Question concerning garment bags

TechKnowBabble

This time around our garment bag will be quite full. I was wondering (since I'm not at home and have too much time on my hands to think about things) how many hangers (items) do you think would fit in an average garment bag? I am estimating we might have 15 items to put in. Should that work?

15 items might work, depending upon how bulky the items are.

In my garmet bag I always put all my formals (3) plus my informals (2 or 3) and several casual items. The side pockets hold all my shoes which there are many plus I also have several pockets on the outside where I can stuff tons of stuff.

The hangers are the biggest problem. Mine only holds about 4 or 5 hangers so I put several items on each hanger. Its amazing too, the clothes don't wrinkle that much considering how much I manage to get into the bag.

Last cruise I weighed the bag just to see & it weighed in at almost 25 lbs. so considering that, I would assume you can pack at least 15 items.

Enjoy your cruise!

Are you able to pack some and have them pressed when you get onboard?:confused:

that may be a possibility. I am going to see which blouses I can get away with putting in the luggage...I already know that 4 of my blouses I can pack, my pants and skirts I can also pack, I believe they are fairly wrinkle resistant.

15 items might work, depending upon how bulky the items are.

In my garmet bag I always put all my formals (3) plus my informals (2 or 3) and several casual items. The side pockets hold all my shoes which there are many plus I also have several pockets on the outside where I can stuff tons of stuff.

The hangers are the biggest problem. Mine only holds about 4 or 5 hangers so I put several items on each hanger. Its amazing too, the clothes don't wrinkle that much considering how much I manage to get into the bag.

Last cruise I weighed the bag just to see & it weighed in at almost 25 lbs. so considering that, I would assume you can pack at least 15 items.

Enjoy your cruise!

I don't believe anything is too heavy...with the exception of my BF's suit jacket. thanks for the info

I switched to a rolling garment bag a few years ago- best thing I ever did. I can get a whole tux, two men's suits, three blazers, a dozen shirts, half a dozen pair of pants, two pair of shoes, and LOTS of stuff in the little pockets and spaces around. It ends up weighing about 45 lbs., and it's checkable. Between that and my other roller bag, I'm good to go for two to three weeks!

Andrew

I switched to a rolling garment bag a few years ago- best thing I ever did. I can get a whole tux, two men's suits, three blazers, a dozen shirts, half a dozen pair of pants,...Andrew

Can you get all this stuff on hangers in the garment bag??? :confused: I can only get two or three suit hangers plus maybe 6-8 wire shirt hangers in my rolling Samsonite garment bag.

Les

I switched to a rolling garment bag a few years ago- best thing I ever did. I can get a whole tux, two men's suits, three blazers, a dozen shirts, half a dozen pair of pants, two pair of shoes, and LOTS of stuff in the little pockets and spaces around. It ends up weighing about 45 lbs., and it's checkable. Between that and my other roller bag, I'm good to go for two to three weeks!

Andrew

Hi Blazerboy :)

Do you know the dimensions of your rolling garment bag that can accommodate so much?

jUST CLOSED MY ROLLING GARMENT BAG TO LEAVE TOMORROW MORNING.

I PUT EVERYTHING ON THE THIN WHITE HANGERS FROM THE CLEANERS...HAVE ONE men's suit, 6 pairs of men's slack's, 3 white long sleeve dress shirts, 3 short sleeve men's iron shirts, 3 long dresses, 2 short dresses, a beaded top, and a sun dress....plus little things in pockets.....no problem. i also have everything i mentioned in dry cleaner bags...will have to see how it all travels. the garment bay is not a big one. Judy

I, too have a rolling garment bag. I can hand 22 ladies' items. Dresses, gowns, shirts. etc. I don't hang trousers, instead after I'm done hanging, I place the trousers on top.

I only travel with two pieces of luggage. The rolling garment bag and the buddy bag which slips over the top of the handle.

We just bought one of these:

http://www.briggs-riley.com/travel/garmentbags/66_wardrobeonwheels.asp?ShowInside=no

It was expensive, but like they used to say about Curtis Mathes TV's, "Expensive, and Darn Well Worth It!" This thing is big enough that we may only have to tote this one, instead of one for each of us. When folded over and zipped up, it's 10" thick. It has two hanger clips on one end, one on the other. All sorts of inserts, etc. This has an excellent guarantee as well. We just got it this past week, so it's maiden voyage is coming in April. This thing will probably outlast us both.

Ken

One thing to consider with 1 vs many bags, the airline size and weight restrictions. The weight is 50 lbs per bag, and 62 inches (adding all three dimensions together). This now includes international flights (as of 11/05). We use 29-30 inch pullmans (4 for the 2 of us), and the size works, but always seem to get snagged on the weight (one or two is always overwight, and the others just right).

Just another thing to plan for if airline flights are involved!!

Tim

Another good tip also regarding garment bags is to buy the special hangers made just for the bag.

They are very thin & lock in place when you put the hanger on the hook.

They didn't come with the bag when I bought it & I had a very hard time finding the special hangers (think on the web) but they do make a difference on how many outfits you can load into the garment bag since the hangers are so skinny.

Ditto's ref the skinny hangers. Got to have them. You can also go to most dry cleaners and buy skinny wire hangers for a very reasonable price. Most of our skinny hanger collection (if not all of them) are saved from dry cleaning jobs, or else were bought there.

Ken

Sky Sweet, sorry for the delay- Mine is about 24 inches across, and, unfolded, is long enough to fit a men's suit. For dresses, there is a flap and a padded roller to fold the bottom of the dress backon itself. I've never used it, but it would seem to work well. When fully packed, it's about 12" deep.

It has hard sides (the depth of the bag when folded) and soft front and back. The bottom is hard, and the handle provides quite a bit of support from the handle structure. Mine is made by Delana, a brand sold by the National Luggage Dealers Assoc. to nicer luggage stores, but at a better price than Tumi/Hartmann/etc. If I could afford the Tumi, I'd go for that. I used to have Tumi, and it lasted for years- only reason I got rid of it was that it had the old system of wheels and a strap, rather than the new hard retractable handle, and the new roller-bag style wheels.

Andrew

Sky Sweet, sorry for the delay- Mine is about 24 inches across, and, unfolded, is long enough to fit a men's suit. For dresses, there is a flap and a padded roller to fold the bottom of the dress backon itself. I've never used it, but it would seem to work well. When fully packed, it's about 12" deep.

It has hard sides (the depth of the bag when folded) and soft front and back. The bottom is hard, and the handle provides quite a bit of support from the handle structure. Mine is made by Delana, a brand sold by the National Luggage Dealers Assoc. to nicer luggage stores, but at a better price than Tumi/Hartmann/etc. If I could afford the Tumi, I'd go for that. I used to have Tumi, and it lasted for years- only reason I got rid of it was that it had the old system of wheels and a strap, rather than the new hard retractable handle, and the new roller-bag style wheels.

Andrew

Thanks, Blazerboy, for answering my question. It is nice to know that so many clothes can fit into a garment bag that is small enough to comply with the airlines 62" maximum combined measurements requirement :)

We bought a very nice garment bag, with rollers, last year. Really more of a piece of "luggage", than a garment bag as it holds tons. It was pretty expensively locally, but we bought it very reasonably on Ebay, new with tags.

The biggest mistake we've made with luggage purchases over the past couple of years has been not paying attention to weight. With the 50 pound per piece luggage limits on airlines the 15 to 18 pound weight of most of our luggage is an issue, and unfortunately our year old garment bag is no exception. So if you're looking for a nice big bag on rollers, pay attention to the weight - a newer lightweight piece of nice luggage can save you 8 to 10 pounds! Ask questions & recommendations at the luggage store, or on line website to find good lightweight items.

We have a travel pro rolling garment bag and can hold hubby's tux, 3 tuxshirts, his suit, his sports jacket and dress slacks, 6 long sleeved dress shirts, 3-4 long formals for me, 4 dresses, and 2 pants suits. When open, the garment bag is 7 inches deep. You actually hang from both top and bottom alternating the clothes. When folded over it is the size of a regular suitcase and when packed with the above weighs in close to the 50 lbs allowed.

I switched to a rolling garment bag a few years ago- best thing I ever did. Andrew

I agree, I am so glad I switched to a rolling garment bag. Someone mentioned using plastic garmet bags over each item. That's great advice. I do that and pin the sleeves of each item across the top of the garmet so the stay in place. Between that and the plastic bags I don't have to worry about wrinkles!

Actually, I now have to make a plug for shirt packers, too. Because I'm such a clothes horse, I often take 14 shirts for a 7 day cruise! For my less formal (non-tux, non-suit) button front shirts, I pack them in those eagle creek shirt packs, and they come out looking pressed, like they just came back from the cleaners in a box. I've used them with dress shirts on occasion, too, and it's usually fine, especially when worn under a jacket. A real space saving device, too. Different brands (Eagle Creek, Swiss Army, etc.) available at luggage stores, the Container Store, probably Target, too!

Andrew

Archived