Cruise Critic Community
tellumom

Budapest on Avalon

Can anyone tell me where the included excursion in Budapest goes?  I am trying to plan my extra day without repeating.  Also, any info on the Vienna and Prague tours that they include would be helpful.  I tried calling but they don't have that info.

Thanks!!

We took Avalon last year from Budapest to Prague.  We arrived early because we wanted to spend more time in Budapest (Parliament tour, Hospital in the Rocks, Szenchi Baths, etc) The included tour had a running commentary by our guide and we passed by a number of landmarks.  It had stops at Heroes Square and Fisherman's Bastion/St Matthias church.  The tour ended in Buda, and those who wanted additional time there could stay rather than going back to hotel.

In Vienna, our tour included a ride around the Ringstrasse and then a walking tour in the city center.  We could not go in to the Cathedral (Sunday Mass) and it did not include entrance to any attractions/museums.  We went to the Hapsburg Palace and the Albertina museum on our own - also did a 1 hour tour of the riding school and saw the Lippizaners in their stables.  Avalon offered an optional tour of Schoenbrunn Palace in the afternoon.  If you are overnighting in Vienna they may offer a musical evening - concert in historic venue - we did it independently, went to the Kursalon

In Prague, our early morning tour went to the Castle district, St Vitus Cathedral, and then we disembarked from the bus in the Jewish quarter and walked with our guide to Old Town Square and the astronomical clock.  The tour ended there.  Avalon offered a number of optional tours, but we did chose to tour on our own.

Have a fabulous trip!

We are on an Avalon cruise with an overnight in Budapest. We wanted to tour inside the beautiful Hungarian Parliament but couldn't book tickets if it conflicted with the included Avalon tour. Our TA checked into this and the included Budapest tour is in the morning so we booked for 1:30 in the afternoon.

I suggest a visit to the Hungarian Central Market. It is huge! IDK if you have ever visited Cleveland's West Side Market since you are from Ohio, but the Budapest Market is quadruple the size of that one!

Thanks for that info.  We will also book our tickets for the afternoon. The Market is on our list!  We go to th West Side Market almost every week, so we wouldn't miss the one in Budapest!!  Are you doing any tours besides what Avalon offers and Parliament?

16 hours ago, tellumom said:

Thanks for that info.  We will also book our tickets for the afternoon. The Market is on our list!  We go to th West Side Market almost every week, so we wouldn't miss the one in Budapest!!  Are you doing any tours besides what Avalon offers and Parliament?

Our cruise leaves Nuremberg on November 7- wouldn't it be fun if you were on that cruise too! We are not doing the Prague option b.c. we've been there, Vienna & Budapest on land trips. The only optional Avalon tour we are booking is to Cesky Krumlow. For Vienna, my DH & I are seriously considering an independent tour to Bratislava, but if not we may do a Tours by Locals in the afternoon and/or evening. IMHO in Vienna, the Hapsburg Palace would be a better option than Schonbrunn Palace since the gardens will be dormant if you are going in mid to late fall..

In case you don't have it, here is the link for tix to the Hungarian Parliament:

https://www.jegymester.hu/eng/Production/480000/Parlamenti-latogatas#anchor_list

Edited by TMLAalum

Thanks for the tour suggestion and the Parliament link!!

We are headed in mid September and are deciding whether to do Schonbrunn.  We have been to Versailles and the summer palace in St. Petersburg, so are thinking we might rather spend the time wandering Vienna in the afternoon, and maybe a concert in the evening(an excursion from Avalon).

Enjoy your trip!