and invincible, we never bought insurance. But that was when we were in our 20's and 30's, a long time ago. Now well into our 60's, we would never book a non-refundable trip without trip insurance. 

Case in point, a few months ago I was pulling out some dead bushes in the garden, lost my balance, fell and broke 2 ribs. I had to sleep in my recliner for almost 8 weeks. No way I could have slept in a bed on a cruise. And it still hurts at night.

Never saw it coming, just one of those stupid things that happen in the blink of an eye.
Just bought insurance for a 3 week cruise and land stay for next year. Cost of trip: probably around ~7K. Cost of insurance (third party broker) $326, for both of us.
Buy the insurance. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, riceowl said:

and canceled in time for them to sell it again.

Maybe, and maybe not.  If word got around that HAL (or any cruise line) gave refunds or future cruise  credits to people who didn't buy insurance and couldn't go, soon no one one would buy insurance.

I'm sorry you were hurt and lost some money, but I'm with HAL 100% on this one.

Edited by catl331
  • Like 5

19 minutes ago, riceowl said:

NO they shouldn't.  It is in the contract and policies that they do NOT issue cruise credit or refund, if not fully insured 'for any reason'.   Unfortunately, you do not have a point to be made.  You have an opinion and hurt feelings, but not a valid point of view. 

• Like 5

I think OP's issue here is the lack of credit and I five some symphony there but those are the  rules and they were probably designed for other situations.  I expect if credit was given for cruises not sailed people would be booking 1 day cruises without showing up to get to the next mariner level before a cruise and it could easily start family fights about who paid for a cruise.  It's unfortunate but I don't know of any loyalty program for travel not completed.

Roy

I want to thank OP for bringing up this topic.  We are 20 pts. shy of 5*, and we have always had insurance.  But I have been thinking of foregoing it in December for our 22-day SA/Antarctica.  This post has reminded me of why that would have been a very bad idea.  Thank you, OP.  

• Like 2