Live from the Sunrise 7/22 sailing review

jimbo5544

For any interested, thought I would start my Sunrise review while on the sailing. Dor the few who so not know me, been here a while, long time cruiser (mostly Carnival -this is our 36th sailing).   We are leading a group of high school graduating class families.  This cruise started about a year and a half ago when this ship used to be the Triumph.  

Jump forward to yesterday and embarkation.  Easily the smoothest embarkation we have done out of New York   Our ride down from Ct was painless (minus the potty break half way - rookies).  

• Like 3

So glad you are doing a review while on board!  I have followed you in the past.  We will be on the Sunrise the end of August.  I will be anxiously awaiting your next post!  Thank you for doing this!!

23 minutes ago, WMQueenie said:

So glad you are doing a review while on board!  I have followed you in the past.  We will be on the Sunrise the end of August.  I will be anxiously awaiting your next post!  Thank you for doing this!!

My pleasure, pics coming

I think I asked you or someone else this but can't remember if I got an answer, how is the Serenity Area on the Sunrise? One of the Sunshine's redeeming qualities is this area imo, hoping they did it up right with the cool waterfall feature.

Also if you don't mind, could you send pics of the roulette wheel? Trying to see if there's a third 0 on the sunrise.

Thank You, Been waiting for you to post.

Find me a nice quiet area out of the way of everyone outside!

Be on her in Sept.

And we have an Aft wrap on 6, If anyone of your crew is back there find out what the Steward likes and we'll bring/her him some as a surprise.

Edited by thesmiths

59 minutes ago, lottiegreen56 said:

I think I asked you or someone else this but can't remember if I got an answer, how is the Serenity Area on the Sunrise? One of the Sunshine's redeeming qualities is this area imo, hoping they did it up right with the cool waterfall feature.

Also if you don't mind, could you send pics of the roulette wheel? Trying to see if there's a third 0 on the sunrise.

Have not been there on the cruise yet (but closed today due to winds) but i def will.  Think I can get your answer on roulette also.  

Edited by jimbo5544

1 hour ago, thesmiths said:

Thank You, Been waiting for you to post.

Find me a nice quiet area out of the way of everyone outside!

Be on her in Sept.

And we have an Aft wrap on 6, If anyone of your crew is back there find out what the Steward likes and we'll bring/her him some as a surprise.

Which side?

2 hours ago, lottiegreen56 said:

They did not duplicate the Sunshine Serenity area on Sunrise and in the future on Radiance. The Serenity area on Sunshine, while nice to look at, is anything but serene based on its location right next to the Lido pool.  Fortunately, Carnival listened to the frequent complaints about the Serenity area on Sunshine and did not duplicate this area on Sunrise and Radiance.  

• Like 1

Glad to see that someone had a "great time" on this ship.  This will be my 9th CCL cruise including the Triumph out of Puerto Rico many years ago along with 4 other cruise lines and I've enjoyed everyone.  After reading every review since April, I am very concerned about my upcoming Sunrise sailing on 9/16.  There is a consistency of complaints that is very alarming and CCL doesn't seem to be changing anything to improve future sailings.  I realize some of the reviews are written by people who complained about the food, the ship, the entertainment,  the ports, the beaches, their fellow pax, etc.  Some are written with so much hyperbole that they make no sense.  Even eliminating  their reviews, I'm still left with a very bad feeling that this booking was a really bad mistake.  I wish more past pax would say some nice things (there has to be something positive) about their experience.  I kind of "sold" this cruise to 4 of my girlfriends and now I'm filled with anxiety that it'll be a disaster.

We are booked on her in November over Thanksgiving I have also read a lot of negative reviews But I have never been on a bad cruise and have sailed Carnival 15 times on various ships some new some older ships. Some of the reviews are laughable at what they are complaining about and make no sense.   I am not worried at all I know we will have a good time.    

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Kellyann said:

Glad to see that someone had a "great time" on this ship.  This will be my 9th CCL cruise including the Triumph out of Puerto Rico many years ago along with 4 other cruise lines and I've enjoyed everyone.  After reading every review since April, I am very concerned about my upcoming Sunrise sailing on 9/16.  There is a consistency of complaints that is very alarming and CCL doesn't seem to be changing anything to improve future sailings.  I realize some of the reviews are written by people who complained about the food, the ship, the entertainment,  the ports, the beaches, their fellow pax, etc.  Some are written with so much hyperbole that they make no sense.  Even eliminating  their reviews, I'm still left with a very bad feeling that this booking was a really bad mistake.  I wish more past pax would say some nice things (there has to be something positive) about their experience.  I kind of "sold" this cruise to 4 of my girlfriends and now I'm filled with anxiety that it'll be a disaster.

If you go with that attitude you will have a lousy time. Go with the expectation that you and your friends will have a great time. When the Sunshine was transformed from the Destiny the reviews were very negative and worse. If we had listened to the reviews we wouldn't have set foot on the ship. We wanted to form our own opinions and we wound up having two great cruises on her. BTW, we will also be on the Sunrise on 9/16 to Bermuda, plus the following cruise to New England and Canada B2B. See you on board! 😎

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Kellyann said:

Relax, I have found nothing to date to cause you any concern.  

3 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

So I had a health setback that popped up yesterday morning which has kept me “out of the loop” (not seasickness).   Almost back to par and hope to catch up hear soon.  

Feel better!

• Thanks 1

A couple more comments about embarkation.  The worst part of cruising, well maybe getting off is..... but I have to say that this was smooth.  After getting our reprinter slips (we were running out of paper at my daughters house where we were staying precruise) and we printed on pink paper.    Note to others, not a good idea.  It was almost 11:30 and they were well into the embarkation process.  We were checked no fewer than 4 times as we

made our way to board.   I can only attribute this to the layout at the pier but was all good.  

After boarding, we went and dropped off bags (room was ready!) and we made our way up to get something to eat.  One glitch was we did not receive our bags till almost 5:30,  by far the worst effort we have gotten since they implemented the loyalty program.  Not a big deal.