New York transportation- 6 people

Lbicklel

Hi. We are a group of six flying into LGA the day before our cruise and staying in a Manhattan hotel (Marriott upper east side).  We chose that location to be near my niece is a nephews that live there so we can visit with them the evening before the cruise. We are cruising out of the Manhattan port. So we will need transportation from LaGuardia to the hotel, then from the hotel to the port, and then from the port back to LaGuardia.  The cruise is a Sunday to Sunday September 15-22. 

I am looking at both Carmel and Dial 7.  Or are there others you all might suggest.  Do you like one better than the other? I am also thinking we might be better off taking two SUVs than one large van from a pricing perspective since we will all have luggage. But a little concerned that it might be harder to meet two vehicles especially at LaGuardia.  Our group is 3 relatively experienced travelers, two of whom do have experience with LaGuardia, and three elderly ladies.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Lbicklel said:

I am looking at both Carmel and Dial 7.  Or are there others you all might suggest.  Do you like one better than the other?

They are basically the exact same thing-- I think they might even use a lot of the same drivers. Both companies are sort of like prearranged Ubers. The larger cars they both use these days are either minivans or quite old Suburbans. With either company you are not going to get a pristine black car-- most of the cars they use are older model to keep the cost down. 

When I travel in and out of LGA I usually just grab a taxi because they are quick or call an Uber/Lyft. With Uber/Lyft the cars tend to be newer and nicer than what you get with Carmel/Dial 7 these days. 

I am also on the Escape leaving for New England/Canada on September 15th.  We are arriving into LGA on Thursday, September 12th around 11 am for a few days in New York pre cruise.  I have been researching transportation to my hotel (the Ameritania) and have found recommendations for Uber, Lyft, taxi, and car services.  I wonder if someone can tell me which is the most cost effective of these options. 

@sun_lovin!1 - what does "cost effective" translate/mean to you ??

# of travelers, luggage counts, any mobility issues, and are you comfortable using mass/public transit as a frugal alternate on a midday ? 

What airline/terminal are you flying into LGA on the date - as that affects the "better" choice(s) to - possibly - avoid taking a free shuttle to a remote parking lot to meet an Uber/Lyft and/or car service ... whereas, lines for taxi can be long, but moving, and without the hassle of the shuttle.  

Mking, we are flying on American Airlines.  Do you know what terminal they use by chance? Two travelers without any mobility issues. I will likely have a large suitcase and a rolling garment bag and a carry on. He will have a big suitcase as well. I have never been to New York but I think the amount of luggage I have will come in to play if I were to try to take the subway as I will be in charge of all of my own luggage.

I am hoping for pricing estimates and pros and cons of taking a taxi, uber/lyft or using a car service.  We need to get from LGA to the Ameritania, to the Manhattan Cruise port from our hotel on Sunday morning and then from the cruise port back to the hotel the following Sunday morning. 

@sun_lovin!1 - Most AA flights use Terminal B a/k/a the "old" main/central "t" at LGA, some flights are now at the nice Terminal C (and D for Delta & others) ... no way of knowing for the late morning arrival down the road on gate assignments, etc.  Check AA's site or use FlightStat, FlightAware or Kayak, etc. to look ahead if it's a regularly scheduled daily flights for a better idea.  

Bookmark this link - it's the official URL for LGA - and I pointed it to the "current" info on where to find/meet all FHV (For Hired Vehicles) including Uber/Lyft & car services - check again at the 24/48 hours final marks for changes - https://www.laguardiaairport.com/to-from-airport/car-service-and-shared-rides 

We usually recommend (here on CC) price out & use either Dial 7 or Carmel car services - (personally, Carmel is our choice for airports & cruise piers, so a bit ... biased; but, they have a free mobile app - very similar to Uber/Lyft, easy to use)   You can do a precise & confirmed quote if booking with them - should run about $45 to $55 including tolls, congestion fees & surcharges, exclude tips - with a standard 4 door sedan, which should be spacious for 3 bags+ and a carry-on, and 2 adults in comfort ... not a limo ride but safe, licensed & insured, regulated  & all trips will generate an eReceipt.  A fellow CC just priced out some quotes this week - take a look, except s/he is going to Brooklyn's pier but staying/using LGA & Manhattan hotel, further downtown ...  ("flights from Redhook")

Taxi will be a metered fare + tolls and tips, fairly similar to the ballmark quote above, but if there's heavy traffic or delays - the meter will run & final charges could be higher even if caught in gridlock jams.  As for Uber/Lyft, their savings in NYC used to be more/better but with regulations, the gaps closing in against car service & yellow tax ... I am not a fan of ride-sharing, but will use them as a last resort/emergency or if the trip is on a client's account.  

All the options "should" be available to you at T "B" unless ... it's a hassle to push/pull all the heavy/big spinners & rollers on a shuttle & spend another 5 to 20+ minutes to a remote lot to catch a taxi, car service or Uber/Lyft.  However, it can happen - just word of caution.  My advice, it's late summer/early Fall, pack smartly & lightly - even if you can sailing Canada/NE (we just did that in early May ... rather chilly port stops) as it will make your big city navigation easier, that includes hotel to/from cruise terminal, as well as the airport/airline terminal adventure.   See here - https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2310823-la-guardia-411-congestionconstruction-issues/page/3/

Between your hotel & MCT, on Sunday mornings - the trip is quick - should be about 10 minutes, unless there's major traffic issues going "across" town - fares & tips, no more than $15.  A yellow taxi might be best, hotel doorman are good at flagging one for you and to help you load/unload ... $ always welcomed & thankful for.  

10 hours ago, sun_lovin!1 said:

He will have a big suitcase as well. I have never been to New York but I think the amount of luggage I have will come in to play if I were to try to take the subway as I will be in charge of all of my own luggage.

You said you're flying into LGA?  I don't think you can take the subway directly from LGA, even if you wanted to.  Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe there's a subway stop right at the airport.  I think you'd have to take a bus first, then a subway.  ??

1 hour ago, waterbug123 said:

You said you're flying into LGA?  I don't think you can take the subway directly from LGA, even if you wanted to.  Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe there's a subway stop right at the airport.  I think you'd have to take a bus first, then a subway.  ??

Definitely no subway stop at LGA, nor an AirTrain like those at EWR and JFK that can connect you to subways or rail lines.

You have to take a bus from LGA to get to a subway station.

Even if there were a subway stop at LGA, taking full size luggage on a NY City subway is usually not a good idea.

Edited by njhorseman

4 hours ago, sun_lovin!1 said:

For those of you that use a car service,  and book it ahead, how long after the scheduled arrival of your flight do you schedule the pick up?

1 hour ago, sun_lovin!1 said:

Or can I use the app and book something upon arrival at the airport like I would with Uber or Lyft?

You can certainly use the Carmel Limo app to book a car upon your arrival, just like you would for Uber or Lyft. There could be a little delay in getting a car to you, but they normally have a substantial number of cars stationed near the airport so if it isn't a day with travel problems such as bad weather you shouldn't have too long a wait.

The car services ask for your flight information when you book and that really gives them the information they need, but I would book a pick up for 30 minutes after scheduled arrival if you're going to have checked luggage. The limo company I use to and from the airports (not Dial 7 or Carmel due to where I live) doesn't even ask for a pick up time when  you give them your flight information.

Our free Carmel App works great, real-time GPS-assisted tracking ... just like our Lyft App, driver & vehicle assigned and where it's coming from, etc.   Screenshot from earlier today: it showed nearest available one about 6 or 7 minutes away from Pier 88. (35 Hudson River Freeway is the pickup address for MCT at 12th Ave across on W. 48th Street.)  718910e4ebf8706944596a776a397254.jpg

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Edited by mking8288