Choice Air to Europe very expensive

jj6961

I'm not sure if choice air is the same as flights by celebrity.  But this is what I've found while booking american airlines with flights by celebrity.

AA will always show the discount fare if available and flights by celebrity will always offer the full fare business class regardless of discount fare availability.  The difference is booking code I vs booking code J.

I - Discount fare business class

J - Full fare business class

The difference in prices will be in the thousands.

When booking I always call instead of doing it online, and ask them to check for any seats available with booking code "I".  If AA still has discounts seats available they'll book it for you.

If I don't ask, they always choose full fare pricing (booking code "J").

• Like 1

2 hours ago, footer6 said:

The Choice Air site in no way offers discounted airfare prices for Celebrity customers.  The prices they show you are the same prices you will see if you go on the airline website, or any of the internet sites that advertise airfare prices eg. Kayak).  The prices go up and down constantly based on the computerized marketing programs the airlines use.  Celebrity has nothing to do with it.  The only thing Choice Air gives you is protection against airline delays, which is something.

Sorry but I must disagree.

I just booked open jaw in business class both ways on choice air next May LAX-CPH and CDG to LAX on Delta/Air France for $2,300. The same fare booking directly on Delta is over $5,000. I would say that is a large savings. Maybe you are talking about economy but not the higher class fares.

also just got a OW fare in business class in November through choice air for $874 CDG to LAX nonstop on one of the new Delta suites. Airlines would cost 5x that much or more.

usually great deals are to be had through choice air on the higher class fares or OW fares but you have to do your homework to get them. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, footer6 said:

The Choice Air site in no way offers discounted airfare prices for Celebrity customers.  The prices they show you are the same prices you will see if you go on the airline website, or any of the internet sites that advertise airfare prices eg. Kayak).  The prices go up and down constantly based on the computerized marketing programs the airlines use.  Celebrity has nothing to do with it.  The only thing Choice Air gives you is protection against airline delays, which is something.

I'm sure that has been your experience, but as a blanket statement it is not true.  On several occasions I have booked business class fares that were FAR below what was being offered by the airline.  A while back this was the norm - now it's more of a mixed bag. 

22 hours ago, footer6 said:

Not really true.  The cruiselines offer both regular published fares, and also bulk or specially negotiated fares, though the latter seems to be true only for international flights.   What's available will depend on the cruise, how far out it is, what's been sold already etc. so sometimes you'll find a deal and sometimes you won't.  Of course, those cheaper fares comes with some caveats but that's a different subject. Anecdotal reports indicate that this is true of both coach and business fares, so it's not really accurate to say there is "no way" one will get discounted fares from Celebrity.

• Like 2

On 7/21/2019 at 10:19 PM, TommyD3 said:

Just booked Celebrity Air economy on Virgin Atlantic from Orlando to London for the fall Silhouette TA.

$298 per person (like $100 airfare and $198 taxes).

Several other airlines at the same price.

Virgin website wants $1500 per person for the same thing.

I find that VERY reasonable.

TA tried booking for us by calling and Celebrity Air wanted ~$1000 per person for the same thing.

DON'T CALL - Use the Internet !!!

My situation was opposite.   I always check the online cost and then call.  Choice Air online cost was outrageous for one way DUB to DTW after TA.   Called and it was a third the cost.  I do agree that Choice Air prices are not the bargain they once were.  DTW to AMS round trip in August was the same as all the airlines.  I was able to use my points but had to use them all cash and points ticket.  

We were able to get a business fare of $1335 one way MIA/PRG and $1050 business returning from FCO/FLL. Airline websites were much more expensive. I guess it’s hit and miss with Choice Air.

Larry

1 hour ago, bigdawgs said:

We were able to get a business fare of $1335 one way MIA/PRG and $1050 business returning from FCO/FLL. Airline websites were much more expensive. I guess it’s hit and miss with Choice Air.

Larry

Did you use the Choice Air website or call?  Those are the more in line with the prices I’ve been paying for the last 5 years.

We booked on line with Choice Air. Our outbound is with Lufthansa. Return is with United. This is for September.

Larry

The prices have gone down.  If you’re looking at one ways to Barcelona, try doing it asa round trip.  When I did that, it was half the cost of a one way.  Crazy.

im still monitoring the airfare, but it’s nowhere down to what I paid last year or the year go before 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/22/2019 at 6:13 AM, footer6 said:

I have never found this to be the case. I track air fare very carefully. I never saw a business fare for our upcoming one way LAX-FCO on the Delta site for less than $9500. Booked on Flights By Celebrity several days ago for $1247. Same on several previous trips.  Checked both sources several times since booking , Delta stayed $9500 Choice Air on our routing is up to $1700. Other routing still $1150 to 1300.

• Like 2

On 7/22/2019 at 9:13 AM, footer6 said:

When it comes to international flights and especially one way flight, I've frequently found fares on the Choice Air site that I couldn't come close to on any of the internet sites.  Now if it's a budget airline like Norwegian, yes, they are the same price, but the mainstream airlines, I always find cheaper prices with Choice Air.

• Like 2

I have had the same problem. DW will not fly economy. We have to many very uncomfortable flights in this Class. So, in my search for PremEcon I have found prices to be over the top. Online  and through Choice Air. Choice Air never volunteers when I call to help search for a lower price. Their attitude this is the price, take it or leave it. Econ price from Orlando are very low. We would love to the Silly  T/A this fall but DW will not fly Econ. This is why we also try to take the QM@ either going or coming to avoid the flights. We often get a Balcony on QM2 for about 700-800. I would much rather return home on a pleasant 7 day crossing than in a packed Econ seat for 10 hrs that will cost me a whole lot more.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Cruzinram said:

I have had the same problem. DW will not fly economy. We have to many very uncomfortable flights in this Class. So, in my search for PremEcon I have found prices to be over the top. Online  and through Choice Air. Choice Air never volunteers when I call to help search for a lower price. Their attitude this is the price, take it or leave it. Econ price from Orlando are very low. We would love to the Silly  T/A this fall but DW will not fly Econ. This is why we also try to take the QM@ either going or coming to avoid the flights. We often get a Balcony on QM2 for about 700-800. I would much rather return home on a pleasant 7 day crossing than in a packed Econ seat for 10 hrs that will cost me a whole lot more.

I don't know what your budget for air is, but right now Business MCO-LHR is less than premium economy. I have found this to be the case in the past. Doesn't make sense but it happens.

Edited by sasset
additional information

4 hours ago, Cruzinram said:

I agree with your DW.  Overseas flights in economy is painful for me - like in my legs really bother me not being able to stretch them out.  I am extremely uncomfortable after about 2-3 hours in economy.  I have been lucky so far in that Choice Air has always been able to get me reasonably priced Business Class flights.  This seems to me more hit-and-miss lately so I may have to start considering Cunard for the overseas leg of the trip.

For our flights to Tokyo and home from Shanghai we purchased economy fares and then upgraded our seats to the section with more legroom.  We reserved early enough that we were able to get the front seats at an exit where there nothing in front of us.  We can stretch our legs out as far as we want.