San Fran - Alcatraz / HoHo

Anybody try Alcatraz and Hop On / Hop Off on their own?  Looks like the Alcatraz ferry is walking distance from where the ship docks.  Can any one confirm?

Thanks!

Yes, and yes it is. The only problem is that actual Alcatraz VISITS (rather than bay cruises which go around it) sell out. A lot. Like almost every tour, almost every day in summer. So book it at least a couple of months in advance to give yourselves a choice of timeslots!!! HOHO - I think it was the Big Bus we used, as that was the only included on the 'do a whole bunch of stuff for a fixed price' Go SF Card. Took us to many great sites that we also got entry to on the card - I think we only paid a third of the total price of what we saw if we'd been paying rack rate so it was a total steal.

2 hours ago, lszu said:

Awesome!  Thanks!  We're going in October so I've started looking now.  I've heard that about Alcatraz.

There are many threads on Cruise Critic about seeing Alcatraz. I would go to the official website:

https://www.alcatrazcruises.com/

and book as soon as possible, which is 90 days prior.

As pointed out the Alcatraz tours sell out months in advance.  The bay cruise you can do anytime as a walk up.  When we booked the Alcatraz tour I had to give them my three choices of times based on what was available.  They Emailed me about a week prior with my time, which I could accept or reject.  

It's a short easy walk from the cruise terminal to the tour boat pier.  

If anybody is overnighting in SF they might want to book the night tour of Alcatraz.  I haven't done it but it must be very creepy.  

Edited by ATSEAMYLIFE

Alcatraz night tour is a little creepy especially since you will be wearing their headset listening to the narrative and the sounds of a prison. You leave the pier as the sun is setting.   It’s a beautiful 360 view of bay. 

58 minutes ago, lszu said:

Anyone know how far it is from the port to Fisherman's Wharf?

An easy, level, and short walk - unless it's a multiple-ship day you should be docking at pier 27 (the other backup pier is 33 IIRC, so even closer), and Fisherman's Wharf starts about pier 39. Even the far end, Ghirardhelli Square, is only about 1.25 miles away.

2 hours ago, martincath said:

An easy, level, and short walk - unless it's a multiple-ship day you should be docking at pier 27 (the other backup pier is 33 IIRC, so even closer), and Fisherman's Wharf starts about pier 39. Even the far end, Ghirardhelli Square, is only about 1.25 miles away.

The back up pier is the old terminal at Pier 25. So a little further away. They have also used , in the past, Pier 30-32, quite a bit further away, but don't think they are any more.

19 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

The back up pier is the old terminal at Pier 25. So a little further away. They have also used , in the past, Pier 30-32, quite a bit further away, but don't think they are any more.

Thanks for the correction Bruce.

• 2 months later...