Picture-A-Week 2019 - Week 30

pierces

Pictures taken between Monday, July 22 and Sunday, July 28.

Rules: See above

That's it. This isn't a contest.

All photos taken this week are welcome (not just cruising).

Prizes will not be awarded. Discovering the joy of photography is the prize.

The idea is to get folks out using their cameras for more than vacations and toddler birthdays.

Post one. Post many. Up to you.

Have fun with your camera and share your fun with others!

This week i have been experimenting with BBAF. See whether this would help with focusing on fast moving things. Not sure, but my thumb is sore.

Yesterday I again went to the local football -- I am sure you are now all signed up fans of the Williamstown Seagulls (blue and yellow colours). It was late in the day with very dull light. Flood lights were on, but they don't help much.

1387730509_BBAFFooty.thumb.jpg.80efdef8438907c55caf644d44d43116.jpg

This morning (Sunday) I went on my walk around the waterfront to see what could be found. Seemed to be fish for early lunch.

1487352426_Fishlunch1.thumb.jpg.c49a1f131a50436218c488780864f841.jpg

1314837768_FishLunch2.thumb.jpg.0bf784dd9103d051f8f998ba350123a8.jpg

21 hours ago, Docker123 said:

This week i have been experimenting with BBAF. See whether this would help with focusing on fast moving things. Not sure, but my thumb is sore.

Yesterday I again went to the local football -- I am sure you are now all signed up fans of the Williamstown Seagulls (blue and yellow colours). It was late in the day with very dull light. Flood lights were on, but they don't help much.

1387730509_BBAFFooty.thumb.jpg.80efdef8438907c55caf644d44d43116.jpg

Not sure what BBAF is, but those are clear enough to see leg muscle definition.  🤤🤪

BBAF = Back Button AutoFocus

A technique to control when and on what your camera focuses on. Instead of focus activating on a half shutter press, focus activation is assigned to a dedicated button on the rear.of the camera. Often the center button of the four-way control switch is used.

Dave

If I look off into the distance and squint a little, I can see the finish line. After nearly a year of interruptions (both planned and unplanned) we are on the final stretch of the Kitchen remodeling project. All of the carcasses are built and installed with only a few drawers left to be made and added as soon as I figure out size and purpose. Designing and building everything from scratch has allowed for adding a lot of functionality unavailable from a pick-and-place component installation. Useful bits like the mixer lift pictured here and a roll-out cart for extra prep room will make for a happy cook. DIY also made the African Mahogany an affordable alternative to pressboard and laminate.

Work in Progress

p3533869953-5.jpg

Dave

• Like 2

23 hours ago, pierces said:

BBAF = Back Button AutoFocus

A technique to control when and on what your camera focuses on. Instead of focus activating on a half shutter press, focus activation is assigned to a dedicated button on the rear.of the camera. Often the center button of the four-way control switch is used.

Dave

Thanks! I wonder if it's on my camera (that I might get to play with after I finish grad school next spring)

Been coming to CC for a few years now and I have never looked in this area before. Over the past year I have moved away from the Auto selection on my camera and have moved to full manual mode. As I understand it, these threads are for pictures taken during the given week so here are a few that I took last week.

Loyalist vs Trojans 12.jpg

Loyalist vs Trojans 17.jpg

Loyalist vs Trojans 23.jpg

lantern.jpg

1 hour ago, PurpleHays said:

Thanks! I wonder if it's on my camera (that I might get to play with after I finish grad school next spring)

I thought of you when I posted the football photo. Previously noted your appreciation of the Australian sporting “prowess” from an earlier shot.

I am sorry for not spelling out BBAF, pierces has given a good explanation. I am finding it useful for some of the fast moving, multiple shots. But not always easy to get the initial focus. Mine is defined onto the AE-L/AF-L button.

There seems to be a number of steps required to allocate the focusing to a back button, depending upon your camera. I followed the instructions here: https://backcountrygallery.com/1/BBAF-Book.pdf

Good luck with grad school.

Edited by Docker123

A shortened shooting week for me on July 27 in the wetlands - it was overcast and periodic rain and I was out shooting with the rain sleeve on the camera and lens...but then had to cut short when the lightning got within 7 miles...I turned tail and sped back to the car about 3/4 mile away just in time, as the bolts on the way home were hitting everything around me - poles, trees, ponds, etc.  So only a few shots:

A frog in the water - at least one animal that didn't mind the rain, though if lightning hit the water, he could end up frog soup:

original.jpg

Female anhinga drying its wings on a log - not too effectively given it was still raining lightly:

original.jpg

• Like 2