Empress B2B - 14 Nights on the Biggest Little Ship

19 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

hhhhmmmmmmm...……………………...This makes RC's "Port Pass" excursion actually a (rare) good buy.    $36.99 

OVERVIEW

Stay on site at the Costa Maya Port and enjoy all we have to offer! Try out our Port Experiences and then sit back, relax and enjoy a couple of drinks. Tour includes three of our unique port activities: Aviary: Climb heights on this unique aviary experience. Traverse the habitats through hanging bridges with incredible views of the entire port, get ready to feed the most beautiful and exotic birds in the Caribbean. Kakaw: Get ready to know how the chocolate became a cultural sensation. Our chocolate factory is a great adventure full of flavor that you cannot miss. Tequila Museum: Follow Panchito and Macario to know the process of production of tequila of México. Afterwards, taste some of our best brand Tequilas. You will also have access to our Port Facilities (Lounge Chairs, Restrooms & Showers) FIRST COME FIRST SERVE. Finally relax and enjoy three complimentary House Drinks at bar del árbol (Margarita, Piña Colada, Daiquiri, water or soda) CMD5

I thought it would have been a good deal, but tequila doesn’t like me.  We fully intended to do the aviary/hanging walkway tour, but somehow time got away from us and we were too tired/hot/lazy and just went back to the ship.  At noon, there was a quite interesting boxing match at one of the bars (you can see most of it from the right place in the pool).  The only place I have ever been willing to stay at the port is Grand Turk, but it works out quite well in Costa Maya.

Great review.  We have sailed on Empress but it was years ago.  For the last several years we have been doing many b2b's on Oasis class but your review and photos has us missing the smaller, less busy ships so we are looking at options for b2b on Empress in Jan!  Thanks for reminding us about the Empress as it got lost in our minds with all the big ship hype!

• Like 1

When I talk about Empress not feeling small that comes from spaces like the forward elevator lobby that has space like this on deck 9:

5ilVIqT.jpg

One deck down.

FLZqY2w.jpg

Even the computer area has awesome views of the sea.

pqrlKkT.jpg

The Centrum is unique to the fleet.

MDjPoeG.jpg

pvYZRcU.jpg

iJ8idsp.jpg

m8IM8h4.jpg

I3VPnb8.jpg

zrOCvRj.jpg

rLo2Rzu.jpg

The generous spaces can be found on deck 5 around guest services and shore excursions too.

A008Cbd.jpg

Of course no ship is complete without shops.

65AEyfl.jpg

gawelxY.jpg

Also not pictured is a small Port Merchants with tobacco and alcohol.

A somewhat "hidden" feature are the forward public decks on 7 & 8.  Notice the small stairway to the right.

ThZc76V.jpg

The bow is open with no helipad.  This area exists on all ships but for the most part we don't see it as it's covered with a helipad.  

M6JJAXE.jpg

The stairs are open and free to use.  They lead to this open public deck 7 space.  Note the staircase on the far left.

NbCtmvh.jpg

Deck 7 view forward.

Wpkv4Yr.jpg

Going up one more level to deck 8 you can see the bridge on deck 9.

bOibWLO.jpg

This also provides a nice view forward.

G8XSmWr.jpg

Some people never find these public decks and they do have OV cabins that are right there so if you book a forward facing OV cabin be aware this space in front of your window is open to the public. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, twangster said:

A somewhat "hidden" feature are the forward public decks on 7 & 8.  Notice the small stairway to the right.

ThZc76V.jpg

The bow is open with no helipad.  This area exists on all ships but for the most part we don't see it as it's covered with a helipad.  

M6JJAXE.jpg

The stairs are open and free to use.  They lead to this open public deck 7 space.  Note the staircase on the far left.

NbCtmvh.jpg

Deck 7 view forward.

Wpkv4Yr.jpg

Going up one more level to deck 8 you can see the bridge on deck 9.

bOibWLO.jpg

This also provides a nice view forward.

G8XSmWr.jpg

Some people never find these public decks and they do have OV cabins that are right there so if you book a forward facing OV cabin be aware this space in front of your window is open to the public. 

Wait a minute. The doors at deck 8 forward say not to go out there. Emergency access only.

4 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Wait a minute. The doors at deck 8 forward say not to go out there. Emergency access only.

Yep.  From inside the ship on deck 7 & 8 the doors leading to this area say "Emergency Use Only". 

Just walk forward on deck 6 outside and go up the stairs.  The stairs are open with no signs not to use them.  

Edited by twangster
  • Thanks 1

Just now, twangster said:

Yep.  Just walk forward on deck 6 outside and go up the stairs.  The stairs are open with no signs not to use them.  

That seems a contradiction.  Can you take a picture of the deck 8 sign. Here is the one from the aft stairs.

20190714_134136.thumb.jpg.e802bb1e6dc1e55fbdb7b06406b3fc60.jpg

I can't speak to the aft stairs and doors.  The forward doors on deck 7 & 8 are not normal guest doors.  They are doors ready to handle the effects of any angry sea in worst case weather.  From that perspective I can see why they don't want guests trying to operate watertight doors.  

However, once you are outside on deck 6, the sort of jogging track outside, the stairs going up to these public decks are not barred or signed not to access.  They are wide open for any guest to walk right up.  

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

The last time I saw this, they put the medical refrigerator on the vanity/desk top.  Or was it under the desk?  Whichever, it was out of the way.   🙂 

Thank you, nothing is worse than stubbing your toe in the middle of the night!

I can't speak to the aft stairs and doors.  The forward doors on deck 7 & 8 are not normal guest doors.  They are doors ready to handle the effects of any angry sea in worst case weather.  From that perspective I can see why they don't want guests trying to operate watertight doors.  

However, once you are outside on deck 6, the sort of jogging track outside, the stairs going up to these public decks are not barred or signed not to access.  They are wide open for any guest to walk right up.  
They were pretty normal looking doors to me. That's why I asked for the picture, my memory is fading

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

32 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

They were pretty normal looking doors to me. That's why I asked for the picture, my memory is fading

Deck 8 forward door, port side.

IMG_1950.thumb.JPG.4974b1e0a923731094505164a2e040f3.JPG

Earlier today all upper and lower clasps were closed on 3 of 4 doors.  Outside there are handles to open them marked with a "O" and a "C".  Tonight the starboard deck 8 door has both clasps open and the port deck 8 door pictured above is open on the bottom and closed on top.  Someone has been ignoring the signs and using these doors.  

I just go outside and access these decks from deck 6 which is allowed.

Edited by twangster
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, twangster said:

Deck 8 forward door, port side.

IMG_1950.thumb.JPG.4974b1e0a923731094505164a2e040f3.JPG

Earlier today all upper and lower clasps were closed on 3 of 4 doors.  Outside there are handles to open them marked with a "O" and a "C".  Tonight the starboard deck 8 door has both clasps open and the port deck 8 door pictured above above is open on the bottom and closed on top.  Someone has been ignoring the signs and using these doors.  

I just go outside and access these decks from deck 6 which is allowed.

They were open when I saw them. 

I thought they had to be since they were exit doors.

8 hours ago, twangster said:

I wasn't aware that Empress ever had a diamond lounge in the VCL.  July 2018 when I last sailed her it didn't. 

They do suggest that the VCL is a place where Diamond or higher members can gather to meet with other Diamond or higher members while they enjoy their 3 drink coupons but they also specifically state the area is open to all guests on board during this time.  

Area was open to all when we sailed to Cuba on Empress.  We were able to get unlimited drinks in VCL during Happy Hour.

We really enjoyed Empress and somehow it felt homey and very welcoming.  Wish they would move her back to Tampa the closets port to me.

Some stray observations...

Teas and coffee offered in this JS:

nqqPRjI.jpg

BuZlTc9.jpg

Five types of sugar/sweetener/artificial whatever

BtfKyKB.jpg

Deck 6 walking/jogging track is 1/4 mile per lap

OZWoi1M.jpg

There is a small arcade on board.

du594al.jpg

cJxWfkp.jpg

• Like 1

Day 5 WJ dinner:  American Night

bwiU3kN.jpg

Wings and beer sounded like a great dinner idea.  Jerk and BBQ seasoned wings available.

det1NZO.jpg

Tequila tasing in Boleros, $16

0omz4Mx.jpg

DqXgnRV.jpg

I checked out the VCL during Diamond Happy Hour.  It was a ghost town.

UxcoGdI.jpg

• Like 1

Crew Flag of Nations in the Centrum

pm2X1TO.jpg

FLAYbyV.jpg

851cX0O.jpg

Comedian and Hypnotist in the theater tonight

y8MvxHW.jpg

The moment during the CD's wrap up that one guest discovered her belly button was missing.  No worries, it will reappear once she leave the theater.

Wz3FNg9.jpg

• Like 1

Day 6 - Sea Day

Noted a Diamond only breakfast area in the MDR

H2N1Nxh.jpg

Voom results this morning.

LPPosxb.jpg

Voom history for this sailing.

xVS726D.jpg

Our progress so far...

iO79fwd.jpg

I tried to use the new Royal app to look at a something in a future cruise. Empress isn't supported in the app but I wanted to look at a future cruise that is supported in the app.  I couldn't get past this screen while on Empress.  

FTe1q4p.jpg

There is no moving this past this 'link a cruise' page unless you connect your phone to a VPN service, then the Royal app functions like it does when you are at home looking at future cruises.

atIVQlC.jpg

Flat seas this morning making for smooth sailing as we make our way back to Miami for turn around day.  

Chops breakfast available in the morning but only from 7am to 8am.

Consecutive cruiser letter was in my cabin last night.  Meeting point is deck 5 Schooner Bar at 9:30am.

Edited by twangster
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, cruisingagentone said:

Just a quick question...is the area behind Boleros the only smoking area?

Any smoking area with a bar

Thank You in advance

Pool deck forward port side is smoking as well.  Deck 6 outside (covered deck under lifeboats) is also a smoking area on one side.

@twangster

Quest in the theater???  I guess that it's the only space for it.  How weird/difficult was that?

I love the Parade of Nations/Flag display thing!  The smaller ships do this right!

You have an amazing eye for detail.  The sugar/artificial sweetener packets?!?!?!?  LOL