Smoking on the ship

Mammafontz

We just got off the Celebrity Summit.  Gorgeous ship and very happy with the cruise but we had neighbors on the ship that were smoking on their balcony and it filled my room with smoke.  Then we smelled smoke in the hallway.  They make MANY announcements that smoking is not allowed.  Why do people refuse to listen?  Sorry but it was my only complaint about the cruise.  I’m really allergic to smoke.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Mammafontz said:

We just got off the Celebrity Summit.  Gorgeous ship and very happy with the cruise but we had neighbors on the ship that were smoking on their balcony and it filled my room with smoke.  Then we smelled smoke in the hallway.  They make MANY announcements that smoking is not allowed.  Why do people refuse to listen?  Sorry but it was my only complaint about the cruise.  I’m really allergic to smoke.

You should have immediately reported this to Guest Services who could have come to their room and enforce the Ship's non-smoking policy.

• Like 3

I agree with the above posters. I would have called the front desk every time I smelled smoke. If this didn't stop the smoking then I would have asked to speak with the hotel manager and requested a change of rooms. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, kathynorth said:

I agree with the above posters. I would have called the front desk every time I smelled smoke. If this didn't stop the smoking then I would have asked to speak with the hotel manager and requested a change of rooms. 

I would have requested that the smokers be moved. No need for me to be inconvenienced because they insist they can't be without smoking, or are too lazy to go to the official smoking area.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

We would have reported it in a New York minute. Then I would have posted on CC about how successful the complaint to GS or up the chain stopped the offenders. Speaking from a past experience and was suspenseful at stopping the jerks from smoking on their balcony! 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, K12Guy said:

I would have requested that the smokers be moved. No need for me to be inconvenienced because they insist they can't be without smoking, or are too lazy to go to the official smoking area.

So yes, I agree with you that the OP, or me if this happened to me, shouldn't have to move. My point with speaking with the hotel director is to elevate the complaint past the room steward level. The front desk is likely to notify the room steward, and these staff tend to not want to ruffle feathers with passengers. I really don't think the HD would start changing rooms around, but the HD would take the smoking issue seriously and would likely have security visit the room next door. 

Edited by kathynorth
  • Like 1

I did tell the room stewards who went to the room and warned them.  They even called us to check and make sure we didn’t experience any more problems.  I was impressed by Celebrity.  However there were a few other rooms that we could smell smoke, so I notified the stewards again and they were taking action.

It was just annoying that people won’t listen to the rules.

• Like 2

Agree with all the posters hereabout reporting smokers on a balcony.

I am asthmatic and the nearby smoking with smoke seeping into our cabin would not be a good situation for me.

I definitely would have reported the situation immediately to the Front Desk.

If that did not resolve the issue, I definitely would have moved the complaint up the chain of command.

Some people are selfishly inconsiderate.

My basic rule in life is that I that I really do try to be understanding and considerate. That said, I don't take being bullied, either passively or aggressively. Since smoking is restricted to certain ares of the ship I really think that smokers should go to those areas of the ship when they feel the need to smoke. I like scotch. But, if the rules say I can't drink scotch by the pool, I go to the pool bar, or the inside bar. Easy, peezy. Follow the rules. The rules say, quite clearly, smoking is not permitted in areas other than where it's identified. Including staterooms, balconies, etc.

Don't put up with being walked on. Unless your name is Mat.

• Like 1

Actually, the room steward might not be the best person to 'report' the offender to -- especially if he/she is also the steward for the sneaky-smoker. The steward gets put in the awkward position of either: offending the smoker (and losing that tip), or offending the reporting party (and, you see where I'm going with this). In my experience, it's best to make a positive identification on the place the smoke is coming from -- and if possible, a description of the offender. Once you've done that, get on the phone to Guest Relations, immediately. Have them send Security to the cabin in question, to check out your report. In nearly a decade of cruising X, I've only had to do that a couple of times -- but it got rapid and lasting results. (Wish I could say the same thing about my recent cruise on RC's Independence of the Seas ).

Edited by wwcruisers
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, wwcruisers said:

Actually, the room steward might not be the best person to 'report' the offender to -- especially if he/she is also the steward for the sneaky-smoker. The steward gets put in the awkward position of either: offending the smoker (and losing that tip), or offending the reporting party (and, you see where I'm going with this). In my experience, it's best to make a positive identification on the place the smoke is coming from -- and if possible, a description of the offender. Once you've done that, get on the phone to Guest Relations, immediately. Have them send Security to the cabin in question, to check out your report. In nearly a decade of cruising X, I've only had to do that a couple of times -- but it got rapid and lasting results. (Wish I could say the same thing about my recent cruise on RC's Independence of the Seas ).

I absolutely agree.  If you spot a smoker, Security is the appropriate group to be involved. Call guest services and request they come to your cabin.  Also remember if you see something, the camera on your phone is your friend.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

I absolutely agree.  If you spot a smoker, Security is the appropriate group to be involved. Call guest services and request they come to your cabin.  Also remember if you see something, the camera on your phone is your friend.

Thanks. I will have to do that next time

23 hours ago, Mammafontz said:

Why didn’t you report the offender to Security or Stewart?

Edited by Kingofcool1947

1 hour ago, Muffinz said:

I think people caught smoking on their balcony or in another part of the ship where they are not allowed to smoke - should get removed from the cruise at the next port

We were on a cruise recently and a lady we met from Australia told a story of being caught smoking on her balcony.   She was fined $500 and threatened with being kicked off the ship if she repeated.    She became a quick believer in following rules.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

We were on a cruise recently and a lady we met from Australia told a story of being caught smoking on her balcony.   She was fined $500 and threatened with being kicked off the ship if she repeated.    She became a quick believer in following rules.

Also a good incentive to quit smoking. 

On 7/22/2019 at 10:44 PM, Jim_Iain said:

I love this.  Smoking on the balcony is so beyond rude.  It's surprising how far that stench can carry.

I was on a cruise several years ago where a man was smoking on the adjoining balcony. I very politely informed him about the policy and he replied that he is a VIP and can do whatever he wants. I called my friend the HD who sent security to the room. Smoking ended! Guess I was a more important VIP :). 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1