Are people really paying those prices?

ak1004

Suite prices on 11 NIGHT ITALY, MALTA & BEST OF GREECE on the Edge:

image.thumb.png.e776d19271127311d807e8978dcd19c7.png

Are people really willing to pay those prices?? 

On Oceania the most expensive suite (2,000 sqft) is typically less than $20k CAD on 11 night cruise. Even Regent is much less expensive, and their prices include business class flights and everything else. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Ive never checked Suite prices and probably never will but I have a feeling that people with the funds to afford them don’t throw it away and they have their reasons and have done comparisons. And since Edge only has 2 each of these types and for the cruise you are referencing (I think) only one of each type is currently available, the answer the specific question, yes someone(s) are paying that, maybe not in CN but in something negotiable. 

Den

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

Ive never checked Suite prices and probably never will but I have a feeling that people with the funds to afford them don’t throw it away and they have their reasons and have done comparisons. And since Edge only has 2 each of these types and for the cruise you are referencing (I think) only one of each type is currently available, the answer the specific question, yes someone(s) are paying that, maybe not in CN but in something negotiable. 

Den

Well, I'm sure if someone is willing to pay those prices (which is for an iconic suite would be more than 99% of the world population makes in a whole year), they have their reasons. I'm just curious to know them. After all, with all due respect to Celebrity, it is still a mass market line, and even with all suite perks, you cannot really compare it to luxury lines like Regent, Crystal, Oceania etc. On those lines you can get a similar size suite for less than half price.

• Like 2

Good grief. Anyone paying those prices must really like cruising versus the other options out there to see the world.

Just completed a 3 week tour of Austria, Switzerland, then Paris, Hamburg and a 9 day TA home on the QM2 in the Grills.

The entire trip was only $15,000 Cdn for 2, say $10,000 US.

And did I see the greatest geography, cities, history, people, local food, local animals etc for those funds!

After a combination bus tour, private tour etc - cruising has lost its appeal

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Cruising TBD said:

Good grief. Anyone paying those prices must really like cruising versus the other options out there to see the world.

Just completed a 3 week tour of Austria, Switzerland, then Paris, Hamburg and a 9 day TA home on the QM2 in the Grills.

The entire trip was only $15,000 Cdn for 2, say $10,000 US.

And did I see the greatest geography, cities, history, people, local food, local animals etc for those funds!

After a combination bus tour, private tour etc - cruising has lost its appeal

Well, you cannot really compare suite prices on the cruise to land prices - I assume you did not stay in a 2,000 sqft hotel suites? What is you compared those prices to a 3 week cruise in a "normal" cabin? You can do a 3 week cruise for about $4k CAD pps, or $8k CAD total.

But I agree that you see more on a land tour, but the downsize is packing/unpacking and many hours on bus/train.

2 minutes ago, grandgeezer said:

If it comes with a drink package, it's well worth it. That seems to be the driving force now, not destination, ship, or food.

Agree..

But at ~$60k CAD pps, those will be pretty expensive drinks..

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ak1004 said:

Yes. You can verify this in seconds on a well known third party website which displays historical pricing data. 

20 minutes ago, Nymich said:

If I smoked some crack I would pay it.   In all seriousness for that kind of money I would not be on Celebrity.

Exactly my point. You can book the most expensive suite on a luxury line for a whole month not 11 nights. And still have some change.

9 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

Exactly my point. You can book the most expensive suite on a luxury line for a whole month not 11 nights. And still have some change.

The new E class top suites are aimed at a different market. People who want a luxury suite experience with big ship amenities. :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ak1004 said:

Suite prices on 11 NIGHT ITALY, MALTA & BEST OF GREECE on the Edge:

image.thumb.png.e776d19271127311d807e8978dcd19c7.png

On Oceania the most expensive suite (2,000 sqft) is typically less than $20k CAD on 11 night cruise. Even Regent is much less expensive, and their prices include business class flights and everything else. 

Yes.  So what?  If you can afford it,  doit.  Many can.  And it is great for families or a special occasion.   That is why different cruise lines and ships have different categories of staterooms.  Not everyone wants to stay in the cheapest inside cabin.  To each their own, and it is their money.

It like some peeps stay at Motel 6, others at The Ritz Carleton.   

Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by Kingofcool1947
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's really all just about disposable/discretionary income and who has how much. In the past ten years or so we've sailed Celebrity, for the most part, other than Regent for a northern Europe itinerary, and then Princess for a west coast four night itinerary. Those two were polar opposites with regard to service and amenities. I would be hard pressed to ever sail Princess again, honestly. Regent will likely get our business again when we find an itinerary we like.

That said, we enjoy suites and have sailed in an S1 a time or two, and Royals several times, with an Alaska itinerary coming up in a Royal on Eclipse, which we thoroughly enjoy. We've had Celebrity Suites booked a couple times and have been upgraded to Royal, so we don't yet have that experience.

How can we afford it on our retirement? Planning and budgeting and making the cruise our priority, honestly. We are also pretty lucky about pricing and we enjoy doing research on when and how to get best pricing with perks and such. Our adult children will be taken care of when we cross the ocean bridge to the great cruise in the beyond, so that's not an issue. We just decide what is most important for our money. I can assure you, however, the Iconic on Edge is not on our radar at any time. We don't gamble, so there's not a lot of chance that we will win the lottery or the Bingo jackpot anytime soon.

We also choose to fly first class domestic or international business class.

It's just about choices.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

What? You initially said that Oceania and Regent Suites were the same size and cheaper than the Edge Suites and question why anyone would book X. Now you are saying that a 30N+ Luxury compatible Suite (2000sqfter) is also cheaper??? 

Since most Luxury Lines don’t show specific pricings on their website so you have to contact them directly, I’m not going to waste time trying to find a 30N+ Luxury cruise booking their master-type suite because I actually think it will be cheaper than the X 11N Suite. Sorry, but doesn’t pass the common sense test. Personally I have no interest in Suites, just get tired of the ‘Don’t go on that Line, this Line costs much less and is much much better’.....yeah right. 

Den

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Denny01 said:

Den

Yes!  We were on the Edge and talked to a couple in the suite lounge- we were in a sky suite.  He booked three suites and his wife was complaining about a minor issue stating I paid over 100 thousand dollars for our suites!!  

Some people have tons of money-get great service and still complain!

17 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

Yes!  We were on the Edge and talked to a couple in the suite lounge- we were in a sky suite.  He booked three suites and his wife was complaining about a minor issue stating I paid over 100 thousand dollars for our suites!!  

Some people have tons of money-get great service and still complain!

Yup. And of course the biggest generality, that as some truth in it, they are the biggest complainers. 

den

If you make $100,000 CAD per year, and book a $3,000 CAD veranda, it is the same someone who makes $2,000,000 CAD per year, booking a $60,000 CAD suite.  Self-made millionaires can be frugal, may even choose an inside cabin off season, or cruising may be one of the areas where they splurge.

I assume that a small portion at least are also being booked by people who just ran into money, either by inheritance, lawsuit, lottery, fame, etc.

• Thanks 1

To be honest this strikes me as the politics of envy.  If folk don't pay those prices X will drop them.  Historical data suggests they do.  K12Guy gave a very reasoned and sensible rationale.

If you can afford that - then it is your choice how you spend your money.  It is not for others to judge.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, K12Guy said:

It's really all just about disposable/discretionary income and who has how much. In the past ten years or so we've sailed Celebrity, for the most part, other than Regent for a northern Europe itinerary, and then Princess for a west coast four night itinerary. Those two were polar opposites with regard to service and amenities. I would be hard pressed to ever sail Princess again, honestly. Regent will likely get our business again when we find an itinerary we like.

That said, we enjoy suites and have sailed in an S1 a time or two, and Royals several times, with an Alaska itinerary coming up in a Royal on Eclipse, which we thoroughly enjoy. We've had Celebrity Suites booked a couple times and have been upgraded to Royal, so we don't yet have that experience.

How can we afford it on our retirement? Planning and budgeting and making the cruise our priority, honestly. We are also pretty lucky about pricing and we enjoy doing research on when and how to get best pricing with perks and such. Our adult children will be taken care of when we cross the ocean bridge to the great cruise in the beyond, so that's not an issue. We just decide what is most important for our money. I can assure you, however, the Iconic on Edge is not on our radar at any time. We don't gamble, so there's not a lot of chance that we will win the lottery or the Bingo jackpot anytime soon.

We also choose to fly first class domestic or international business class.

It's just about choices.

Better to enjoy life to its fullest before you die.  You never know when death comes knocking on your door.  If you enjoy cruising, wouldn't  be a joy to die on your next cruise?  You can’t take your money with you when you die.

Edited by Kingofcool1947
  • Like 4

57 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

Yup. And of course the biggest generality, that as some truth in it, they are the biggest complainers. 

den

Just the opposite.  

Edited by Kingofcool1947
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

If you make $100,000 CAD per year, and book a $3,000 CAD veranda, it is the same someone who makes $2,000,000 CAD per year, booking a $60,000 CAD suite.  Self-made millionaires can be frugal, may even choose an inside cabin off season, or cruising may be one of the areas where they splurge.

I assume that a small portion at least are also being booked by people who just ran into money, either by inheritance, lawsuit, lottery, fame, etc.

Envy?  

It’s none of anyone’s business how I choose to spend my money..   You know nothing about me.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

1 hour ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

If you enjoy cruising, wouldn't  be a joy to die on your next cruise?  You can’t take your money with you when you die.

Well, cruising is my #2 passion. I would prefer to pass on whilst mountain biking, honestly. Spread my aches there and leave the bike as a memorial. "He died with a smile on his face, right before the crash". 🙂