Missing ship in a foreign port with no passport

denmarks

It’s been too long and iirc it was changed in the 90s long after I had left that job and they moved.  

I remember looking it up and arguing that there had to be a reason or it wasn’t enforceable.  I didn’t normally walk down 14th street to the subway, that might have gotten more attention, although our favorite turkey sandwich shop was there!   The part in red seems to be what is clarification, now.  Much better! 

Thanks for the clarification though, it’s good to see the improvements, and not have to have old pages from previous laws etc.  I thought the changes happened during the Clinton administration, but the dates on this seem to be later.  

The last time i was downtown DC was to the Native American museum, totally different area, for sure. 

On 7/26/2019 at 12:31 PM, ducklite said:

You must have missed the US Citizen with a valid passport recently held for over three weeks by CBP in squalid conditions--denied access to a phone call or lawyer and told he "had no rights."

Not a valid passport.

He had state ID.

On 7/27/2019 at 3:32 AM, Benthayer Gonbak said:

Ours have been delayed so many times, who knows!  I think they may be issuing them soon.  If you don’t need one they are encouraging you to wait until renewal. 

I assume our non driving ids have the exemption for photos as our voter Id, now dead, had.  

If they don't, you will need a passport or passport to fly domestically.

13 minutes ago, SRF said:

Like I said, if you don’t need one wait until renewal. I don’t need one,  I have both a passport and another I’d that should be valid if I travel domestically.   Within a month I am traveling internationally, by car.  Eventually it won’t just be flying that requires a real Id! 

If your reference was to our non driving ids having an exemption for photos, I’m sure that passports don’t have that religious exemption.  So, they really aren’t a work around. 

27 minutes ago, SRF said:

Not a valid passport.

He had state ID.

I read of another story about a marine that was held by authorities for a time who did have a valid passport. Of course he told them that he was undocumented.

9 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

I read of another story about a marine that was held by authorities for a time who did have a valid passport. Of course he told them that he was undocumented.

His military id should have sufficed for being documented!  Was his passport a tourist passport? 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Benthayer Gonbak said:

His military id should have sufficed for being documented!  Was his passport a tourist passport? 

Military ID doesn't prove citizenship. I'm not sure what kind of passport he had but he definitely didn't do himself any favors by telling the authorities he was undocumented. Almost like he wanted to be detained.

13 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

Military ID doesn't prove citizenship. I'm not sure what kind of passport he had but he definitely didn't do himself any favors by telling the authorities he was undocumented. Almost like he wanted to be detained.

That could be the case. Maybe he intended to make a political statement.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

26 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

Of course nor, but it does prove you are documented!    

If he had a non tourist passport he may not have wanted that known.  State dept folks are encouraged to also have tourist passports.  Ultimately I agree he was just testing the system for some odd reason.  

16 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

That could be the case. Maybe he intended to make a political statement.

I had a colleague that years ago always had trouble crossing back from Tijuana.  He looked Italian, sort of.  When we went together he seemed annoyed that we had no trouble crossing! 

9 hours ago, SRF said:

Not exactly. You'll have a more detailed interview where TSA uses commercial and government data bases to verify identity. 

From TSA web site:

"

Forgot Your ID?

In the event you arrive at the airport without valid identification, because it is lost or at home, you may still be allowed to fly. The TSA officer may ask you to complete an identity verification process which includes collecting information such as your name, current address, and other personal information to confirm your identity. If your identity is confirmed, you will be allowed to enter the screening checkpoint. You will be subject to additional screening, to include a patdown and screening of carry-on property.

You will not be allowed to enter the security checkpoint if your identity cannot be confirmed, you chose to not provide proper identification or you decline to cooperate with the identity verification process.

TSA recommends that you arrive at least two hours in advance of your flight time."

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/identification

16 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

Stupid is, as stupid does.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CPT Trips said:

Not exactly. You'll have a more detailed interview where TSA uses commercial and government data bases to verify identity. 

From TSA web site:

"

Forgot Your ID?

In the event you arrive at the airport without valid identification, because it is lost or at home, you may still be allowed to fly. The TSA officer may ask you to complete an identity verification process which includes collecting information such as your name, current address, and other personal information to confirm your identity. If your identity is confirmed, you will be allowed to enter the screening checkpoint. You will be subject to additional screening, to include a patdown and screening of carry-on property.

You will not be allowed to enter the security checkpoint if your identity cannot be confirmed, you chose to not provide proper identification or you decline to cooperate with the identity verification process.

TSA recommends that you arrive at least two hours in advance of your flight time."

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/identification

Ok, that works the first time.

And you show up a week later to fly, claiming you again forgot it at home.....

I suspect that no matter HOW EARLY you are that time, you will miss your flight. 😄

1 hour ago, SRF said:

Ok, that works the first time.

And you show up a week later to fly, claiming you again forgot it at home.....

I suspect that no matter HOW EARLY you are that time, you will miss your flight. 😄

You might suspect wrong.

My SIL had her pocketbook stolen off the hook in a ladies room stall the night before they were to fly to Florida.  She went to the airport with what she could scrape together from home--a library card, an old college ID, her mortgage statement, a couple of credit cards she didn't normally carry, and her fitness club ID.  Yes, it took over an hour to get through security and approved to fly.  Yes, her carry on was taken apart and searched.  Yes, she had a thorough pat down search--the type where they take you into a private room.  But she WAS allowed to fly.  And guess what?  Same thing on the way home--a week later.

Special ID to fly doesn't make a lot of sense. The airline vets people (not using ID) after they buy a ticket. But, when you show an "approved" ID to a Smurf, it isn't vetted . . . no comparison to any data base. 

8 hours ago, ducklite said:

You might suspect wrong.

My SIL had her pocketbook stolen off the hook in a ladies room stall the night before they were to fly to Florida.  She went to the airport with what she could scrape together from home--a library card, an old college ID, her mortgage statement, a couple of credit cards she didn't normally carry, and her fitness club ID.  Yes, it took over an hour to get through security and approved to fly.  Yes, her carry on was taken apart and searched.  Yes, she had a thorough pat down search--the type where they take you into a private room.  But she WAS allowed to fly.  And guess what?  Same thing on the way home--a week later.

Duh, that was the same trip.  So TSA could see that.

Try it a couple weeks later for another trip and see what happens. 😄

• 1 month later...
On 7/22/2019 at 4:51 PM, mom says said:

Yes, there's a thread from a couple of years ago of someone left behind, but he had an expired passport with him. And a credit card. And was fortunate to have a US consulate on the island he was on. He was eventually able to get an emergency replacement and flew on to rejoin the ship and his family. It was still a major hassle. Without ID and money, you're screwed, to be blunt.  

Researching something else, I came upon that thread.  It is harrowing and will make anyone bound and determined never to miss a ship and to always have a valid passport. 

On 9/8/2019 at 11:02 AM, capriccio said:

Researching something else, I came upon that thread.  It is harrowing and will make anyone bound and determined never to miss a ship and to always have a valid passport. 

Definitely a good read and part of the reason why I carry my passport with me while in a foreign country. Thanks.   

5 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

In the Caribbean?

I can't recall specifically if we were asked for our passports when checking into resorts on our Caribbean land vacations, but I do know that it seemed to be standard practice in most of the countries we've visited

3 minutes ago, mom says said:

I can't recall specifically if we were asked for our passports when checking into resorts on our Caribbean land vacations, but I do know that it seemed to be standard practice in most of the countries we've visited

I was surprised when we weren't asked for them when we checked into our hotel in France. Maybe the practice is as widespread as it used to be.

Edited by sparks1093

On 9/8/2019 at 8:02 AM, capriccio said:

Yes, always have a valid passport available. However, that does not mean to have it on your person at all times if not required by local law. Since the cruise lines will hand over your passport to the shore agent if you miss the ship, it will be available from that agent after the ship has sailed away. Always keep it in the room safe so security staff will retrieve it and hand it over to the agent. 

There will be one person on this thread who will insist that this simple customer service courtesy is not guaranteed. And yes, as in everything in life, nothing is absolutely guaranteed. Neither is it guaranteed that you will always have it if you keep on your person. It can be lost, stolen, taken during a robbery, misplaced in an emergency room, etc. Not guaranteed either way.  

We hear of many, many more incidents of a person losing control of their passport while carrying it than of cruise ship staff not retrieving passports as they promised. 

Edited by SantaFeFan

34 minutes ago, SantaFeFan said:

Yes, always have a valid passport available. However, that does not mean to have it on your person at all times if not required by local law. Since the cruise lines will hand over your passport to the shore agent if you miss the ship, it will be available from that agent after the ship has sailed away. Always keep it in the room safe so security staff will retrieve it and hand it over to the agent. 

There will be one person on this thread who will insist that this simple customer service courtesy is not guaranteed. And yes, as in everything in life, nothing is absolutely guaranteed. Neither is it guaranteed that you will always have it if you keep on your person. It can be lost, stolen, taken during a robbery, misplaced in an emergency room, etc. Not guaranteed either way.  

We hear of many, many more incidents of a person losing control of their passport while carrying it than of cruise ship staff not retrieving passports as they promised. 

I absolutely agree with you.  We always travel with a passport that is left in our safe (unless the port/country insist that it be on your person) and a copy that is on our person.  If we miss the ship I am hoping - based on everything I've read - that the passport would be handed over to the port agent.  Unfortunately for the cruiser whose story I mentioned, he didn't have a valid passport on the ship.