Choice Air to Europe very expensive

jj6961

I've been looking at the Choice Air prices Miami to Barcelona business class American Airlines early November.  The prices that are currently showing are higher than I've ever seen on Choice Air.  I can usually purchase a business seat one way for around $1000, I don't even see economy for that price.  In January I used Choice Air to Rio for $1100 and Lisbon to Miami for $850(both business on American)

There was a thread on the boards about this a while ago but looking for more recent experiences.

I was wondering if anyone had recently found a good deal or if Choice Air deals are over.

I can use miles, but the reward availability under 130K(one way business) are also nonexistent at the moment.

It seems to change randomly from the old "half the discounted RT fare" to just the current one way fare.  Three solutions: keep checking; call choice air and see if they have some unlisted fares; or book yourself...perhaps on one of the airlines that charges a rational price for ow fares...which eliminates AA,Delta, UA, BA.    Not a great set of choices....  A better choice is probably to book RT and throw away the other half which has some risk...not sure if the airlines are really checking...but there are quite a few reasons why you might miss your return flight...

We have found the same thing.  In looking for 1 way BC from Italy.  Choice Air was the same as booking direct over $8k for 2.    We can purchase enough miles for 2 BC tickets on British Air for $2200.  

We had enough miles so didn’t have tp purchase any miles but it would be an option 

15 minutes ago, jelayne said:

We have found the same thing.  In looking for 1 way BC from Italy.  Choice Air was the same as booking direct over $8k for 2.    We can purchase enough miles for 2 BC tickets on British Air for $2200.  

We had enough miles so didn’t have tp purchase any miles but it would be an option 

Dont forget to factor in the high taxes and fees on British Airways.  

Booked business class not too long ago one way from SAN to EZE (Buenos Aires) via LAX.  Looked on the Choice Air site and it showed the same fare as the AA site.  However, when I called and talked to a CA rep he quoted and booked us at close to 1/2 of what the two sites were showing.

I remember reading here some time ago to not rely solely on the site for prices, but to call, and that worked for us (assigned seats and all).  YMMV.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Highpeaklad said:

I know this particular response wasn’t directed at me. I’m definitely not going thru the UK.  I can get a AA/BA award ticket for 65K miles but the taxes are over $550.  

I looked at a round trip Choice Air, this morning business was over $7000.  I will call and see if there are some hidden fares.  Looking like I will have to part with a lot more miles than usual to get to Europe this Fall. 

16 minutes ago, jj6961 said:

I know this particular response wasn’t directed at me. I’m definitely not going thru the UK.  I can get a AA/BA award ticket for 65K miles but the taxes are over $550.  

I looked at a round trip Choice Air, this morning business was over $7000.  I will call and see if there are some hidden fares.  Looking like I will have to part with a lot more miles than usual to get to Europe this Fall. 

Taxes aren’t high going through the U.K., there’s no additional tax at all, but BA has higher taxes on miles redemptions than USA pax may be used to. FYI US airlines charge similar rates on those of us redeeming from the U.K.  

Here is our recent experience.  We are on the November 8 Venice to Rome cruise on the Constellation.  In late April (roughly 6 months before travel), we called Celebrity Air (in our experience with them, calling is best) and they were able to come up with a really attractive open jaw fare.  LAX to MAD on October 28 (10 or 11 days before the cruise), then FCO to LAX on November 18, business class on DL for $2367 pp.  That was so much better than anything we were seeing, we jumped on it immediately.  (Obviously, we will have to find our way to Venice with an internal European flight, but that is not a huge expense.)  We have not yet paid for the tickets but seat selection was available immediately.

Now by contrast, on our last cruise in late May 2019, we called Celebrity Air in late January (roughly 3 to 3.5 months before travel) to inquire about business class airfare, and they had nothing to offer that we couldn't book ourselves.  So we booked through our Platinum credit card travel department, which was able to get us a trivial discount off of what we were seeing online.  

My conclusion is that Celebrity Air is hit or miss.  If you are looking for an itinerary where they have contracted for a favorable rate, and if you call at the right time, you may be in luck.  But other times they have nothing valuable to offer.  

Tom & Judy

We just booked our air for next May for the Infinity round trip out of Barcelona. We first tried to book through X but finally after back and forth booked on our own. LAX to BCN in Business Class on Lufthansa over and United back was just over six grand. We tried using our Skymiles on Delta and it was a joke. Not cheap but is behind us. 

1 hour ago, Highpeaklad said:

Even with taxes and fees, which we have already paid, the cost had we purchased miles would have been $1450 pp far cheaper than the $4400 pp Choice Air, Delta, United, etc are charging. Since we had the miles the 2 BC tickets cost $725.

• Like 1

Just a reminder, CALL Choice Air and ask about non refundable fares, the ones you pay for on-the-spot like they used to quote.  If you've bought or are going to buy trip insurance, doesn't make much difference if it's refundable or non refundable.  BTW, the Choice Air website default is refundable = higher fares.  They make more revenue on them.  Up to you to ask for non refundable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, goofysmom99 said:

Just a reminder, CALL Choice Air and ask about non refundable fares, the ones you pay for on-the-spot like they used to quote.  If you've bought or are going to buy trip insurance, doesn't make much difference if it's refundable or non refundable.  BTW, the Choice Air website default is refundable = higher fares.  They make more revenue on them.  Up to you to ask for non refundable.

Thank you, asked for a non refundable fare is a good tip that I didn’t think of.  

• Like 1

Just booked Celebrity Air economy on Virgin Atlantic from Orlando to London for the fall Silhouette TA.

$298 per person (like $100 airfare and $198 taxes).

Several other airlines at the same price.

Virgin website wants $1500 per person for the same thing.

I find that VERY reasonable.

TA tried booking for us by calling and Celebrity Air wanted ~$1000 per person for the same thing.

DON'T CALL - Use the Internet !!!

58 minutes ago, TommyD3 said:

Just booked Celebrity Air economy on Virgin Atlantic from Orlando to London for the fall Silhouette TA.

$298 per person (like $100 airfare and $198 taxes).

Several other airlines at the same price.

Virgin website wants $1500 per person for the same thing.

I find that VERY reasonable.

TA tried booking for us by calling and Celebrity Air wanted ~$1000 per person for the same thing.

DON'T CALL - Use the Internet !!!

That’s great that you found a low fare.  There are currently no low price fares(business or economy)  from 3 south Florida airports into Barcelona within 5 days of November 5th.  

I’ve always booked online, never called. The prices I’m seeing online are very close to booking directly with the airlines.  I’ll continue to check the Choice Air website, if there’s no change I’ll call.  It doesn’t seem to be the same situation for everyone.  From the responses to this thread it seems that I’m not the only one searching for low cost air deals. 

economy: Finnair 10/31 mia-bcn non stop $853 (code share on American) 

TAP 10/31 mia-bcn 1 stop $395

business: TAP 10/30 or 11/4 mia-bcn 1 stop $1627

found on large airline search engines....not directly with the airlines.

Edited by ghstudio
  • Like 1

One problem is that the large search engines like Hipmunk, Kayak, Orbitz...show different airlines.  With codesharing, you can buy an american flight through BA, Iberia and often the cheapest, Finnair...same plane, same seats, different fares.  Some engines show those alternate fares, some don't.

(posted as a separate post since I am not sure if I can name these airline search sites.  If not, the moderators can just remove this post and leave the info in the last post) 

Edited by ghstudio
  • Like 1

The Choice Air site in no way offers discounted airfare prices for Celebrity customers.  The prices they show you are the same prices you will see if you go on the airline website, or any of the internet sites that advertise airfare prices eg. Kayak).  The prices go up and down constantly based on the computerized marketing programs the airlines use.  Celebrity has nothing to do with it.  The only thing Choice Air gives you is protection against airline delays, which is something.

We booked business class from Toronto to Dublin for $2,600 CAD (around $2,000 USD) on British Airways. But it was around January for June cruise. We got closer to the cruise date, it became more and more expensive.

Edited by ak1004

1 minute ago, ak1004 said:

We booked business class from Toronto to Dublin for $2,600 CAD (around $1,000 USD) on British Airways. But it was around January for June cruise. We got closer to the cruise date, it became more and more expensive.

Wow....that's one heck of a great exchange rate 🙂

IME, the earlier you look for airfare with ChoiceAir, the better.  We booked open jaw business class tickets last December for a cruise in October for less than half what the airline priced the same flights.  Out of curiosity, last month I tried to get a price quote through ChoiceAir online for that cruise, and they won't even price it--apparently their seats are sold out.  For the other international flights we've booked, again, the best prices were when we booked as soon as the window opened.  I'm sure that's not everyone's experience, but that's been ours.

I use Matrix ITA  to get an idea of pricing on all the airlines, and go from there.