Missing ship in a foreign port with no passport

denmarks

17 hours ago, ducklite said:

Personally I'd think it was fair to assume that SRF has been singled out more for their previous travel destinations than for the type of ticket they are flying on.   

I don't think that he was flying domestically but flying one way internationally. Many of the checks take place before you even show up and if they flag your record that will be indicated to the TSA agent that's scanning your ticket, so even if that one TSA agent doesn't know the info it is still known to the agency.

8 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

I'm also self-reliant and leave my passport on board for the simple reason that I don't like carrying things with me that I don't have to. So the self-reliance piece comes in by having the number to the port agent/ship and calling them if I know that I'm going to miss the ship with the request that they retrieve my passport and give it to the port agent. Even if I had my passport with me my first contact would be with the port agent since he or she is the expert on what needs to happen next and can advise the cruise line what my plans are.

You and I define self-reliance differently.  My definition does not include having to rely on being able to reach the port agent/ship and rely on them to retrieve my passport.  My definition of self-reliance is to seek all available alternatives to having to rely on others in potentially critical situations.  My preference is to rely on my proven ability to securely carry my passport than to rely on a complete stranger getting it to me should the need arise.  YMMV.

45 minutes ago, K32682 said:

You and I define self-reliance differently.  My definition does not include having to rely on being able to reach the port agent/ship and rely on them to retrieve my passport.  My definition of self-reliance is to seek all available alternatives to having to rely on others in potentially critical situations.  My preference is to rely on my proven ability to securely carry my passport than to rely on a complete stranger getting it to me should the need arise.  YMMV.

Your way is the right answer for you and my way is the right answer for me and someone else's way is the right answer for them. All of my travel up until 2015 was conducted without a passport at all so not carrying one isn't a big deal to me.

3 hours ago, K32682 said:

"Proven ability". That's cute. You certainly have an extremely high opinion of your capabilities!! 

So then is it safe to assume that when you travel you rely on your "proven ability" and fly your own plane that you have maintained yourself, and only rely on your "proven ability" and drive to and from the airports in your own car that you also maintain yourself? You know, so you don't have to rely on a compete stranger getting you there? Or do you go against your own advice and fly commercial airlines that are flown and maintained by COMPLETE STRANGERS, and take cabs, Uber, Lyft, limos or shuttles that are driven by COMPLETE STRANGERS to get there and back? 

Your lack of trust in only one tiny segment of your life is quite peculiar. I would call it a phobia, bordering on OCD. But, as you are fond of saying - YMMV. 😁

Edited by PTMary
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, PTMary said:

"Proven ability". That's cute. You certainly have an extremely high opinion of your capabilities!! 

So then is it safe to assume that when you travel you rely on your "proven ability" and fly your own plane that you have maintained yourself, and only rely on your "proven ability" and drive to and from the airports in your own car that you also maintain yourself? You know, so you don't have to rely on a compete stranger getting you there? Or do you go against your own advice and fly commercial airlines that are flown and maintained by COMPLETE STRANGERS, and take cabs, Uber, Lyft, limos or shuttles that are driven by COMPLETE STRANGERS to get there and back? 

Your lack of trust in only one tiny segment of your life is quite peculiar. I would call it a phobia, bordering on OCD. But, as you are fond of saying - YMMV. 😁

40 years of travel carrying a passport and not losing one or having it stolen would establish a proven ability. 

Certainly there are times when one is required to rely on strangers but in your examples there are immediate consequences of poor performance that will affect both me and the driver pr pilot equally.  There are however no immediate repercussions for the crew if your passport is not delivered nor for the port agent if he or she is not readily available.  The immediate consequences of your passport sailing off without you may be quite severe. 

Should you be uncertain about your capacity to securely manage your documents while ashore and conclude your risk of losing your passport is too high then by all means you should leave it on the ship.  The odds of either of us being in the same circumstance as described in the original post are quite small but should it occur having your passport with you is preferable to hoping the crew will leave it with the port agent and then having to track him or her down. 

Edited by K32682

2 hours ago, K32682 said:

40 years of travel carrying a passport and not losing one or having it stolen would establish a proven ability.

50 years of traveling internationally without carrying my passport if it wasn't necessary, including dozens of cruises over the last couple of decades, and never had an unexpected need for a passport if it wasn't required in the first place. I would consider myself, and the myriad of others who leave our passports in our safe as large corporation travel departments, cruise experts, and even the US government, have recommended. I would say that has established us with an equal, and perhaps even more substantial, proven ability. 

Certainly there are times when one is required to rely on strangers but in your examples there are immediate consequences of poor performance that will affect both me and the driver pr pilot equally.  There are however no immediate repercussions for the crew if your passport is not delivered nor for the port agent if he or she is not readily available.  The immediate consequences of your passport sailing off without you may be quite severe.

More "sky is falling" opinions. You never cease to amaze. 

Should you be uncertain about your capacity to securely manage your documents while ashore and conclude your risk of losing your passport is too high then by all means you should leave it on the ship.  The odds of either of us being in the same circumstance as described in the original post are quite small but should it occur having your passport with you is preferable to hoping the crew will leave it with the port agent and then having to track him or her down.

And again you insult everyone who doesn't do it your way by assuming we leave our passports secured in our safes because we are of lower intellect, are too scared, or have lower capabilities than you. You would be much better arguing your case if you didn't repeatedly insult people who don't do things the way you have wrongly deemed to be the only perfect way. Again, you never cease to amaze us with your superiority attitude, constantly denigrating us that we aren't as capable as you. 

Edited by SantaFeFan

13 hours ago, SantaFeFan said:

50 years of traveling internationally without carrying my passport if it wasn't necessary, including dozens of cruises over the last couple of decades, and never had an unexpected need for a passport if it wasn't required in the first place. I would consider myself, and the myriad of others who leave our passports in our safe as large corporation travel departments, cruise experts, and even the US government, have recommended. I would say that has established us with an equal, and perhaps even more substantial, proven ability. 

More "sky is falling" opinions. You never cease to amaze. 

And again you insult everyone who doesn't do it your way by assuming we leave our passports secured in our safes because we are of lower intellect, are too scared, or have lower capabilities than you. You would be much better arguing your case if you didn't repeatedly insult people who don't do things the way you have wrongly deemed to be the only perfect way. Again, you never cease to amaze us with your superiority attitude, constantly denigrating us that we aren't as capable as you. 

In the original post of this thread it is clear that the resolution would have been different and vastly easier had the individual been in possession of his passport.  People who only carry their passport when they "expect" to use it are ill-prepared to manage the "unexpected" on those admittedly rare occasions when it occurs.  

There is no "perfect way" for everyone. Some individuals blindly follow the advice of travel agents, fellow cruisers and government bureaucrats and place their faith into the ship's crew to deliver their passport if plans go awry, have faith they can easily return to the port and have faith they can locate the port agent. 

Others however put more faith in themselves than individuals, corporations and government. They examine the situation, assess their own capabilities, consider likely scenarios and make decisions relevant to their circumstances.  My posts provide trenchant counterpoint to those who continually issue dire warnings about passports being stolen or lost.  There are worse things than losing your passport not the least of which is not having it when you need it and relying on others to get it to you when you do.

Edited by K32682

On 9/19/2019 at 12:33 PM, ducklite said:

With a very few exceptions, TSA DOESN'T DO SCREENINGS IN INTERNATIONAL AIRPORTS.

Want to try again?

No, there is no TSA there, so why would they know.

But, at airports with TSA, they DO know if you are on a one way ticket.

And CBP also knows when you fly into the US.

On 9/20/2019 at 8:03 AM, sparks1093 said:

I don't think that he was flying domestically but flying one way internationally. Many of the checks take place before you even show up and if they flag your record that will be indicated to the TSA agent that's scanning your ticket, so even if that one TSA agent doesn't know the info it is still known to the agency.

Yes, one way international tickets.

And the individual agent does not know.  But the boarding card gets flagged.

And there are a couple of other things about when I travel for work, that I do not share on open forums, but that make it even funnier.   If you see me on a cruise, I will tell you about them.

5 hours ago, K32682 said:

In the original post of this thread it is clear that the resolution would have been different and vastly easier had the individual been in possession of his passport.  People who only carry their passport when they "expect" to use it are ill-prepared to manage the "unexpected" on those admittedly rare occasions when it occurs.  

There is no "perfect way" for everyone. Some individuals blindly follow the advice of travel agents, fellow cruisers and government bureaucrats and place their faith into the ship's crew to deliver their passport if plans go awry, have faith they can easily return to the port and have faith they can locate the port agent. 

Others however put more faith in themselves than individuals, corporations and government. They examine the situation, assess their own capabilities, consider likely scenarios and make decisions relevant to their circumstances.  My posts provide trenchant counterpoint to those who continually issue dire warnings about passports being stolen or lost.  There are worse things than losing your passport not the least of which is not having it when you need it and relying on others to get it to you when you do.

Exactly.

Which is why I prefer that people get the pros and cons of both sides, and for them to make up THEIR mind of how they want to handle things.

17 hours ago, SRF said:

No, there is no TSA there, so why would they know.

But, at airports with TSA, they DO know if you are on a one way ticket.

And CBP also knows when you fly into the US.

It's quite common for people to fly on one way tickets domestically these days--I do it multiple times a year without incident.  It's not something that would raise an eyebrow. At all.

Again, I believe that the places you have traveled to internationally are what has caused you to have secondary screening.  It has nothing to do with your ticketing.

The lines that we cruise on these days hold passenger passports and will let us know if we need them to enter a port.  If we need the passport to rent a car or whatever, they readily give them to us.  It's a better system, as you know that if you aren't on board when the ship leaves, either you have your passport on you, or they will leave it with the port agent.  Either way, it's not a big deal to get to the next port.  

On land based trips, unless the country requires us to carry the passport on our person, we leave it secured in our accommodation.  There is no reason to carry a US passport around a city like Krakow, Dublin, or Perth.

1 hour ago, ducklite said:

It's quite common for people to fly on one way tickets domestically these days--I do it multiple times a year without incident.  It's not something that would raise an eyebrow. At all.

Again, I believe that the places you have traveled to internationally are what has caused you to have secondary screening.  It has nothing to do with your ticketing.

Hmm, to Frankfurt?  Or London?  Or Paris?

I have had the same issue with those destinations.

When I asked TSA, the supervisor told that any one way ticket is suspect.

Now, this was earlier in TSA history.  But we also stopped traveling on one way tickets, as they found that if flights got changed, the prices went up significantly.

59 minutes ago, SRF said:

Hmm, to Frankfurt?  Or London?  Or Paris?

I have had the same issue with those destinations.

When I asked TSA, the supervisor told that any one way ticket is suspect.

Now, this was earlier in TSA history.  But we also stopped traveling on one way tickets, as they found that if flights got changed, the prices went up significantly.

For our cruise this coming summer, we are flying to London. But instead of round trip tickets we used Princess EZ-Air, and have one way tickets there and back on different airlines. Will this raise a TSA concern?

10 hours ago, ontheweb said:

For our cruise this coming summer, we are flying to London. But instead of round trip tickets we used Princess EZ-Air, and have one way tickets there and back on different airlines. Will this raise a TSA concern?

Not on your return flight from London. No TSA.