Sailing out of New Orleans in February

pup931

Hello,

I am booked on the Norwegian Getaway Feb. 2nd of 2020 in a Haven aft-facing penthouse. Its my 55th birthday so we were doing it up and choice this because the ship looked great. It didn't dawn on me that February will be cold in New Orleans and the outdoor activities would not be very pleasant. I am wondering if I should cancel the cruise because I don't want to be locked inside. We are going to 2 Mexico destinations. Any feedback? Other than forget the cold have fun anyway........🙂

What is your definition of cold? Up here, it's anything below -10C (and my DH would still call me a wuss for complaining). If you look online at the average daily highs in Feb for New Orleans,  I think you would find them cool, but not cold. And your ship isn't staying put, it's heading into the Gulf of Mexico. Google the average Feb temps of the Ports you would be visiting. I'd be very surprised if they would be anything other than warm to hot.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, pup931 said:

Hello,

I am booked on the Norwegian Getaway Feb. 2nd of 2020 in a Haven aft-facing penthouse. Its my 55th birthday so we were doing it up and choice this because the ship looked great. It didn't dawn on me that February will be cold in New Orleans and the outdoor activities would not be very pleasant. I am wondering if I should cancel the cruise because I don't want to be locked inside. We are going to 2 Mexico destinations. Any feedback? Other than forget the cold have fun anyway........🙂

It probably will not be any cooler than in Oakland. Once you get out of the Misissippi and into the Gulf unless a really strong cold front blows though temperatures will warm up nicely into the upper 70's to mid 80's. Baring the unusual your ports will be nice and warm.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

We were in New Orleans this past February and it was very pleasant and showery which we were informed is the norm. Shorts and T shirt with brolly.

....with Umbrella, 😀 for the anglophone challenged.  🌂

Edited by Sauer-kraut
  • Like 1

February in Louisiana could be like winter in the morning, Spring in the afternoon. Regardless, you are only departing/returning from New Orleans. The weather will hardly be a factor long enough for it to affect your trip. We sailed this past February out of Texas (similar climates) and other than fog, the temperature wasn't a factor. 

• Like 1

Mardi Gras happens in Feb in New Orleans.   Looks like it starts later in the month.  Only an issue if you plan on staying in town because hotels can book up.   

• Like 1

We visited Mexico in late March on our cruise from New Orleans and it was already getting near too-hot temperatures.  Mexico can be brutally hot much of the year. They have more of a  cool dry season and hot rainy season and this was the very tail end of dry season so we just beat the bugs and swampy humidity. 

Based on that experience I would think your time frame is better than ours was.  You may also have fewer kids and crowds aboard as the first spring break weeks usually start mid to late February so you are ahead of that. I personally would not cancel this date.  Every voyage is always a bit of a gamble though - weather is not entirely predictable at any time.

• Like 1

Late Jan - Early March is when we usually cruise due to our anniversary.
We sail out of either Galveston or New Orleans.

While the weather might be a bit chilly or rainy, once you get out into the gulf, it is usually in the 80s or 90s, especially in the ports.
We take a light jacket or windbreaker, but usually have no issues being in shorts and short sleeved shirt the whole time.

You'll love it!

Also, might I recommend Vincent's restaurant while you are there?
It is Italian and may not look like much, but it is a must whenever we visit.
Can be a bit busy at times, but definitely worth the wait.
I recommend the Chicken or Veal Marsala! (but anything you get there is delicious!)

I lived there for about 7 months after Katrina and was introduced to it by a buddy who is 3rd gen. New Orleans. Said it is his family's favorite and now it's ours as well!

• Like 1