Fasting?

fischymom

My husband and I have for about a year and a half and plan to continue.  There are very active Facebook groups ... I started after I read the book Delay, Don’t Deny.  Check out that FB page, you should find answers to all your questions.  I started because I was managing type 2 diabetes by eating low carb, which gets old.  I can eat more of the food I like during my eating “window”.

Edited by ceccon

I just started IF a few weeks ago. I'm not strict, because, while I fast during the week, I'm eating 3 meals with my family and I'll have a glass of wine (or 2 with my husband) on weekends. I've been staying keto-ish, low/no carb for all meals and eating a small-medium size snack then dinner somewhere between 1-6pm during the week. I'm down 21 pounds total; the majority of that has been these last few weeks that I've been fasting. 

Hey, I'm using the IF/EF method myself. My daily is OMAD, no real restrictions, but I'm finding the loss is less, so I'm trying to transition to better feasting options (low carb). I've been doing different window lengths since the third week in June and have lost 20 lbs so far. I have three months until my cruise. 

• Like 1

I am doing the Intermittent Fasting for five days this week,beginning today! I have been yo-yo dieting while trying to do weight watchers and am tired of losing the same 5 lbs up and down! "Delay, Don't Deny" was out of stock,(except for Kindle),so I bought "The Dubrow Diet" and am doing their red carpet ready phase 1 to jump start my metabolism! I will be home this week so should be able to focus on this! I will fast (except water or no cal beverages are allowed)from 9PM-1PM(a 16 hr fast) and then 1pm-9pm refuel with food and a protein shake. I could change the hours but am trying what the authors suggest for my first time trying this.

• 1 month later...

I do intermittent fasting at times.  The plan that works best for me is 5 days of normal (not over eating) days and two non-consecutive days of very low calories.  The original plan calls for no more than 500 calories on those days, but for me it works better at 650 calories.  

Sometimes after I have been doing this for a few weeks, 500 seems enough.  Of course they need to be healthy calories, but I usually have at least 1 oz of dark chocolate.😁 Maybe two!

I can lose weight quite quickly doing this and only need to do it a couple of times a year to stay even on weight.  If my weight starts to creep up I may do this for a few weeks.

I have tried eating for only an 8-12 hour window each day, or other variations of the fasting diet, but they just don't work as well for me.  Of course, everyone's body and/or discipline is different.

• 2 months later...

a few years ago i lost 100 lbs, a huge reason i was able to make this happen was from fasting. i didn't do the traditional IF with a window  i just went to eating only once a day. I wanted to constantly keep my body in caloric deficit, therefore everything i was doing was burning calories. here is a break down of my day;

Wake up 3-4pm (i work overnights)
eat dinner around 5-6pm (typically consuming ~800 calories in this meal)
go to work, 10pm-7am (labor intensive job) 
8-10am Hit the gym hard, HIIT cardio training and weights everyday. i knew i had to strength train as well because i didnt want to end up with excess skin, so building muscle at the same time and burning fat keeps everything much tighter. 
after the gym i would sleep until i did it again the next day.
Extra info, 
-i never consumed calories through drinks, Coffee, water and diet coke all zero calorie ( i know diet coke has a little sodium but really not enough to even care about)
-just starting this one day out of the blue would nearly be impossible, try cutting to two meals then one at first i snacked alot on zero cal veggies that help break old habits.
-with any diet/workout plan you must must must be super strict with your self at first. i make no exceptions at first, once it was my daily life if i had a day off my a buddy wanted to go to lunch or what ever then no big deal i would go not even worried, no point of doing all this if it means giving up for good the things you enjoy. but since i was already in that routine i could just go back to it the next day, it was my new normal. 

i had alot of success doing this, 240lbs-142lbs. leaner and stronger i had ever been in my life. 

any questions feel free to ask 🙂

ps i am not a nutritionist nor dietitian so everything above is just my own opinions. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

My husband and I tried 5-2 fasting (fasting two days, eating normally for 5 days) in December.  I lost the first week but then had a bad weigh in or two and became discouraged.  Meanwhile my husband lost 10 pounds.  I think my problem was that I was overeating on the 5 days to make up for the fasting days.  As of January 3 we're trying it again only cutting out desserts and sugars (except for a instant cappacino every morning with which I indulge myself).  I lost 2-1/2 pounds the first week and am hoping for a good weigh in this week.  Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

I’ve basically been doing this including drinking water for a year now. Weight loss of 6 to 8 lbs total. I don’t drink water or eat from 7 8 or 9 pm until 7 8 or 9 am daily. Yoga daily and walking are my workouts and piyo. I enjoy a drink of grated ginger root and lemon water multiple times a day. Oatmeal and walnuts and blueberries and sesame seeds most morning.
Tai chi class also.

Yoga moves your organs around increasing your metabolism.
I used to drink water too late at night and too early in the morning  which messed up my metabolism.

I’ve got a L4-5 spinal fusion. Missing right leg ACL tendon. Right arm rotator cuff tear that is inoperable.
Age 65 now and living healthy is the best revenge. I can’t be sitting for long time. It kills me. I’m in pain but try to keep moving. Weight loss helps everything.

• Like 1

Nice to see others doing IF or OMAD.  My husband and I started a year ago, and I have lost 50#, he lost 30.  He does OMAD now to maintain, but I'd still like to lose 20 more, so I do ADF.  We started low carb 3.5 yrs. ago which was a great intro to ditching sugar, flour, processed food, etc.  He walks 4 mi. a day plus 45 min. on elliptical.  I do yoga, Pilates and Deep Water Fitness at our local Center.  We still drink alcohol almost daily (I tried to do Dry January but failed) so perhaps we are in training for all the free booze onboard!  LOL!  We plan to be active every day on board plus walking at the ports. And pace ourselves!!  Good luck everyone!

Edited by DNRsailaway
added a word

Just now, DNRsailaway said:

Nice to see others doing IF or OMAD.  My husband and I started a year ago, and I have lost 50#, he lost 30.  He does OMAD now to maintain, but I'd still like to lose 20 more, so I do ADF.  We started low carb 3.5 yrs, ago which was a great intro to ditching sugar, flour, processed food, etc.  He walks 4 mi. a day plus 45 min. on elliptical.  I do yoga, Pilates and Deep Water Fitness at our local Center.  We still drink alcohol almost daily (I tried to do Dry January but failed) so perhaps we are in training for all the free booze onboard!  LOL!  We plan to be active every day on board plus walking at the ports. And pace ourselves!!  Good luck everyone!

On 7/21/2019 at 10:23 PM, fischymom said:

Anyone do intermittent fasting? Just started and would love to connect with others who do. Which method, how you have adjusted, success or so so. 

Thanks for starting this topic. I have just recently heard of intermittent fasting and it’s great to read the success stories. Maybe after the screws I will look into hitting that hard so I can fit into my old sizes on my next year’s cruise!Thanks for starting this topic. I have just recently heard of intermittent fasting and it’s great to read the success stories. Maybe after the screws I will look into hitting that hard so I can fit into my old sizes on my next year’s cruise!

21 hours ago, DNRsailaway said:

We still drink alcohol almost daily (I tried to do Dry January but failed) so perhaps we are in training for all the free booze onboard!  LOL!

Well, you ARE from Wisconsin 🙂

I do intermittent fasting. I only eat between 12 pm and 8 pm. Though, because I work full time, I only eat a small lunch around 12 pm and then nothing else until I get home around 5-6 pm. Most days, I don't eat past 7 pm, but if I decide I want/need something else, my cut off is 8 pm. It was pretty easy for me to get into IF, because I wasn't a breakfast eater before this anyway. So I'm not really missing out on anything.

On weekends, I push past 12 pm and see just how long I can go before eating. Today, I didn't eat anything until 3 pm and then ate some more around 6:30 pm. Haven't had anything else since, except for water. I drink a lot of water. lol

In addition to IF, I also watch my carbs. I'm not doing "keto" specifically, but I do keep my carbs low. I completely cut out bread, potatoes, pasta, and as much sugar as possible. It wasn't easy at first, but I don't even miss those things anymore.

As for whether or not this has been successful, I have lost 130 pounds in the past year. :)

• Like 1

Very interesting topic here! I am fighting Pre-Diabetes, and joined diabetes.co.uk and found wonderful support and many options. I cut out all the "healthy" grains, veg, fruit, that had gotten me to where I was, and also the ice cream and other sweets that had put me over the top. I lost 40 lbs in a year, but the second 20 were not intentional! I am smaller than I was when I got married. I take up to 4 barre classes per week, which has certainly given me a huge amount of functional strength, plus a nice waistline. I still have to re-start my walking, which is my cardio go-to.   I am hoping to keep this WOE forever-- so long as I can have my 90% Lindt chocolate, I am FINE! 😂 

Last spring I started serious (for me) IF. I have to have breakfast and supper on a 12-hr schedule due to meds requirements. I lost it a American Thanksgiving, and haven't regained the steady IF-ing that I'd had. Lent is coming up, and if I don't get back to it before then, I certainly will on Ash Wednesday.

I found through trial and error that I did have to pre-fuel my barre classes, which kinda spoils the IF, but is the only way I can wind up not in " chronic total exhaustion" mode. I am not nearly as young as I once was, and for some classes I take we have a 50+-year differential between the youngest (a teenage ballet dancer) and me. We all enjoy that-- looks really really good on the promo material LOL.

So, How The Heck am I going to manage VLC on a TA cruise in a year and a half???? I am sure there will be seafood and chicken, but my spinach in vast quantities? My homemade flax crisps? Will have to research very closely the  foodstuffs import rules in the places I'll enter, although if the flax I bring (if it's ok in UK where we begin) will not have to leave the ship, that part is solved. Research, research!