what would you have done?

cthrn27

Say, hypothetically, on your cruise there is a particular cabin that is enjoying a product that requires matches or a lighter to be enjoyed.  They are in their own cabin, but the smell is unusually foul and wafts not only into the hallway, but into the other rooms..  An offhand question to the steward makes you think the steward is aware of this, and  you assume something will be done.  Unfortunately, nothing is done.  This is not a condemnation of the product, but a concern that any type of fire on a boat is a potential hazard.  This continues.  Do you say something?  to guest services?  would this get the steward in trouble?  would the people be kicked off?

There's nothing wrong with condemnation of the "product". You don't need to be so PC. It's illegal onboard ship and smoking of any kind is specifically banned in cabins.  I would call and report it.  Steward not likely to get into trouble, but really, they are supposed to report smoking of any kind.

Edited by BND
  • Like 12

For many, many years smoking was allowed on the balcony, millions of cruisers, a ship has never burned down over a cigarette. Gheez I rode a bike for 30 years before helmets were widely used, fortunately my head is still intact. I'm more of a live and let live kind of guy. 

• Like 9

59 minutes ago, cthrn27 said:

Say, hypothetically, on your cruise there is a particular cabin that is enjoying a product that requires matches or a lighter to be enjoyed.  They are in their own cabin, but the smell is unusually foul and wafts not only into the hallway, but into the other rooms..  An offhand question to the steward makes you think the steward is aware of this, and  you assume something will be done.  Unfortunately, nothing is done.  This is not a condemnation of the product, but a concern that any type of fire on a boat is a potential hazard.  This continues.  Do you say something?  to guest services?  would this get the steward in trouble?  would the people be kicked off?

Cabin stewards don't really have the power to do anything, or they just won't confront the guest because they don't want to upset them/lose tips. Guest services is the right way to report this. I've had to do it before when my balcony neighbor was smoking. I can't and won't tolerate drug/cigar/cigarette smell in my personal space that I've paid for. It's damaging to my health.

• Like 14

2 minutes ago, riffatsea said:

It doesn't matter which "product" as smoking is just not allowed in cabins or on balconies!

I'd definitely tell guest services about it!!

Lots of us use "products" legally in our home states but not on ships!

It's also against Federal law which is what the ships follow.  Some of us have no interest in using and can also lose our jobs if we do so, regardless of state laws.  The biggest issue here is there is no smoking of any kind allowed in cabins so what it is is irrelevant.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, cthrn27 said:

I'm going to the CS desk, waiting for the Chief of Security and then telling them exactly what I've experienced. No chance I let that go unpunished. I'm all for people enjoying themselves in almost every way, but within the rules and limits imposed by the cruise line.

• Like 3

I agree.  As someone who smokes and "smokes", if there is *any* appropriate place to "smoke", it's on your balcony, and then only if there is no one else on their balcony around you.  I subscribe to the "we're all on vacation" philosophy in that I don't want other people to ruin my vacation and I don't want to ruin theirs.  If other people notice it, you're not  being discrete enough.

If you're in an inside cabin, don't even try.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, mferris77 said:

I agree.  As someone who smokes and "smokes", if there is *any* appropriate place to "smoke", it's on your balcony, and then only if there is no one else on their balcony around you.  I subscribe to the "we're all on vacation" philosophy in that I don't want other people to ruin my vacation and I don't want to ruin theirs.  If other people notice it, you're not  being discrete enough.

If you're in an inside cabin, don't even try.

Um, what?  It's not allowed on balconies.

• Like 6

I don't have any problems condemning "the product." And I wouldn't hesitate to report it. I was first thinking that I'd give the steward a chance to rectify the situation, but Doggielover is probably right. They tend to not want to upset guests for fear of repercussions from Carnival. So yeah, I'd just go to Guest Services. We spend a lot of money to enjoy a cruise vacation and shouldn't have to smell smoke (especially the foul stench of marijuana) from our cabin. I'm not going to sacrifice our comfort in the name of minding my own business, as someone put it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

For me, i love the smell of a good marijuana cigarette, and if it doesn't really bother you then i would just let it go. But if it bothers you, i guess you have to do what you have to do. I love how so many on here are so concerned about a fire, but smoking (anything) never caused a fire onboard a ship.

I can see this turning into a "lecture" thread. I believe some people responses about thier health is just a "feel good" response. imo    Me and the wife would just let it go, but some won't, so it just depends on how much it truly bothers you.

• Like 4

I would have reported it for nothing else as I don't want the smell of cigarettes, cigars, or marijauana in my room.  I don't mind the smell of cigars, but in appropriate places.  I don't want that smell in my room where I sleep.  If you are that hard up for it, smoke it in port while off the ship.  I feel like you are just stupid to smoke in your room...the smell is definitely going to be noticeable.

• Like 4

My take is this...

The people that are doing the "smoking", be it cigarettes, cigars, marijuana, or whatever, they know from the moment they lit up, that is against the rules, be it the ship's policy, or the law.

Knowing that, they must also realize that someone may call security or Guest Services.

So it again becomes, in "the smokers" case, the rules don't apply to me.

So, also hypothetically, the following scene:

Security: We have a report of "smoking" in your cabin, guests are complaining.

"Smokers": Funny, we have been smelling something also. You know I really think it is the cabin next to us, they make a lot of noise at night too. You may want to check them out and quit bothering us. Bring your supervisor here, I want to file a complaint.

Later that evening they get a bottle of bubbly and strawberries from John Heald...

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, ObstructedView2 said:

Star Princess fire March 2006 located@: 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Princess

image1439165.jpg

120413014-6b08797209-z.jpg

PICT0008-grid-6x2.jpg

😨

There was a thread a while back in which some posters claimed that the fire on the Star Princess was not caused by a cigarette because the investigation only labeled it as the most likely cause.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, FSHLOT said:

never caused a fire onboard a ship.

I served on several ships in the Navy and I find that statement hard to swallow. It may not have caused a major fire but I'm almost positive that fires have occurred (even if only confined to an ash tray).

As for the original question if it's interfering with our enjoyment of the cruise we would complain to Guest Services. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

There was a thread a while back in which some posters claimed that the fire on the Star Princess was not caused by a cigarette because the investigation only labeled it as the most likely cause.

Only because the investigators could not find a cause. As I understand it they were not able to replicate the fire by a cigarette under lab conditions.

• Like 2