NZ Demanding Phone/Tablet passwords !

ilikeanswers,

this is very similar to what the ABC report recommends.

I think we are deliberating over nothing - the possibility of actually being asked to hand over our electronic devices is very low - and we know we will ALL do what is required at the time.

Edited by Porky55

3 hours ago, Tigerlily75 said:

They’re not the first, the US and Australia and no doubt others also have this right. I’m sure you can refuse but you’ll probably be going straight home if you do

Correct, refused entry, returned to your home port, you pay.  No good arguing with  customs/immigration/border security officers, you won't win and if you are real nasty the police will be called and off to the big house with you, see the beak in the morning.  Happens now and again at Sydney Airport, believe me.😎

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

A simple google search on border security requirements is quite revealing. Most countries know a lot about you well before you arrive, even down to your credit card and expiry date. While they do carry out random searches , they know who they want to pull aside and interview .

There is no real consensus on whether entry will be refused if you do not hand over phone access. There have been plenty of reports of people refusing to hand over passwords and yet still being allowed in the US😒. It seems there is no flat out rule as to whether it should or should not impede entry. I guess it is one of those depends on whether the border agent is having a good day or not😄.

What a country knows about you and what border security know are two different things. Different government organisations don't tend to talk to each other so unless it pops up on their computer or some direct request is made border security doesn't usually know that much about you. All they can do is make assumptions (which is usually where most of the problems stem from😳) or wait for something to turn up in their standard searches. Perhaps if better information was provided security could go quicker without all the time wasted on "random" searches😋.

To all overseas visitors to NZ, no one is forcing you to travel to NZ. If you want to come you have to obey NZ laws. If that is too onerous for you , you can always stay home. You don't complain about our biosecurity laws why should you complain about other laws designed to protect New Zealanders. If you have nothing to hide obey the requests, you can always change your passwords later. Just a matter of interest the toerag who shot up the mosques in Christchurch was a visitor to our country.

Rules have changed folks get with the programme or stay home

6 minutes ago, Beanb41 said:

To all overseas visitors to NZ, no one is forcing you to travel to NZ. If you want to come you have to obey NZ laws. If that is too onerous for you , you can always stay home. You don't complain about our biosecurity laws why should you complain about other laws designed to protect New Zealanders. If you have nothing to hide obey the requests, you can always change your passwords later. Just a matter of interest the toerag who shot up the mosques in Christchurch was a visitor to our country.

A justified comment. Them's the rules.

2 hours ago, Beanb41 said:

But rules don’t apply to many on Cruise Critic, hadn’t you noticed? And yes I’ve seen some complain about biosecurity laws and say they just take food off the ship.

2 hours ago, GUT2407 said:

And yes I’ve seen some complain about biosecurity laws and say they just take food off the ship.

Until the adorable little dog sniffs the food out and they get hit with a serious fine. 🤔🙄🤣

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

6 hours ago, Beanb41 said:

You again. I am very thankful to Mr Dutton for sending all your troublemakers back to where they came from. Perhaps you should tell your PM to quit complaining about our laws to protect Australians before you go shooting your fingers off about your country protecting your own. You really haven't heard of the glass house philosophy haven't you.

2 hours ago, Brisbane41 said:

You again. I am very thankful to Mr Dutton for sending all your troublemakers back to where they came from. Perhaps you should tell your PM to quit complaining about our laws to protect Australians before you go shooting your fingers off about your country protecting your own. You really haven't heard of the glass house philosophy haven't you.

"You again?"""

As for your comment, just because they are your PM doesn't mean you hold the same opinions as them. There's no way I would be associated with some of the stupid clown opinions some of our recent PMs have had, which has led to a debacle of policy failures.

• Like 1

On 28 July 2019 at 1:36 AM, ilikeanswers said:

There is no real consensus on whether entry will be refused if you do not hand over phone access. There have been plenty of reports of people refusing to hand over passwords and yet still being allowed in the US😒. It seems there is no flat out rule as to whether it should or should not impede entry. I guess it is one of those depends on whether the border agent is having a good day or not😄.

What a country knows about you and what border security know are two different things. Different government organisations don't tend to talk to each other so unless it pops up on their computer or some direct request is made border security doesn't usually know that much about you. All they can do is make assumptions (which is usually where most of the problems stem from😳) or wait for something to turn up in their standard searches. Perhaps if better information was provided security could go quicker without all the time wasted on "random" searches😋.

I can't see what the problem is

No one cares folks ...just enjoy your travels byand your life. You are not important at all to anybody outside your bubble and the more indignant you get the less important you really are. What are the chances you are a dodgy suspect ???? Do you have a problem with security scrutiny at airports ? Cruise ships? To keep you safe from people who may want to kill everyone on board ? 

I didn't think so - sadly safety is an enforcement not a privacy right anymore 

So you have already forfeited any privacy by operating a smart phone anyway (THEY KNOW EXACTLY WHERE YOU ARE) - who you called and for how long plus every electronic key you press is there on the ether for ever 

So it really is ok for a country to do what it needs to keep its people safe

Just remember if you are paranoid about privacy - no else cares about you ... Just the bad guys - so sadly you are not even on the radar no matter how much you wish you  were 

If you want to ruin your holiday and be paranoid way above any real threat to your privacy go right ahead. Just lock  your door and stay home  You need to realise  that THEY who try to keep you alive don't give a damn about your indignation or you  either. ( no matter how important you feel you are )They are searching for the bad guys The world has changed and we need to get used to it

I think I can cope with a non issue like this

12 minutes ago, Peterpatter said:

No one cares folks ...just enjoy your travels byand your life. You are not important at all to anybody outside your bubble and the more indignant you get the less important you really are. What are the chances you are a dodgy suspect ???? Do you have a problem with security scrutiny at airports ? Cruise ships? To keep you safe from people who may want to kill everyone on board ? 

I didn't think so - sadly safety is an enforcement not a privacy right anymore 

So you have already forfeited any privacy by operating a smart phone anyway (THEY KNOW EXACTLY WHERE YOU ARE) - who you called and for how long plus every electronic key you press is there on the ether for ever 

So it really is ok for a country to do what it needs to keep its people safe

Just remember if you are paranoid about privacy - no else cares about you ... Just the bad guys - so sadly you are not even on the radar no matter how much you wish you  were 

If you want to ruin your holiday and be paranoid way above any real threat to your privacy go right ahead. Just lock  your door and stay home  You need to realise  that THEY who try to keep you alive don't give a damn about your indignation or you  either. ( no matter how important you feel you are )They are searching for the bad guys The world has changed and we need to get used to it

I think I can cope with a non issue like this

True, the big brother overreach here with the collection of "meta" details exceeds that of any other Western country. It means you have less privacy and more tracking here than anywhere else. Forget passwords, they know all about what you're up to, who you communicate with, and where you go.

NZ's possible password collection pales in comparison.

4 minutes ago, Peterpatter said:

It is easy to say if you have never been stalked, suffered identity theft or had personal details made public for someone's amusement. The reality is we have seen abuse of these so called cyber security checks so valuating whether the risk to the individual is worth the benefit to society is a valid discussion. From what I've read though it does seem security experts are in agreement that these sort of checks are completely useless anyway. Their argument is that airport security are not trained in evaluating intelligence and essentially wouldn't know what to look for either way. By the way there is a thing called positive paranoia😜. People with positive paranoia are more likely to back up their hard drives, less likely to be scammed by that Nigerian Prince and they change their online bank account passwords at regulary intervals. A little drop of paranoia isn't always a bad thing😂.

For goodness sake 

it's a legit government (Kiwis God bless them ) taking a bit of extra care wot grubs get in to their beautiful shaky Isles

There is no Nigerian connection ere mate

i trust the Kiwis as blood brothers to us Aussies forever amen. Their security is every bit as good as ours and maybe even better because .. Well ... There's less of 'em

you paranoid buggers make me sick

I have over time had a laugh at Brisbane41s comment about Aussies deporting thugs to NZ.

Once one had to be a criminal to get into Australia. Now they allow young children into the country train them how to be thugs and serious criminals and because they can, send them back to their place of birth without taking responsibility for the actions in the intervening years.

Back in the day Australia had what was known as the white Australian policy where immigrants were allowed into Australia on the basis of their skin colour and ethnicity. They also have probably the most atrocious attitude and conduct towards their indigenous peoples. Just go for a ride around the Northern territories to see what I mean.

So Brisbane 41 before criticising what other countries are doing to protect their borders have a look in your own backyard first. Charity after all should begin at home and believe me there are an awful lot of indigenous Australians in need of a lot of assistance.

In the meantime we will continue to be the better brother and lock up your deadwood. I do however have absolutely no sympathy for those who immigrate to another country, live of the benefits but never fully integrate by becoming citizens. If I had my way here in GODZOWN all visas would expire as soon as one was eligible for citizenship. IF you don't want to be one of us then go home.   Wishful thinking because it aint going to happen. Too many political votes from these nohopers would be lost for politicians feathering their own nest

3 hours ago, Beanb41 said:

I have over time had a laugh at Brisbane41s comment about Aussies deporting thugs to NZ.

Once one had to be a criminal to get into Australia. Now they allow young children into the country train them how to be thugs and serious criminals and because they can, send them back to their place of birth without taking responsibility for the actions in the intervening years.

Back in the day Australia had what was known as the white Australian policy where immigrants were allowed into Australia on the basis of their skin colour and ethnicity. They also have probably the most atrocious attitude and conduct towards their indigenous peoples. Just go for a ride around the Northern territories to see what I mean.

So Brisbane 41 before criticising what other countries are doing to protect their borders have a look in your own backyard first. Charity after all should begin at home and believe me there are an awful lot of indigenous Australians in need of a lot of assistance.

In the meantime we will continue to be the better brother and lock up your deadwood. I do however have absolutely no sympathy for those who immigrate to another country, live of the benefits but never fully integrate by becoming citizens. If I had my way here in GODZOWN all visas would expire as soon as one was eligible for citizenship. IF you don't want to be one of us then go home.   Wishful thinking because it aint going to happen. Too many political votes from these nohopers would be lost for politicians feathering their own nest

Nice of you to get on your high horse re our indigenous people. Most people would assume that the Maori people would be the indigenous people of New Zealand, WRONG! There was an indigenous population in New Zealand when the Polynesians (Maori) arrived but they proceeded to wipe them out. If you doubt this then Go to the Te Papa museum in Wellington where quite a bit of floor space is devoted to this very subject.

22 minutes ago, Russell21 said:

Most people would assume that the Maori people would be the indigenous people of New Zealand, WRONG! There was an indigenous population in New Zealand when the Polynesians (Maori) arrived but they proceeded to wipe them out.

Lest anyone think there is something to this, it is actually what is termed unsubstantiated speculation.

There is not a shred of evidence to suggest that the original settlers of New Zealand were not Polynesians. If you want to quibble over whether all the Polynesian migrations to NZ were Maori, or that only one particular Polynesian migration was actually Maori, that's what you are doing, quibbling.