Are people really paying those prices?

ak1004

2 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

It depends on your priority.  Perhaps moving to a balcony or window view would be more affordable- for a move to a suite on our cruise was less then $400 pp.  But it was from a balcony to a suite.

Again, we all decide what is important to us.  I wouldn't be comfortable in an inside cabin.   And depending upon the ship the size can vary.

Absolutely!

Moving to veranda minimum bid is $400 CAD and is not likely to win. Considering veranda and inside are the same size, and we use veranda mostly to dry our swimming suits, it really doesn't make sense to us. Others might find it a bargain. But yes, if it was a different size, I could consider it.

3 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

Absolutely!

Moving to veranda minimum bid is $400 CAD and is not likely to win. Considering veranda and inside are the same size, and we use veranda mostly to dry our swimming suits, it really doesn't make sense to us. Others might find it a bargain. But yes, if it was a different size, I could consider it.

You have to do what works best for you!  Just being on a nice ship, you will have a great time!

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

I would like to give them a try, but definitely not at the current prices. We are looking to celebrate our daughter's 30th birthday next September, and I looked at some European cruises. 10 nights on the Edge start at $3,400 CAD plus taxes in inside cabin. Veranda $4,500 and the cheapest suite starts at $10k CAD?? What they are smoking? 

But then again, if there are people who are willing to pay those inflated prices, why wouldn't they charge them? 

Are you prepared to 'rough it' onboard an M class rust bucket yet to be 'revolutionised'? 

There are 10 night Med sailings from £1349 (CAN $2179). This is for an aqua class 1 cabin with classic beverage package, gratuities included and $200 OBC if booked with a UK TA. All UK bookings also include taxes and port fees. Other verandah categories are available but are only around £50 or so cheaper. 

In short you can still find value onboard Celebrity if you look. Unless you're looking at an E class ship..... 

All prices are per person. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Mynki said:

Are you prepared to 'rough it' onboard an M class rust bucket yet to be 'revolutionised'? 

There are 10 night Med sailings from £1349 (CAN $2179). This is for an aqua class 1 cabin with classic beverage package, gratuities included and $200 OBC if booked with a UK TA. All UK bookings also include taxes and port fees. Other verandah categories are available but are only around £50 or so cheaper. 

In short you can still find value onboard Celebrity if you look. Unless you're looking at an E class ship..... 

All prices are per person. 

I'm not looking necessarily on E class, but I'm a bit hesitant to sail on a 20 years old ship. And I don't see the prices you quoted, at least not in next September. The cheapest I can see is 10 nights on Infinity at $2,300 CAD plus taxes in inside cabin with no perks. S class is a good compromise for us, but they are also $3,000+ CAD for inside cabin for 10-11 nights. Last year we sailed on Oceania Riviera 10 nights Med cruise for less than $3,000 CAD (including free internet, free non alcoholic drinks and more), so paying over $300 CAD per night on Celebrity sounds way too high.

10 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

I'm not looking necessarily on E class, but I'm a bit hesitant to sail on a 20 years old ship. And I don't see the prices you quoted, at least not in next September. The cheapest I can see is 10 nights on Infinity at $2,300 CAD plus taxes in inside cabin with no perks. S class is a good compromise for us, but they are also $3,000+ CAD for inside cabin for 10-11 nights. Last year we sailed on Oceania Riviera 10 nights Med cruise for less than $3,000 CAD (including free internet, free non alcoholic drinks and more), so paying over $300 CAD per night on Celebrity sounds way too high.

Apologies I thought you meant September 2019. I was going to say if you could move back a month you'd see this offer. You'd have to book through a UK TA though. Pricing in North America is often higher for Celebrity Med cruises. 

Today £1 = $1.61 CAD

Celeb.jpg

Edited by Mynki

3 hours ago, ak1004 said:

To each its own, and no product can satisfy 100% of the people 100% of the time. We found Oceania and Azamara to be in a different league, but it doesn't mean we won't sail Celebrity or Princess, given the right price and itinerary.

We were on Azamara last year and really enjoyed many things. We were able to see some beautiful ports in Croatia like Split and Hvar which bigger lines don't usually get to. We had to tender to them but it was very easy. We loved the ship, the comfy cushioned lounge chairs at the pools, like Celebrity had back in the day, and the special evening event where everyone goes off the ship to a set destination. We thought the food was okay, not a lot of choices. We would be looking for a late night snack only to find a little table set up with cheese slices and cookies. No pizza at midnight lol. We would dance in the lounge every night to the dj's same songs with the same 20 people who would join us. The entertainment that they brought on board was boring and may have appealed to a much older crowd. For example, a long retired female opera singer who sang in the lounge. It was the summer so there were some younger people on board and all felt the same. I do remember being on a small luxury boat in Tahiti where they brought on local Polynesian dancers and that was very nice. I guess it depends what you are looking for but I find Celebrity to be a nice in between and now with the Edge class, it really is something special. The only negative that I could see is the amount of kids I have seen  since they are now marketing towards a younger class. We did not enjoy our time in the pool as much as we were constantly being splashed. First world problems lol.

Edited by ginak1112

I have seen two "Iconic" groups on the Edge on two different cruises. They were pointed out to us by a staff member who knew us from another cruise. We actually had dinner near one of the groups on the Magic Carpet. I would never in a million years have picked them out of a lineup as guests in an Iconic Suite. They were millennials and looked very down to earth. The other group was older, but I still wouldn't have pegged them as Iconic, if I had met them in the buffet. 😉  

Both were groups of about 6, if I remember correctly, so maybe they were dividing the cost among 3 couples or several singles, which would make a memorable experience a lot more affordable.  I've toured an Iconic and the jacuzzi in the master bath looks like it would hold 6! 🙂

Edited by vtcruising

2 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

I have seen two "Iconic" groups on the Edge on two different cruises. They were pointed out to us by a staff member who knew us from another cruise. We actually had dinner near one of the groups on the Magic Carpet. I would never in a million years have picked them out of a lineup as guests in an Iconic Suite. They were millennials and looked very down to earth. The other group was older, but I still wouldn't have pegged them as Iconic, if I had met them in the buffet. 😉  

Both were groups of about 6, if I remember correctly, so maybe they were dividing the cost among 3 couples or several singles, which would make a memorable experience a lot more affordable.  I've toured an Iconic and the jacuzzi in the master bath holds 6! 🙂

The new generation of multi millionaires?   And why not if you can afford it?

Life is short, and you could die tomorrow.   Or, die on your next cruise.   What a great why to die.  On your cruise.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

Just another point- I see people who have a very comfortable nest egg, in their 70's and beyond- not spending money.  While they are well enough and able to travel- they should enjoy.  Have know many who do not live long enough, or become disabled and do not enjoy the money they worked hard to save.  So people need balance and need to be realistic.  Life is getting shorter every day!

I hear that. We have no children and are intent on being flat broke when we pass on. There won’t be much equity left in our house either.

• Like 1

On 7/21/2019 at 10:23 AM, ak1004 said:

Suite prices on 11 NIGHT ITALY, MALTA & BEST OF GREECE on the Edge:

image.thumb.png.e776d19271127311d807e8978dcd19c7.png

Are people really willing to pay those prices?? 

On Oceania the most expensive suite (2,000 sqft) is typically less than $20k CAD on 11 night cruise. Even Regent is much less expensive, and their prices include business class flights and everything else. 

Considering what they are asking for those suites, it would be almost a years salary times two for us to travel at that level. Lovely suites for sure, especially that wall of windows in the iconic suite - what a view! But I don't think we will be in one anytime soon. 

20 minutes ago, yorky said:

I hear that. We have no children and are intent on being flat broke when we pass on. There won’t be much equity left in our house either.

I’m with you there....  Die happy and flat broke.   🤗  

Maybe time your demise to a future cruise?  Die on a cruise.    What better way to die than at sea?

Good luck.  Enjoy your next cruise.

Edited by Kingofcool1947
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mynki said:

Actually, I would prefer to "rough it" on an M class "rust bucket" yet to be revolutionized.  Or an S class ship.  I've spent many a night on those ships and found them to be quite lovely.  The newly Hoppenized ones appear to have some major issues.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Actually, I would prefer to "rough it" on an M class "rust bucket" yet to be revolutionized.  Or an S class ship.  I've spent many a night on those ships and found them to be quite lovely.  The newly Hoppenized ones appear to have some major issues.

Well I booked that particular rust bucket.....

See that as a term of endearment. :) 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

I’m with you there....  Die happy and flat broke.   🤗  

Maybe time your demise to a future cruise?  Die on a cruise.    What better way to die than at sea?

Good luck.  Enjoy your next cruise.

Hope not the next one!  In 3 weeks!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Mynki said:

Well I booked that particular rust bucket.....

See that as a term of endearment. 🙂

And so have I! Obviously, someone hasn’t been on a true rust bucket to understand what that is. The M-Class ships are a true treat for me. Love the T-Spa pool, and other nice amenities. Each Class ship has their postives (and negatives), but come on, we are talking about being at sea, traveling the world, nice SR’s whether an inside of top of the line Suite, good food (oh, please why did I mention that!!). As mentioned on another similar thread, FirstWorldProblems that some seem to think ruin their vacations, or at least look for them to be ‘ruined’. 

Den

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

And so have I! Obviously, someone hasn’t been on a true rust bucket to understand what that is. The M-Class ships are a true treat for me. Love the T-Spa pool, and other nice amenities. Each Class ship has their postives (and negatives), but come on, we are talking about being at sea, traveling the world, nice SR’s whether an inside of top of the line Suite, good food (oh, please why did I mention that!!). As mentioned on another similar thread, FirstWorldProblems that some seem to think ruin their vacations, or at least look for them to be ‘ruined’. 

Den

We enjoy the summit and used to take it to Bermuda every year.

53 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

Gotta love the "people with money" that sail in suites.

Have sailed in suites 9 out of the last 13 cruises and haven't seen that yet.

Completely different story on the luxury lines, though.

Ah, the good life. 😋  Penthouse or Owner’s Suite?   Which one do you enjoy more?

Life is short, do it before Death comes knocking at your door. It could be tomorrow, or on your next cruise.

Enjoy your cruise.   Got to love the Suite life!

Edited by Kingofcool1947

It is funny, our first vacation cruise was on the Constitution back in '92... I had 'done the crossing' when I was a kid on the Atlantic or United States.. can't recall the name... back in the 60s... So the Constitution was what I expected cruising to be like... with stepping over the water door openings (no accessibility here)... The ship was already 40 years old when we sailed her.... While it was all one class at the time... there was still a separate dining room that would have been second class.... in the evening there was the large Captains table in the center, where, yes the Captain did dine with various passengers. No balcony cabins and the vented doors meant you could hear everything. The ship had a lot of history, Grace Kelly took the ship to Europe when she got married and it appeared in scenes in "to Catch a Thief" and "An Affair to Remember".  Alas she sank when being taken to be scrapped... perhaps a suitable end.

Our next cruise was on The Norway (originally The France).... another iconic ocean liner. Here we had an inside cabin... I think the anchor chain might have passed nearby, I recall noises.... The ship had a true promenade deck with a wide avenue.... what a lovely ship... still recall the beauty of the ship... Again years later boiler blew killing several crewmen.

I haven't found a ship I don't like.... I did think the Freedom class could use more and larger elevators... but that is about it. I love the S class.. but if I really try to be negative... not really crazy about the decor of some areas... but it has not impacted my enjoyment nor kept me from booking again...  

Personnally I wouldn't mind an inside cabin... means I can cruise more... the only reason we now book verandas only... is with DH mobility issues... if he isn't up for it... he can stay in the cabin and still enjoy it... Oh and one cruise we did fall victim to norovirus.. and when quarantined... it is nice to have a veranda to enjoy.

• Like 1

You guys are dangerous! I’ve been able to skirt Suites but with all this talk........

First few cruises were with a OV and that was great. Next one, they offered us a Balcony upgrade for only a few bucks more and we did it......and as most others, we never went back. I’ve always been concerned I’ll end up getting a Suite and love it so much I won’t go back and this is making it harder to ignore.

I’ll just keep thinking: it costs you a cruise....it costs you a cruise....it costs you a......

Den

5 hours ago, ak1004 said:

I'm not looking necessarily on E class, but I'm a bit hesitant to sail on a 20 years old ship. 

How do you feel about flying on a 20-30 year old airplane....have you flown on a 757 recently A330 and many more?

5 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

You guys are dangerous! I’ve been able to skirt Suites but with all this talk........

First few cruises were with a OV and that was great. Next one, they offered us a Balcony upgrade for only a few bucks more and we did it......and as most others, we never went back. I’ve always been concerned I’ll end up getting a Suite and love it so much I won’t go back and this is making it harder to ignore.

I’ll just keep thinking: it costs you a cruise....it costs you a cruise....it costs you a......

Den

For you, a  Penthouse or  Owner’s Suite? Go for it!

Edited by Kingofcool1947