Missing ship in a foreign port with no passport

denmarks

6 minutes ago, sloopsailor said:

And he implies that they only do closed loop cruises, so he apparently has not recently had the experience of entering the US from a foreign travel not associated with such cruises. The process is different when entering directly from a foreign country. And it has gotten more stringent. More people are being searched, questioned or detained than a few years ago. Even more so now than right after 9/11. 

I typically enter the country at a land border crossing when we return from Europe because we fly out of Montreal but I am familiar with the re-entry process (and of course that type of travel actually requires a passport). Re-entry procedures are fairly standard among the ports of entry.

Edited by sparks1093

8 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

First of all travel on a closed loop cruise is to a foreign country, it's just typically nearby. I typically enter the country at a land border crossing when we return from Europe because we fly out of Montreal but I am familiar with the re-entry process (and of course that type of travel actually requires a passport).

Your described situation is not at all the same as what some are talking about. Travel directly to the US from foreign countries that the current administration considers undesirable has indeed become more difficult for some people, especially if they do not look like Norwegians trying to immigrate here. 😉

Edited by SantaFeFan
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, SantaFeFan said:

Your described situation is not at all the same as what some are talking about. Travel directly to the US from foreign countries that the current administration considers undesirable has indeed become more difficult for some people, especially if they do not look like Norwegians trying to immigrate here. 😉

Caught it before I edited it out that first line. I am sure that for some people yes, it is more difficult. How difficult is it for a US citizen on a round trip flight? 

2 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

Nope, I believe I made reference to that very incident in one of my previous posts. 3 things to consider- 1) he told the authorities that he was undocumented, 2) he was in the US when it happened, and 3) that means he wasn't returning from a trip abroad. (And finally, he was detained by ICE, not CBP. Two different agencies with different missions.) And if I were really that concerned about the current political climate I probably wouldn't be traveling (but since I'm not concerned I will keep on going on trips).

4) He presented conflicting documents. One saying he was a Springsteen song (born in the USA) another saying he was born in Mexico.

5) His English is very poor.

As for 3), he apparently was just inside the 100 mile "no constitution, ICE has free rein" zone. Who, with US citizenship, that has been posting on this thread carries proof of citizenship on a daily basis? 

On 7/25/2019 at 10:58 PM, CPT Trips said:

What leads you to say that your passport belongs on your person at all times? Some rule or just a personal preference?

There are no guarentees when traveling. Where do you suggest one keep a passport when scuba diving, skiing, sailing, or even just heading to the beach? Hotel room/ ship cabin safe or take it along on the activity? 

There are waterproof passport carriers available for those who wish to take their passport to the beach. 

10 hours ago, SantaFeFan said:

A morrocan male friend flew on a round trip ticket to visit family.  His return was for 9/12 iirc.  He had to have his passport decertified so to speak and there seemed to be no urgency in doing so.  It took him at least 3 more days to get home.

He still returns home though his mother is no longer living.  He says he feels sorry for the woman next in line in immigrations, in JFK!  It seems they always get extra screening too. 

50 minutes ago, K32682 said:

There are waterproof passport carriers available for those who wish to take their passport to the beach. 

OK. But that doesn't answer the question. Where do you suggest one keep the passport and waterproof carrier while engaging in those activities?

7 minutes ago, CPT Trips said:

OK. But that doesn't answer the question. Where do you suggest one keep the passport and waterproof carrier while engaging in those activities?

You wear the waterproof carrier ... on you ... in the water.  Hence ... it being waterproof.  Passport stays on the ship IN the safe in your room.  Unless it is a port where it is mandatory to bring passport ashore ... but there are very few of those, from what I understand.  Yes, I HAD to bring my passport ashore when I visited Cuba ... but that's over now.  

8 hours ago, CPT Trips said:

Who, with US citizenship, that has been posting on this thread carries proof of citizenship on a daily basis? 

That will change when everyone has Real IDs.   

2 minutes ago, CPT Trips said:

Being a resident of a non compliant state I don't have real ID so it's not on my horizon. 

Oh, I thought all had to have them by fall of next year.  Point is, if I understand correctly,  many will be carrying proof of citizenship by fall of next year.  Anyway, probably a topic for another thread.  LOL.  

Edited by ldubs

2 hours ago, ldubs said:

Oh, I thought all had to have them by fall of next year.  Point is, if I understand correctly,  many will be carrying proof of citizenship by fall of next year.  Anyway, probably a topic for another thread.  LOL.  

Ours have been delayed so many times, who knows!  I think they may be issuing them soon.  If you don’t need one they are encouraging you to wait until renewal. 

I assume our non driving ids have the exemption for photos as our voter Id, now dead, had.  

On 7/26/2019 at 3:35 PM, CPT Trips said:

4) He presented conflicting documents. One saying he was a Springsteen song (born in the USA) another saying he was born in Mexico.

As for 3), he apparently was just inside the 100 mile "no constitution, ICE has free rein" zone. Who, with US citizenship, that has been posting on this thread carries proof of citizenship on a daily basis? 

I do because I have an EDL but I carry it to drive not to prove citizenship.

On 7/27/2019 at 12:35 AM, ldubs said:

That will change when everyone has Real IDs.   

No it won't. Having a REAL ID compliant license only means that you showed documents establishing legal presence in the US. It does not by itself verify citizenship. 

18 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

No it won't. Having a REAL ID compliant license only means that you showed documents establishing legal presence in the US. It does not by itself verify citizenship. 

I remember reading or hearing somewhere that the IDs would look different, meaning the ID say for someone with a green card would be different than the ID for a US citizen.   But, I would not at all be surprised if that were no longer the case.  Or, maybe it never was the case, IDK.   

17 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I remember reading or hearing somewhere that the IDs would look different, meaning the ID say for someone with a green card would be different than the ID for a US citizen.   But, I would not at all be surprised if that were no longer the case.  Or, maybe it never was the case, IDK.   

I believe there is a star on the ones with proof, but it’s been a while since I looked it up. 

• Like 1

On 7/26/2019 at 2:47 PM, SRF said:

HUH???

CBP is the US agency.

Border Force is the UK immigration and customs authority.

Does it matter? Did you understand what I meant? In Swedish it would be "Gränspolisen", but at least I tried to use a english word for it... 🙄

5 hours ago, ldubs said:

AFAIK the REAL ID compliant licenses will have a gold star on them and it's the same for everyone (EDL's have both a gold star and a US flag on them).

On 7/26/2019 at 3:35 PM, CPT Trips said:

If I were Latino living in a border state, you betcha I would.  Always.

I have no patience or tolerance for CBP/ICE/INS.  We were stopped by them in upstate New York on the Interstate and harrassed for five minutes because we weren't carrying ID except our DL's.  I finally asked the guy if we were under arrest and he said no, and I told him fine, we're leaving.  And we did. He didn't have the kahunas to come after us, because it would have cost him his job.

On 7/26/2019 at 11:48 PM, Benthayer Gonbak said:

A morrocan male friend flew on a round trip ticket to visit family.  His return was for 9/12 iirc.  He had to have his passport decertified so to speak and there seemed to be no urgency in doing so.  It took him at least 3 more days to get home.

He still returns home though his mother is no longer living.  He says he feels sorry for the woman next in line in immigrations, in JFK!  It seems they always get extra screening too. 

Considering the US was under ground stop still on 9/12 with only authorized military and life flight aircraft in the sky, his return couldn't have been 9/12.

17 minutes ago, ducklite said:

Considering the US was under ground stop still on 9/12 with only authorized military and life flight aircraft in the sky, his return couldn't have been 9/12.

Agreed his ticket was not honored, but that doesn’t keep it from being for 9/12.  And, he wasn’t on first available either. It’s always a mess getting stranded passengers back onto flights.  The advantage is that no new airline passengers are arriving to be stranded. His return included a check that his US passport was approved, presumably from the embassy, which delayed his return even more. 

29 minutes ago, ducklite said:

If I were Latino living in a border state, you betcha I would.  Always.

I have no patience or tolerance for CBP/ICE/INS.  We were stopped by them in upstate New York on the Interstate and harrassed for five minutes because we weren't carrying ID except our DL's.  I finally asked the guy if we were under arrest and he said no, and I told him fine, we're leaving.  And we did. He didn't have the kahunas to come after us, because it would have cost him his job.

DC has a law that require ids be carried at all times.   The police supposedly could and did stop people and ask for drivers licenses.  Since I used public transportation I saw no need for a drivers license while walking to and from my job.  Fortunately, I don’t profile for a search so I never had experience a stop.  I was not alone in believing that the law wasn’t really enforceable! 

3 hours ago, Benthayer Gonbak said:

DC has a law that require ids be carried at all times.   The police supposedly could and did stop people and ask for drivers licenses.  Since I used public transportation I saw no need for a drivers license while walking to and from my job.  Fortunately, I don’t profile for a search so I never had experience a stop.  I was not alone in believing that the law wasn’t really enforceable! 

That doesn't seem to be vise. Even when walking or taking public transportation, I always have my driver's license on me in case of an accident or some incident that results in me being incapacitated where no-one knows who I am or where I live so they can contact family. Some form of ID isn't an attack on privacy. It is information that may be needed in an emergency. 

Edited by SantaFeFan

12 minutes ago, SantaFeFan said:

That doesn't seem to be vise. Even when walking or taking public transportation, I always have my driver's license on me in case of an accident or some incident that results in me being incapacitated where no-one knows who I am or where I live so they can contact family. Some form of ID isn't an attack on privacy. It is information that may be needed in an emergency. 

The ids that were acceptable were very limited.  My employee Id was not acceptable, nor were Price Club cards.  Those are just two ids that could be used to identify who they were burying!   To me my health cards are what first responders need when looking for medic alerts etc. 

I found out too, with a department store that when your passport expires it no longer proves you are who you say you are, when paying by check.  

Had a similar problem with a drivers license license when I was home on leave, they did accept my foreign drivers license which had no picture but the same address that was on the check!  It looked like a temporary license on flimsy paper.   My VA drivers licenses had a permanent address, but not my current address. 

5 hours ago, Benthayer Gonbak said:

DC has a law that require ids be carried at all times

Do you have a citation for that?  There are laws requiring you to identify yourself to police under certain circumstances, but being required to identify yourself does not mean that you need to possess or show any documentary proof of your name and address to  a police officer. Here's an example specifically addressing pedestrians I was immediately able to find from the Code of the  District of Columbia:

https://code.dccouncil.us/dc/council/code/sections/50-2303.07.html

Previous

§ 50–2303.06. Hearing.

Next

§ 50–2303.08. Electronic notice.

Publication Information

Current through Apr. 11, 2019

Last codified D.C. Law:
Law 22-292 effective Apr. 11, 2019
Last codified Emergency Law:
Act 23-112 effective Feb. 28, 2019
Last codified Federal Law:
Public Law approved Feb. 15, 2019

Report Error

Website Feedback

We cannot respond to questions regarding the law.

§ 50–2303.07. Identification of pedestrian offenders.

(a) A pedestrian who is stopped by a police officer or other authorized official after the pedestrian has committed an infraction of these regulations shall be required to inform the officer or other official of his or her true name and address for the purpose of including that information on a notice of infraction; provided, that no pedestrian shall be required to possess or display any documentary proof of his or her name or address in order to comply with the requirements of this section.

(b) A pedestrian who refuses to provide his or her name and address to a police officer upon request after having been stopped for committing an infraction of these regulations shall, upon conviction, be fined not less than $100 nor more than $250.

Edited by njhorseman