Pre-cruise hotel to ship transfer

aledomom

I searched and couldn't find an answer to this so please forgive me if this topic has been beat to death!

We are arriving in Amsterdam 2 days prior to our cruise departure.  We have paid HAL for all transfers and pre-cruise accommodations.  I asked our PCC this question and he didn't know the answer.  On Sunday, cruise departure day, what time can we anticipate being transferred to the ship from the hotel?  When we did Alaska last year we were on the train from Seward and arrived really late in the day to the port.  Have never done a hotel to ship transfer and was curious what that timing might look like.

TIA!

Edited by aledomom

7 minutes ago, Alberta Quilter said:

I believe HAL books the Movenpick which is next door to the cruise terminal.  OP, I think you will be able to walk over.  

I took a river cruise out of Amsterdam last year and saw the Movenpick.  Apparently HAL uses the same dock as the river boats.  To the OP, as Alberta Quilter just said, you will be able to walk to the ship.  You'll also be within walking distance of Centraal Station.  Right near Centraal Station are a couple of places to take canal cruises.  They are well worth it and only take an hour or so.  

Roz

2 hours ago, aledomom said:

what time can we anticipate being transferred to the ship from the hotel?  When we did Alaska last year we were on the train from Seward  and arrived really late in the day to the port.  

What time were you picked up at the hotel before the train ride, 9 to 11 AM?  I would say it will be about the same in Amsterdam, and that you arrived late at the ship because of the length of the trip.

Edited by catl331

After I posted this I looked on google maps and saw just how close the terminal is to the hotel! I need to look at my paperwork hopefully we didn't pay too much for that transfer.  LOL!  Yes, it is the Movenpick Hotel.  

@Roz we have been looking into canal cruises.  Do you have any other information you could provide so we could find the ones you are referring to?

35 minutes ago, aledomom said:

After I posted this I looked on google maps and saw just how close the terminal is to the hotel! I need to look at my paperwork hopefully we didn't pay too much for that transfer.  LOL!  Yes, it is the Movenpick Hotel.  

@Roz we have been looking into canal cruises.  Do you have any other information you could provide so we could find the ones you are referring to?

I did the Lovers Canal Cruise.  They have a couple of different options.  I did the basic daytime 1-hr. cruise:

https://www.lovers.nl/

I picked this company because they were easy to get to, next to Centraal Station, and they were one of the included tours on my Holland Pass:

https://hollandpass.com/

Since I was only there a day and a half before the cruise, I bought the Small pass.  Well worth it, IMO.  I picked it up at a store at Schipol Airport.

Roz

@Roz Thank you so much for this information.  We arrive Friday morning and depart on the cruise Sunday.  So we don't have a lot of time like you.  We want to see as much as we can.  Trying to balance how much we can realistically do on Friday dealing with jet lag and how much we can possibly fit in on Saturday.  We have already bought our tickets to the Anne Frank House.

3 minutes ago, aledomom said:

@Roz Thank you so much for this information.  We arrive Friday morning and depart on the cruise Sunday.  So we don't have a lot of time like you.  We want to see as much as we can.  Trying to balance how much we can realistically do on Friday dealing with jet lag and how much we can possibly fit in on Saturday.  We have already bought our tickets to the Anne Frank House.

I fell in love ❤️ with Amsterdam, and can't wait to go back for a land trip of a week or more.  You may want to check out Rick Steve's Amsterdam episode for a good overview of the city:

https://www.ricksteves.com/watch-read-listen/video/tv-show/season-8/amsterdam

The first night met a couple I contacted via Cruise Critic for an Indonesian Rijstaffel (rice table).  It was wonderful.  I'm sure your hotel concierge can recommend one nearby.  

Roz

Just double check that you are leaving from the cruise terminal next to the Movenpick (Passenger Terminal Amsterdam). Our boarding passes show that on our cruise we leave from the VCK Waterland terminal, Elbaweg 10, 1044 AD Amsterdam. We disembark at the PTA terminal. That is for the Sunday, 25 August sailing of the Nieuw Statendam, returning Sunday, 8 September. 

According to Google Maps, it's a 16 minute cab ride from the PTA, and is to the northwest. I've never been to Amsterdam, so I can't comment on what it is near. It seems to be an industrial area, because Google maps wouldn't give me a public transportation option. Looks like we'll be taking a taxi from our hotel.

image.thumb.png.270cf9e77e673b486ed8aa3febc589bc.png

Definitely an industrial port, and they recommend passengers not drive there as there are no parking facilities.  The only parking is valet parking.  I was hoping since HAL is putting you up at the Movenpick that you would be leaving from the PTA terminal.  Whatever you're paying for the transfer is worth it, IMO, because this is not an easy place to get to, especially for tourists.

Roz

@emp We are actually on the cruise departing on September 8.  So you said you are disembarking from PTA according to your documents?  So that is actually the cruise terminal close to the Movenpick?

My husband is hoping that while PTA is right there this means they will handle our luggage from the hotel onto the ship and we just won't have to mess with it since we paid for the transfer.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, aledomom said:

@emp We are actually on the cruise departing on September 8.  So you said you are disembarking from PTA according to your documents?  So that is actually the cruise terminal close to the Movenpick?

My husband is hoping that while PTA is right there this means they will handle our luggage from the hotel onto the ship and we just won't have to mess with it since we paid for the transfer.

We are on this cruise too.  On reading this thread, I double-checked our documents and see that we board at the Passenger Terminal Amsterdam -- whew -- we are also booked at the Movenpick. I would assume that HAL will handle all your luggage to the ship for you 🙂  

aledomom Yes, it says we disembark at the PTA on Sunday, 8 September. The PTA is next to the Movenpick.

I'm not familiar with cruising out of Amsterdam, so I don't know if that automatically means that you will embark from the PTA.

I was made aware that we will embark at the VCK Waterland terminal on the roll call for our cruise. Some cruisers received a notification that we were embarking at the VCK Waterland terminal from their TA. That was confirmed when I printed out our boarding passes.

Hope you have a great cruise!

Mike

• Like 1

I understand from other posters on the HAL board that you have the hotel-ship transfer  included if you purchased the Movenpick as a pre-cruise stay through HAL--they will pick up your luggage at your hotel room door around 8AM (or earlier or later?) and transfer it to the ship. You will have to carry your own carry-on bags with you. I'll try to remember to report back in three weeks....

1 hour ago, aledomom said:

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

I would assume that HAL will handle all your luggage to the ship for you 🙂  

Yes, they will handle the luggage you put out for them.  I think it was around 8:00 am the last time I was there.   You'll get a letter when you check in telling you the procedure for the next day.   In the letter they said we were free to walk next door to the cruise terminal when we were ready, but suggested waiting until 10:00 - 10:30 am.  When I did that there were long lines, but they moved very quickly.

One strange thing they did was they had us verify our luggage in the holding area at the hotel before we walked over.  This was after they had collected it from the hallway earlier.  The holding area was part of a garage/loading area for the cruise port.  

15 minutes ago, aledomom said:

@Cruising-along I didn't even think about checking out documents.  I'm a dope.  I haven't printed them yet but I could have signed on a looked.  

No you aren't a dope 🙂  I didn't check them either until I saw this thread.  

We'll be arriving at Movenpick on the 6th of Sept., really looking forward to this! 

On 7/21/2019 at 10:29 AM, CruiserBruce said:

They will tell you in the days leading up to the cruise. But it will probably be something like 10 or 11am.

^^^      Yes,  that

Which hotel is   HAL using in Amsterdam?

36 minutes ago, sail7seas said:

^^^      Yes,  that

Which hotel is   HAL using in Amsterdam?

They are using the Movenpick and one other - the Ambassador?   Or something like that.